Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and What Is Your New Years Travel Resolution?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I just returned from watching an awesome sunset and some fabulous star twinkling over the Caribbean Sea at a new place on the southern end of the island. We were all alone on a veranda that literally felt like we were hanging over the ocean. Sigh...

So, now I'm on my second poison....Chardonnay...and wondering what all you Fodorites learned from your travels in 2005, and vow not to repeat in 2006.

As for myself, I took my first ever trip with no itinerary whatsoever. It was in Venice, Italy in October and although it was still a fabulous trip (and not our first there) I've learned that the well planned traveler in me was just not comfortable with no plan whatsoever.

So, I resolve in 2006 to make sure to have some sort of agenda in my travels, whether I stick to it or not.

What's your poison and what is your New Years Travel Resolution?

Wishing you all a fabulous New Years with loved ones; and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2006.

Statia
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 02:43 PM

My wife bought me Laphroig, a 10 yr. single malt Scotch. Rather smokey and peaty but thats how I like it. As for travel, God willing we would like to do more short trips to see friends in far flung places we haven't seem in yrs.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

jacketwatch, you and my DH have the same taste. Unfortunately, he didn't get the same gift.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Ah Statia, that sounds nice. I watched a brilliant pink and yellow Texas sunset yesterday. Remember how awesome they could be? Now if only there were an ocean....

Thought I'd wait on DH's return from the mines before I began with the poison. It'll be Chardonnay of some sort. We are in an experimental phase.

New Years travel resolution is to attain a greater French proficiency with an aim to head to the more rural sections of the country where I'll be forced to speak. I asked Santa for some CDs...just tried the first of them from the Living Language series and unless they change their methodology, my resolution will fall flat on its face!!! Argh...repetition of lists of words! Bring on the poison!! Suggestions anyone?? PS...a zillion years ago I had 3 years of high school French and another 2 semesters of college French, now mostly distant memories although I can still pronounce most all of what I see.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Statia: if he likes that style of Scotch here are some brands you could surprise him with;
Cao Ila
Talisker
Lagavuilin
Bowmore.
These all have that smoky, peaty flavor. I'll bet he'll be really impressed if you drop one of these on him. Not literally of course. Larry
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM
P_M

Hi, Malesherbes. Ya know, Texas does have an ocean, but you are absolutely correct, it hardly comapres with the Carribbean!! <sigh> I watched that incredible sunset yesterday as well. We've had some good ones lately, haven't we?

Poison: Later tonight I'm going to a friend's house and chances are we will drink wine and/or champagne.

My travel resolution: Hmmmm, I had to give this some thought because every year I want to travel my butt off as much as possible. This year I plan to do the same. Is it OK to make a resolution to continue the status quo? If so, then that's my resolution.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Malesherbes, I do fondly recall some glorious sunsets in Texas.

Larry, thanks for the tips! I'll have to look into those when I'm in the US again. His fave that we can get locally on our small island is Glenmorangie. Not that I know a thing about Scotch myself.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:42 PM

hi statia,

I just purchased some La Crema Chardonay and look forward to drinking a glass.

My resolution is to plan much further ahead so that I can get into the hotel I want and not wait until the last minute and be disappointed..

It is a quiet weekend for us, staying in with good bottle of wine, some lobster and beef tenderloin and some sparkling wine for the kiddies. I am thinking about making a chocolate creme brule.
Going to a New Years Day brunch that goes into the evening that will be a lot of fun!!
CHEERS!!!

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Statia: Glenmorangie is a good one however though its more mild than the ones I've mentioned. If he likes that then perhaps others like Scapa, Oban, and McCallan would be better. One of my favs is a 10 yr. old singel malt called Speyburn which is terrific and so far inexpensive. BYW where do you live? What little island? Sounds quaint. Cheers, Larry
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:55 PM

My poison tonight is hard cider. Had it the other day for the first time in several years. Tasty stuff! It makes a nice change from beer or wine.

This isn't a travel resolution but....If you'd told me a week ago this very moment that I'd be planning a trip to Ireland for March, I'd have told you you were crazy. But by a couple of hours later, the wheels had been set in motion!

If there's one lesson that's been beat into my head by all that's happened in 2005, it's that you just never know! Big changes, good and bad, just seem to come out of nowhere! And you have to be ready to roll with the punches! Or, I suppose in the case of the good things, ready to take advantage of the moment!

Wishing a Happy, Healthy New Year to all!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

PM, sounds like a fabulous resolution to me!

annesherrod, can DH and I come over for New Years? Sounds like you have a wonderful menu planned!

