Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The Orchid Hotel on the Big Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-orchid-hotel-on-the-big-island-387377/)

Wilikinia Jan 14th, 2004 02:23 PM

The Orchid Hotel on the Big Island

has any stayed at the Orchid recently? is there construction taking place on the property or next door? How is their pool area and beach?

Jenn Jan 15th, 2004 06:19 PM

We stayed for a week this summer. The
construction is a little past thier beach/cove and was not bothersome at that point. You can ask for a room on
the other side of the hotel and not be
bothered at all. Our room was actually on the side with the construction and it
still did not bother us.
The beach is small and calm - more of a
cove. Great for families and beginning
snokeling. We liked it. The pool was
very nice. A large freeform design with
lot of nooks for privacy. Our family
enjoyed the Orchid very much. It has a
lovely relaxed atmosephere. Have fun.

JillianinMN Jan 17th, 2004 04:42 PM

You will love this resort. Fantastic.
Our room had a view of the interior areas and was fantastic. The nightly tourch lighting is fun to watch, and even more fun for the kids to run along. You must try Browns Beach House. Again, simply fantastic. The live entertainment, mixed with the sound of the surf made the typical Hawaiian dream come true. The construction is far enough away that it is not bothersome at all. Jenn has the beach and pool area described exactly as is. If you snorkle, be sure to look for a turtle they have named "Tripod" after and unfortunate run-in with a tiger shark. If I ever return to the Big Island, I will be sure to return to the Orchid as well. Enjoy!

Heavens Jan 18th, 2004 08:05 AM

We stayed at the Orchid last April for a business awards trip. It was lovely. One of our favorite trips. The grounds are beautiful, very gracious and relaxing. The food there is fabulous. The buffet breakfast is one of the best I have ever had. Their mac nut sticky buns are awesome and every morning they have fresh fish and I would go for that.

It is pretty quiet at night.

Mauna Kea is just up the road and worth a visit for golf or shopping of a lunch. That is an amazing property.

aimeemorice Jan 20th, 2004 06:34 AM

we just got back from 6 nights there on saturday.. it was BEAUTIFUL!! this was our 3rd time back!!
dont worry about the construction.. theyve actually gotten a lot done in the last year or so and now its grown up with bushes and flowers. i didnt hear a thing!!
by the way.. the surf was 15 ft high and was coming over onto the lawn of the orchid by the sand bottom hottub!! crazy!!!
have a lava flow and mauna kea snow top for us at the bar!!!
and browns for dinner is still amazing-- we went 3 nights.
and dropped $300.00 at the Grill one night for teh best dinner we ever had!!!
aloha!
aimee

Heavens Jan 20th, 2004 09:14 AM

15 foot waves, OMG. Were the tortoises still there? Or did they get washed to sea? That could be a little scarey to have the waves come up on the lawn. Loved to have seen that.

Oh yeah, lava flows. We had a lunch by the beach there on our last day and our friend's wife put away quite a few of those LF's.