Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The Latest Songdoc Kauai Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-latest-songdoc-kauai-trip-report-1004193/)

Songdoc Jan 27th, 2014 11:35 PM

The Latest Songdoc Kauai Trip Report

I'm dictating this into my cell phone as I walk along the path beside the Princeville golf course. Those mountains are soooo beautiful. It's a cloudy 71°, and this morning we had the first rain since I've been on the north shore during the past twelve days. Actually, it has rained at night, but that doesn't count, and it was raining in Lihue the night I arrived. Other than that, I've had mostly good weather so far.

There is much to tell, but I'll start with yesterday, which was one of my happiest Kauai days I can ever remember. Thanks to a posting on this forum, I “rented” a dog at the Humane Society. It was a long drive from Princeville to past Lihue—more than an hour—and I had my doubts until I laid eyes on my doggie for the day.

Choosing only one should be classified as a new form of torture. But I chose Sutter--the sweetest, gentlest, most loving animal I have ever encountered—of course, with the exception of DP ;-). It was love at first lick.

Sutter was outfitted in an adorable vest with the words, “Adopt me,” imprinted on it. For those fashionistas who are curious, I wore a comfy old T-shirt and shorts. Ha ha.

We headed for Maha’ulepu Beach, and It was a wee bit difficult to drive with paws on my shoulder, and the sweetest face pressed up against me. By the way, the Humane Society provided a blanket to cover the seats, as well as some treats, a chew toy, and a baggie for clean-up (for the dog — not the person!).

Sadly, the road to Maha’ulepu is in much worse condition than even the previous time I drove there – and it was pretty bad back then. The potholes make it like an obstacle course. I literally inched along, at times, so concerned for my rental car that I almost turned back. It’s heartbreaking that one of Hawaii’s true treasures has become almost inaccessible in a standard rental car. But it’s a private road, so I guess no one can force the owner to repair it. Sutter and I were both quite relieved to arrive safely.

Maha’ulepu Beach never stops astounding me with its unearthly beauty. I think the walk along those cliffs, ending at that spectacular, turquoise bay is one of the most beautiful places on the island – if not in the entire world. For those who are willing to brave the ruts, potholes, and bumps, I think it’s a “must-see.”

As we walked along the cliffs, there were quite a few whales spouting not too far away. The water was calm and lots of people were swimming. We had a glorious walk, but Sutter wasn't too sure about going in the water. He did get his paws wet in some tide pools, but wasn't interested in a swim.

I had been dealing with a tremendous amount of stress, and you will soon understand the reason. But when that sweet, precious dog nuzzled against me, every last drop of stress melted away. Now, I totally understand the concept of an emotional support animal. I think I need at least a dozen of them.

The day ended much too soon, but Sutter and I soon had some wonderful news to celebrate. Back at the shelter, we learned that a family who had taken him out for the day a few days earlier, had decided to give him a forever home, and were flying him back with them to Washington.

I don't know when I've ever felt so peaceful and centered, between that sweet dog, and the truly mystical views at that stunning beach.

I had assumed I would stop for saimin at Hamura’s on my way back, but suddenly had a yen for the Asian food at Waipouli Family restaurant. It's a little hole in the wall beside Foodland near Kapa’a. But I love their beef with broccoli. It's one of the only times I eat beef. My $12 dinner did not disappoint. And in case you’re wondering … I had already done the obligatory stops at Hamura’s and Kountry Kitchen by my second day!

to be continued …

Tomsd Jan 28th, 2014 05:45 AM

Great report and way to spend the day Songdoc. Thanks for taking us along on another beautiful day in Paradise. :)

Tomsd Jan 28th, 2014 05:46 AM

BTW - hope your stressful situation gets better?

Florida1 Jan 28th, 2014 06:54 AM

I am reading your report with interest as I think we will include Kauai on our Thanksgiving trip to Hawaii. Love the idea of "renting" a dog for a day. What good news that Sutter has a home now! I am making note of the Waipouli Family restaurant too. Look forward to your next installment!

toncasmo Jan 28th, 2014 07:55 AM

I love that he got his forever home! thank you for sharing that...I don't think I could do this, I would want to take them all home...

louistraveler5 Jan 28th, 2014 09:45 AM

Songdoc...hi!

I love the idea of "renting" a dog for a day! I miss my fur baby so much when I'm in Kauai! He is an 8 pound maltipoo named Louis (pronounced Louie; hence my forum name). I would love to do that for a day on one of our trips!

I am so...:&...of you being in Kauai at this moment!!! Today we are having an ice day in Austin, TX. Currently it is 32 degrees! I woke up to my car covered in ice and the roads were icy so everything opened late or is closed.

Enjoy Kauai and that north shore for me!! As of January 26, I have 6 months. Half a year to wait...:`(. July 26 cannot come soon enough!!

jamie99 Jan 28th, 2014 11:10 AM

Thanks for the report and good to hear Sutter got adopted.

Songdoc Jan 28th, 2014 02:09 PM

Thanks for the comments. You'll soon learn why I'd been so stressed!!!

I was told that on average, twice a week, someone who "rents" a dog, takes it back with them! Last week someone flew their dog back to Canada! If there were ANY way I could have a dog, this would have been the one. But I travel wayyyy too much. Don't hate me, but a week after I leave Kauai (which I don't even want to think about) I'll be in Ireland--and then Italy! Ireland will be mostly work--but I'll have 4 days off. Italy will be a 10-day vacation!!! (Florence & Venice)

I truly feel for those who are dealing with freezing temps. Tonight it will be 5 degrees in Nashville (he said, gloating!). Yesterday was chilly, cloudy, and rainy the entire day in Kauai. According to the weather report, it rained in "sunny" Poipu, as well.

