The Drake in Chicago

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Laurie

The Drake in Chicago

Curious about what people think about the Drake. I stayed there once for a meeting and wasn't very impressed. However, we have family visiting and that is where they would like to stay. We got a rate of $169 so I don't think that is too bad but I am still not too thrilled about staying there. We can get a rate of $119 at the Knickerbocker which was just remodeled. They want an older high rise hotel.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Ang

Well the Drake used to be the crown jewel of Chicago . . . It's just a little older and there have been some nicer hotels built. It's still nice but ht efurnishings may be a bit tired. To me the best thing about the Darke is the LOCATION right at the top of the mag mile and the views from the higher floors are incredible. $169 is a great rate. Wish I knew more about the Knickerbocker.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Elfie

I loved the Drake when I stayed there, must have been 10+ years ago actually. So maybe it's not as good as it was then, but I thought it was fantastic. Room was lovely, had a great lake view, and the high tea in the afternoon was wonderful. It was a fab hotel, it'd be a shame if it hasn't maintained its standards. If I go to Chi again though, that would be my first choice.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:53 AM
hilton

If they want an older high-rise, other options are Whitehall and Tremont (nicer hotels). Drake is tired, but not terrible. It is a Hilton so at least you can get some points & airline miles.

If you could convince them to stay somewhere better, it is nice to go for a drink in the lobby bar after dinner.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Jan

Elfie it's not so much that the Drake has aged poorly (though it gets less capital infusion than a high priority resort property from the corporate powers that be) but that many newer jewels have been built nearby.
The Four Seasons, the Peninsula, Ritz, Park Hyatt, etc.
It's like a classic car.
Still fine for what it was built to do, but no longer cutting edge.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Laurie

Thanks everyone! I think it will be fine. I do agree that it is a great location. Now we have to decide somewhere special to take them for dinner!!