The Hunt for Good Food Within Driving Distance from Massanutten

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be at Massanutten for a week end of March/early April. We do like to dine at the Palladio (Barboursville Winery) whenever we've made this trip, but not this time. DH would especially like to find a place that serves a good lamb dish. Looking for nice but not ultra formal - we would likely be business/resort casual. This could be in Harrisonburg, Charlottesville (we'll be there one day), or somewhere along 29.... within an hour or so drive back to Massanutten, hopefully.

Any recommendations?
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 05:18 AM

Hi sludick,
The lamb dish trips me up a bit but I will try to make a few suggestions.

Zynodoa in Staunton, VA does Farm-to-Table and does it very well. It's possible they'll have something like lamb on their seasonal menu. We really love the restaurant. The people who own that opened a seafood restaurant two block away called Blu Point Seafood--I can't vouch for it since I don't like seafood, though.

In Harrisonburg, the Joshua Wilton house is the go-to fine dining restaurant. The restaurant scene in H-burg has grown a lot so there are plenty of other choices, too. I'm not familiar enough to guess who might serve lamb, though.

And in Charlottesville there are just loads and loads of restaurant choices. I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has a rec for a place with a good lamb dish. I'd say the most frequently recommended fine dining/ farm-to-table places are: Hamilton's, Fleurie (French food and likely to have lamb), and I know for sure The Ivy Inn has lamb dishes.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, schlegal1, much appreciated. Lamb isn't a requirement, just a "would like." These all sound good, and we'll almost certainly try at least one or two of them.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll enthusiastically second the recommendation of Zynodoa.

I'll add The Shack, also in Staunton, to the mix. Its name and setting belie the sophistication of the food. It's supposed to be ironic.

Hard not to mention that you are about an hour away from the Inn at Little Washington, a 3 star Michelin restaurant. It's a step above biz/resort casual for dress (but not that much and it's not stuffy -- a sport jacket for men is common). It remains, after all these years, an amazing dining experience.