I spent yesterday on the balcony, writing, and enjoying the misty views and the occasional whales. But I felt sad for those who are here for only a week--and had 1-1/2 days of lousy weather. Today, it's in the low 70's. Not exactly beach/swimming weather, but bright, sunny, and beautiful. I took a long walk. Ahhh ...

I'm working on the next installment.

Shar Jan 30th, 2014 12:47 PM

the road to Maha’ulepu....can you park somewhere before you get to the terrible road but before you actually start the walk/hike I too will be driving a rental car and don't want to worry about it. I have always wanted to do this walk and we plan on it in March.

Gilbert56 Jan 30th, 2014 01:53 PM

Shar,
Yes, you can park at Shipwreck Beach. Take a right just after the Hyatt, but before the golf course. Not a lot of parking spaces, so try to get there early. Don't forget to take some water along, this hike can get really hot. I love that hike. Did it this past December, and plan on doing it again in March/April. Enjoy

Shar Jan 30th, 2014 05:24 PM

Thanks Gilbert56. I have my map and now I know where to park. We also will be doing it in March....

Songdoc Jan 30th, 2014 09:28 PM

It seems much farther because the road s so bad -- but the walk from Shipwreck Beach/Grand Hyatt to Maha’ulepu Beach is 2.7 miles (according to Google maps). Hmmm ... 5-1/2 miles RT is a pretty long walk--to get to a walk--especially if you're wanting to take beach chairs.

Songdoc Jan 31st, 2014 08:39 AM

I awoke to an absolutely glorious sunrise that simply wouldn’t quit. The sky blazed from deep orange to pink and gold. Now, I'm drinking my Kauai coffee, sitting on the balcony, and feeing profoundly peaceful and fortunate. :-)

Now back to our regularly scheduled trip report ...

Yes, stress can follow you into paradise when you carry a laptop and cell phone with you – and are trying to sort out the 1,001 logistics that all go into planning A WEDDING!

Yes, dear readers, Songdoc is getting married! My partner and I have been together 20 years, and being of a certain age (57; DP is 61) I can honestly say I never dreamed I would live to see this day in my lifetime. It seems impossible—utterly surreal.

When Hawaii legalized same-sex marriage in December we had initially thought we might just “elope” with a justice of the peace to be protected by the legal benefits. But, things quickly mushroomed when my sister said she wanted to attend. I found the most wonderful woman to officiate and help with the planning. She’ll combine ancient Hawaiian traditions with some of my favorite Jewish traditions in a sunset ceremony at Hanalei Bay on August 16th.

We met for lunch at the Beachwalk Restaurant and Grill—formerly Scotty’s BBQ in Kapa’a. I already knew it was one of the best oceanfront restaurant views on the island (not that there are very many). The question was how the food would hold up. Some of the reviews were atrocious.

I’m not a “foodie,” but the seafood and cheese Panini I ordered was EXCELLENT—stuffed with big fresh shrimp and chunks of real crabmeat. It was $12.95—and served with a salad. My companion ordered a Thai (or was it Chinese?) chicken salad that she gave high marks. It looked good! The service was very good, too. I’ll definitely return.

I've been staying at an absolutely stunning condo called Orchid Point in Princeville. It's very luxurious and upscale, and has breathtaking views. Next thing I knew, in a moment of madness I rented out the entire three-unit complex (7 bedrooms) for more than a week -- to accommodate my partner’s 87 year old mother and his sister, and my sister and her husband, and two of our closest friends!

We’re also renting two-bedroom units next door at Sealodge for my nieces and nephews and their spouses. It’s going to be a week-long celebration and family reunion! I remember walking with DP on Hanalei Bay several years ago and saying that it was my fantasy to get married there--and to bring the people I love to share it with us. Sometimes dreams come true! :-)

Coordinating all those flights (from Philadelphia, TN, NY, and New Zealand!) and figuring out who goes into which condo—and with whom … has been madness; and there have been countless decisions--from leis to wedding cake--to photography—and I’m sparing you the details. But … the worst of it is over.

Looks like we’ve decided on a post-ceremony dinner at the Westin in Princeville.

So … now you know why I’d been stressed!!!

My next installment will tell you about some of the fun things I’ve done on this trip—when I was dealing with wedding stuff!

martym Jan 31st, 2014 09:29 AM

Congratulations and all my best wishes to you and your partner!! It is wonderful to know that dreams do come true.

jamie99 Jan 31st, 2014 11:08 AM

songdoc,
Congrats and may you and your partner (soon to be spouse) have many happy years together.

rncheryl Jan 31st, 2014 04:20 PM

Jason, what a heartwarming post. Wishing you only the best! As the song says, "Love, love conquers everything"

BuffaloGirl Jan 31st, 2014 04:33 PM

Congratulations, Songdoc!!!!

I finally booked my Hawaii vacation and will be re-reading all your wonderful trip reports to help me plan my Kauai vacation.

Shar Feb 4th, 2014 01:07 PM

hope everything gets done and that you have a peaceful spirit about you for upcoming event Lots of things to plan but hey you got the place to sleep and eat already taken care of! "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, when you wish upon a star your dreams come true"

rncheryl Feb 4th, 2014 01:19 PM

Update, Mr. Songdoc?

Florida1 Feb 4th, 2014 06:14 PM

Congratulations Songdoc! I wish you both much happiness in the years to come! The ceremony and celebration sound wonderful. I am making notes from your report and those of others for our Thanksgiving trip. Keep enjoying Kauai!