Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The Crystal Cathedral (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-crystal-cathedral-274342/)

lillian Nov 19th, 2002 07:33 AM

The Crystal Cathedral

I am taking my mom and grandma to the crystal cathedral next year. I would like to stay in this area for convenience for them. I am considering the Residence Inn or the DoubleTree suites. Is this safe for mom and granny?

Michele Nov 19th, 2002 07:53 AM

Both are completely safe, though the area around the Residence Inn is a bit run down. The hotel property is fine, however.<BR><BR>The Doubletree is closer to restaurants and shops, but the Residence Inn is not that far away. I would suggest whichever suits your wallet, go for.

joe Nov 19th, 2002 09:14 AM

I live in the area and the neighborhoods are very safe. <BR>I have stayed at the Doubletree and it is a nice high rise (14 stories?) with a smallish pool and a very large lobby.Visiting baseball teams often stay there, it is very close to Angel Stadium.<BR>You could walk to the Cathedral in about ten minutes.The hotel is located on the edge of a large shopping and entertainment complex called the &quot;Block&quot;,with lots of dining possibilities.<BR>And sorry to say, Orange County is short on African-Americans, we could use some more.

lillian Nov 19th, 2002 09:20 AM

Thank you Joe for your response. I in no way was trying to get a minority poll. I was concerned about nightclubs, taverns and the like in the area. The last time I booked a hotel on line there was a strip bar across the street! Granny almost had a heart attack! How far is the Res Inn from the DoubleTree. As I think I am more inclined to stay at Res Inn because of the amenities they offer. Thanks again!

Michele Nov 19th, 2002 11:24 AM

Lillian,<BR>The Residence Inn is not far from the Doubletree, but I wouldn't walk there. It's not that it isn't safe, it's just not very pedistrian-friendly. Plus, you don't state the age of your mother or grandmother, but the walk might be too much for an elderly person.<BR><BR>Joe is correct. I think you and your family would enjoy the Block. Lots of shops and a good selection of restaurants. It can be a very enjoyable place to walk around. Just a word: the Block does attract teens, so expect more than what you might normally see. However, the ones I've seen were not out to cause trouble, and were polite.<BR><BR>And, yes, Orange County is short on African Americans. I also agree with Joe - we need more diversity!

Denise Nov 21st, 2002 01:15 PM

Every black friend I have (I am white) laughs hysterically at the term African-American. It's another example of political correctness run amok. I don't run around calling myself Danish-German American because my ancestors back a century were born in those countries! Geez, people, let's get back to reality!

xxx Nov 21st, 2002 02:28 PM

OC is diverse enough. No need to import in any minorites. <BR><BR>The Crystal Cathedral is a lovely venue. Are you attending the Easter pagent while in town? Well worth a visit.

Michele Nov 21st, 2002 03:02 PM

Denise,<BR>Fodors was nice enough to delete the racist post that originally appeared on this thread. The originator of this thread referred to herself as African-American. I was using the term she used to describe herself.<BR><BR>I suggest you keep up with the program. Sheesh!

Ed Nov 21st, 2002 10:45 PM

Note to Joe and Michelle: It's liberals like YOU who will eventually DESTROY Orange County!!

lillian Nov 22nd, 2002 03:55 AM

Michell,<BR><BR>I don' think stating that I am African American is a racist post. Merely a fact! Or is it?