Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The nation's 10th largest airline - ATA files for bankruptcy today

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y40A32F99
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Thanks for posting that AAFrequentFlyer. Now I have to call them. DH bought tickets to Chicago that we were unable to use. They banked them for us & we were going to apply to a trip we're planning in March to AZ. What normally happens in these circumstances?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:12 PM

ATA's Chicago Midway & New York LaGuardia routes and gates have been sold to AirTran, and they're retaining their Indianapolis Operation. If you haven't got your AZ trip ticketed yet, you may have to fly through Indy...
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

ATA's statement about future flights to/from Midway:

We remain committed to serving our Midway customers during this transition and our arrangement with AirTran allows us to have significant support from one of the strongest low cost carriers. ATA passengers holding existing reservations for flights to and from Chicago Midway will be serviced seamlessly under their originally issued tickets, without the need for re-booking flights with other carriers.

You could read more here:

http://www.restructuringata.com/

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the info! Our flight actually originates in Flint, MI going to Midway. I'm sure that the posted info applies. Thanks all!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:35 AM
JJ5

We have tickets for an early Feb. roundtrip to FL. I have known about this for awhile, and it is such bad news for all the new pilots and aviation mechanics that were going into the new center on Cicero Ave. How very, very sad! They were underpriced, especially this last year or two. CHICAGO airport politics coupled with general aviation / federal dictates- it's all rough.

It's probably going to take a whole year before it is totally restructured.

ATA was not always on time, but it was a terrific airlines for safety and also for good compensations for flights cancelled. Thanks, ATA! I hope whatever plane I get in Feb. still has your logo on it.

Someday we are going to hear the true story about gating fees etc. at Chicago airports, and especially Midway. So far da Mayor has plowed up one airport(Meigs), nixed another (Peotone) and failed to get the third one's extension really started (O'Hare). But he finds a way to have fleets of trucks sitting, while running, and doing nothing- so that all the troups of chronies get paid double or triple dipping. Business as usual in Chicago. The city that works- but for whom. The tourists who get another park downtown? How do they get here?
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:41 AM
GoTravel

Don't plan on this being the last airline to file.

All of the majors except for Southwest are on deck.