Larry, DH actually likes the stronger and more aged scotches, but we can't get them here. I'm going to have to run some of the names you've mentioned by him. He's probably familair with some of them, but not all I'm sure, and will certainly be researching and thanking you for the recommendations.

BTW, you asked about our island, - below is a link to it. It's a really small, out of the way place...and we like it that way.

http://statiatourism.com/

CAPH, you've certainly had a rough year in 2005 and I wish you nothing but happiness in 2006. Your fabulous trip to Ireland will be just the thing to start it off, my friend!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Caph, to quote PM on the other thread, 2005 was a roller coaster for many including for you and your husband and family. But we really do not know what tomorrow will bring do we? And you two are starting 2006 with a beautiful trip to Ireland planned!! What a perfect New Years gift.

Your situtation makes me feel as though my NY's Travel Resolution is that I will never assume anything. Everyday is a gift and we really do not know from one moment to the next what we will receive.

May we all receive the gifts of good health, a joyous feeling for each day that we have, company of our loved ones and trips to where our hearts are longing to visit.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Nicely said, LoveItaly!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Snocaps at the movies were my poison tonight

My travel resolution is to "go with the flow". This has been a very big transitional year for us (me). I have had a particularly difficult time adjusting to our life as "empty nesters", but I think I've finally figured out how to be at peace with it.

I have learned to appreciate and love the little moments we spend together as a family. Great trips together would just be an added bonus, but it's the spur of the moment visits and meals that are the most meaningful - and you don't have to travel to far off lands to make them special.

LoveItaly, well said. That's exactly how I feel in my heart.

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Ha, Caph! I just read what you wrote. You are so right! Seize the moment women!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Poison tonight is orange juice for me and tea with lemon for her (her 10th cup or so today.) Reason: 10 flights across 10 time zones in 12 days has given her a cosmic cold and I am trying my best not to catch it. In a hotel in LA on a 4-day gap between airports; being sick on the road sucks big time.

This spasm of travel was to squeeze a trip to Israel, along with a mandatory London-Istanbul turnaround, into the last couple weeks of the year, with a side benefit (in addition to seeing family in Israel) being elevation to Platinum Deity status in an airline FF program.

Maybe we'll think it was worth it in a few weeks, but right now it feels like I've dragged by spouse into a snakepit of FF madness, with negative consequences. Good intentions and lousy outcomes.

So my New Years Resolution is to get over it. Travel for pleasure, by whatever mode is most pleasant, do not impose agendas on one another, and stop to smell some roses, rather than smelling Mentholatum later.

Maybe this should be in the FFR&R thread instead.

Happy New Year to all and remember what's most important in life.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Poison it aint: Trader Joe's Bedtime Tea with a little honey and half and half. Yummy.

Resolution: I guess my travel resolution ties right in with my other resolution. I want to exercise more and eat better. I plan to lose a little weight, and that will make traveling lighter a twofold proposition.

My Christmas gift was a fabulous 5 pound rolling carry on. This is a little smaller than what I usually carry (an 8.5 pounder) which means the clothes will have to be a little smaller. Which means that I'll have to be a little smaller. ;-)
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:46 PM

We all seem to be very reflective tonight, don't we? Some real words of wisdom written. Well said, LoveItaly and seetheworld! A good lesson from you, Gardyloo! And I like your reasoning, tuscanlifeedit! I'll add that to my list of reasons to try to shape up a bit before our trip!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Bonsoir Statia and friends~
Our poison tonight was an O'Reilly Pinot Noir at an excellent Italian restaurant that will close its doors tomorrow...sad because the food was so good and the dessert was amazing.
My New Years Resolution right now is to quit eating out every night LOL and to travel so I can eat out every night
sounds just fine to me, tomorrow after my lovely Pinot Noir haze wears off, maybe I will think of something more profound lol.
Happy New Year, Fodorville
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM

Want to wish everyone a happy, peaceful New Year...

Just sipping Jacob's Creek Siraz that some friends brought over for dinner...

LovesItaly...best wishes...it was fun meeting you (sorry the pictures DH took didn't turn out, but it was dark!)

Garydyloo, hope your wife is feeling better, but can't wait to hear about your trip to Israel etc. Maybe we could do a Seattle Fodors gettogether sometime?

Last year was such a blessing, travel-wise for me...spent my birthday and Mother's day visiting my "Italian" daughter who's now back (though not entirely) from 6 mo. in Italy. Trips like that I'd love to repeat, and part of the reason it was so special (besides the obvious) was because of all the people who have offered so much wonderful advise here on Fodors!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -