Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The london? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-london-692353/)

cindymal Mar 29th, 2007 07:42 PM

The london?

Has anyone stayed there.I have booked a vista suite.The rate was pretty good $459, and it looks great on their website.Also has anyone had dinner at the Hotels restaurant?
Thanks

cabovacation Mar 29th, 2007 09:03 PM

Both my sister and I always stayed at that hotel before it became The London...I mean she stayed hundreds of times...and I several....and we adored it. Now she has stayed at the London and still liked it very much but felt the ambience was much more cold. Colder decor and furnishings - but that is personal. Otherwise, she liked the service and the room size is great. We have not been to the restaurant, but could there be more press about a hotel restaurant? Please do tell us all about it!

mclaurie Mar 30th, 2007 02:53 AM

I know several Brits who've been to the restaurant and they all loved it. When asked why come to NYC to go to a British chef's place, they answer the exchange rate here makes it much more affordable than the English counterparts are in London. Don't forget the London is also not far from Le Bernardin. Look forward to your report. When are you going?

NeoPatrick Mar 30th, 2007 05:18 AM

Interesting about Gordon Ramsey being more affordable in NYC than London.
Actually if you take the NYC menu prices, add the 8% tax and an expected 20% tip, you have almost the exact London prices, which include tax and service. Of course many will add extra tip in London, but many will add extra tip in New York as well. So I didn't really see any major difference in price.

But it should still be a wonderful dining experience -- and why not go to New York for a London chef? People have been doing that for French or Italian chefs for years.

mclaurie Mar 30th, 2007 03:45 PM

Seven courses for £110.00 at Ramsey's in London.

Eight courses for $110.00 at the London in NYC. That's half price.

NeoPatrick Mar 30th, 2007 06:18 PM

I'm confused. What I was comparing was the "prestige menu" in NYC at $110 which matches the "prestige menu" at Gordon Ramsey at Claridges for 75 pounds. That seemed to be a more logical comparison. I didn't see the 8 course menu in London, nor do I know how it compares to the two almost identical "prestige menus".

I was also comparing the set lunch at $45 in NYC as opposed to the set lunch in London at 30 pounds.

I was under the impression that the restaurant at London Hotel in NYC was based on his restaurant at Claridges, not his flagship restaurant, but I could be wrong on that.

Although I also note that the cheese course in New York is an $8 supplement, while in London it is an 8 pound supplement -- that is nearly double.

However, we should still not forget the difference of the 8% tax (is that the current NYC figure) plus the usual tip in New York. 28% is a substantial difference in itself.

cindymal Apr 1st, 2007 02:40 PM

Thanks everyone,We are going to be there the weekend of the 14th and will be sure to report back.Happy holidays to all

Kealalani Apr 1st, 2007 02:58 PM

Oh, I adored the old Rhiga and was able to take advantage of the fantastic deals during renovation. Looking forward to your review cindymal!
And if you have a late night craving - the burger bites at Faces were fantastic barfood takeout. Have a wonderful trip!

cindymal Apr 15th, 2007 07:05 PM

Reply:
Just returned from our stay at The London.
This hotel is a wonderful place to stay.Great location,walking distance to theatre but away from Times Square,close to Ccentral Park,Time warner, fifth avenue and subways.
From the moment we arrived the service was excellent.They showed us to our room which was a Vista suite(nice size but not oversized) on th 39th floor and a view of Central Park and GWB.The room was very modern with a retro art deco decor.It had a IPod docking station,electric curtains,high speed and also the room was very quiet at night.The bathroom was designed by waterworks with a great shower and Glass tiles.There is a full service mini bar and they will also send up a mini fridge if needed.I would highly rec. this hotel as they really aims to please.A spa is opening soon as well. We generally like old world hotels but both of us really enjoyed our stay at this Trendy but sophisticated Hotel.The price of the rooms are very reasonable as well.Hope it stays that way.
Dinner at Gordon Ramsey was excellent .The food was presented well and very flavorful.The dining room is beautiful and the service is very good but not at a three star level as compared to his London restaurant.

mclaurie Apr 16th, 2007 03:13 AM

Great review cindymal. Don't know if you're aware they had some real issues on opening and I think may have dropped the prices after some bad publicity.

cindymal Apr 16th, 2007 06:33 AM

Hi mclaurie,
I was not aware of the bad reviews,I was wondering why the rates were so low.I usually check trip Advisor but I decided to go with the reviews here and use my own judgement.Glad I did.While the Hotel is not perfect,I think most people will enjoy their stay at The London .