Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The most obnoxious tourists according to Time Online.

Notices

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted this in the Europe Board. I suppose there might be some interest here.

Anyway, without naming specific names from this board (kidding only), and according to a recent Time Online article, they’re the Chinese, Indians and French.

The Japanese are the most polite, quiet and tidy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2008070...riststhefrench
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:43 AM

I agree, with the listing but from personal experience I would put the French as the most obnoxious, being loud and very rude. I would put Germans second.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Most obnoxious I have run into are Israelis, first, then the Germans.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Ignore all the "rules" above about the most obnoxious tourists.

The most obnoxious tourists are always the ones worrying the most about who the most obnoxious tourists are.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Personally, in my limited travels in Europe.. I once got rudely knocked hard with an elbow (almost took me off my feet) in Heathrow by someone speaking French (though I could not say they were from France), with not so much as a "by your leave" or "so sorry" (which the latter would lead me to believe one was British).

And my only really rude experience in Paris was waiting in a taxi queue at Notre Dame, and a man I believed to be German (who I do believe had one or two alcoholic beverages prior to getting in the queue) kept trying to hijack every taxi that came up. (His wife, on the other hand, seemed quite embarrassed and kept yelling at him to wait.)

I found no other rude behavior by the French or anyone else while I was in Paris. Nor did I find any rude behavior by Italians or other tourists when I was in Italy.

Maybe I'm just lucky!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM

I should state, though, that I did watch a case on Court TV last week where one American was accused (and apparently quite guilty) of pushing other Americans in the line waiting to ride the Teacups at Disney. She then accosted and beat up one of the moms whose child informed on her pushy tactics. Sigh...
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM

I'm sure people from other countries would say that American tourists are obnoxious.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I do agree with Japanese tourists being great tourists. They are so polite, and always seems so neat and well organized. It's a stereotype that seems to run pretty true.

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:49 AM

French and Germans top the list.

Japanese are nice but they don't know how to walk on the crowded streets. They create traffic jams.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM

I don't think you can classify tht way - a tourists are sometimes operating under diferent sets of assumptions - or fearful/confused.

I have had bad expereinces with Japanese tourists (members of a group seemed to mob together waiting for an elevator -pushing other people aside - I think fom fear of being separated from their group - as well as used to mobbing intheir subway.

I have also been pushed out of line at a sandwich shop in Rome be several elderly Irish nuns - again, I think, fearful of being separted (by 3 people) from the rest of their group. One just kep nudging into me. When I finally turned and asked her what the problem was she seemed embarrased. So - we gestured for them - about 8 - to get ahead of us - since they seemed concerned.

Also - many nationalities - who stil smoke - and puff away with no thought of where the smoke is going.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM

The rudest people I have ever met were at the Vatican. After waiting a long time in line to get in, when we entered the Vatican several of us went to the line for the ladies room. We saw some ladies going around the line. Not sure what was going on until we got to the restroom area and saw there were 2 stalls being used by a group of Italian women who would go around the line and take the stall over when someone in their group finished. At one point I thought there was going to be a riot, but they were undeterred.

Later in the day at the Vatican gift shop we ran into this same group again. There was a small mens and ladies restroom. These women took over both restrooms and wouldn't let anybody in until their group was finished.