Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The Greyline neighborhood hop on and hop off tours.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to NYC in July and have been reading on this forum about the Greyline neighborhood hop on and off tours.I went to their website but, I don't quite understand how they operate. It states it starts at 8:30 to 5:00 but, it's a three hour tour. Do they leave their station different times during the day or something? If you hop off at a downtown area ie: Soho , do you jump back on another bus to go to another area when you finish exploring that section? I would appreciate more details about this tour. Thanks so much!
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Though many may come along after me and eschew the hop on/hop off buses, on a beautiful day, there is no better way to get an overview of NYC, enjoy the neighorhoods, and appreciate the magnificent buildings (you can lean back against your seat and see the tops).

The Downtown Loop takes about three hours total, if you don't get off.

The buses run continuously in a one-way loop (so, you'd want to plan getting off in order of stops, as they are not a good way to get from one place to another otherwise).

Last time, we got off at stop #10 Union Square, wandered all about the Village and SoHo (where we had a magnificent brunch at Bistro Les Amis on the corner of Thompson & Spring, but there are any number of appealing places), then wandered east on Spring to Broadway where stop #12 is just around the corner to the right. A bus came right along!

If you plan to wander about and get back on the bus at another stop, it's a really good idea to have a detailed street map along with you. The stops are clearly indicated on the Gray Line Map, but this map includes only a few streets, many of which are not labeled.

You can pick up the Gray Line brochure, which is far more comprehensive than the website, in the lobby of your hotel when you check in. Or, since you've plenty of time, have them send you one in the mail.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou so much for your information. You gave me good advice.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:10 PM

I have done this on/off Greyline tour two times. It is well worth the money but make sure you also get the night tour included also. It is wonderful. Beautiful way to see NYC from on top of a bus. It however is not a on/off tour it is about 2 hours, i think, and does not stop to let you off! It is a perfect way to learn about NYC getting on and off some tour guides are much more exciting then others , so if one is boring get off and get on another. I highly reccommend it. enjoy
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:00 PM

Here's another endorsement of the Gray Line tours, all 3 of them: the night tour and the two hop-on-hop-off (uptown and downtown). During busy times in the summer, there are buses starting out every 10 or 15 minutes. So you just hop off when you see an intersting place, and a few minutes later, another bus will come along to pick you up again.

As you probably know, these are the open-top double-decker buses, and I'll have to agree they're a fine way to get acquainted with the overall scope of the city. Riding on top is about ten times as much fun as riding below -- and because of that, very often a bus will come along that's full on top but has plenty of seats below. So here's a tip: Go ahead and get on that bus, taking a seat near the stairway, because at the next stop, somebody's sure to get off, freeing-up a topside seat for you.

Another tip: Don't believe everything you hear from the tour guides on the buses. They offer contradictory information and some that's downright incorrect (e.g., Barnard is coed!). And the quality of their tours varies greatly in charm, humor, etc., so if you don't like your tour guide, just hop off . . .
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Gray Line has recently added another loop - Brooklyn - which includes stops at the Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Promenade, and on either side of the Brooklyn Bridge (the bus uses the Manhattan Bridge, for the views of the other probably) handy for those planning to "walk the Brooklyn Bridge". This route has part of the same route as the Downtown Loop and the same stops at City Hall Park, South Street Seaport and Battery Park on Lower Manhattan.
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

The tours all sound great! I do plan to walk the Brooklyn Bridge so, that one that goes to Brooklyn will also do downtown?
Here's another question. It says it starts at 8:30 in the morning. Do you have to be there at 8:30 to begin your tour or are there other buses that leave at different times in the morning to do the Downtown or Brooklyn tour? Do they leave the station at different times so that we don't have to be there that early? Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:17 AM

No you don't have to start at eight, just get your tickets anytime and go on any of the stops and within 15 minutes you will be able to get on a bus. There is a bunch of those buses. Never hestiate to ask the tour guides questions before you get off, everyone is helpful and they are used to it. have fun!
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Trisha: I'll check my brochure when I get home from work re: Brooklyn Route and let you know.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:37 AM

What I did not understand before we went to NYC was that you can hop on a bus to get to the station where you buy your tickets, then you get in a line to get on the tour bus.I just mention this as it does make a difference in the time you get started for your days activities. I had wished we would have gotten a little something to munch on before we got in line. A map would be good to have since the sound systems are difficult at times. We signed up for the night tour the first night (mistake). We were so tired from the flight etc, we slept through the departure time. We did enjoy the experience though.
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:37 PM

You no longer have to get off and pay for your vouchers, they accept credit card payment at whatever stop you first board (this used to be one of my pet peeves as well), or you can purchase passes with the concierge of your hotel.

There are three Brooklyn Loop stops in Manhattan: Battery Park, South Street Seaport, and at Park Row/City Hall Park.

If you purchase only the Brooklyn Loop pass ($35, valid 24 hours), you'd have to bus or subway to/then from one of those stops.

Note, however, that the All Loops passes (Downtown, Uptown, Brooklyn and Night tour) are $49 and valid for 2 consecutive days.

Note also that the "main office" is now located at 777 8th Ave (47th/48th), a convenient Mid-Town location (previously Port Authority), with a Starbucks right next door (though the line is the usual Starbucks slow) where you can grab "provisions" before heading out.
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help on this!
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:02 AM
GoTravel

You will hear a lot of incorrect information but it is a fun way to see the city. You feel invisible up there.