Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The Country Cousins go to Chicago- Memorial Day 2013 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-country-cousins-go-to-chicago-memorial-day-2013-a-979716/)

schlegal1 May 30th, 2013 05:39 AM

The Country Cousins go to Chicago- Memorial Day 2013

We just had a wonderful long weekend in Chicago. We come from rural Virginia and always love an opportunity to enjoy a big city.

My mom went to Chicago last year and raved about it. Now we saw what all the fuss was about--Chicagoans are so nice! And the city is so beautiful! We loved it.

<b>Hotel</b>
<i>Sofitel Chicago Water Tower</i> - This was a convenient location ("River North" on Priceline, which is where we booked). It was a twenty minute walk to the Art Institute and the Loop, close to a bus stop to get to Navy Pier, and close to the "L" (Chicago stop on the red line) to get to and from the airport and Museum Campus. Also very close to the "Gold Coast" for plenty of good food and then nice walks around historic homes.

The hotel is also lovely. Our travel style is usually to stay in a boutique hotel when we want to stay somewhere nice and to just go budget when we stay in a chain so this was outside our "usual" hotel. It was a nice change! The staff was welcoming, the hotel was pretty and our room was nice. It was very quiet despite being at 100% capacity.

So here's where the "country cousins" come in--we don't usually stay at a place that offers a robe and slippers. I knew not to take the robe (duh) but the slippers seemed "disposable." It bothered me to think they would throw them out, adding to landfills so I called housekeeping and made sure it was ok to take them home with me [ok, now all you business and high end travelers have had a good laugh]. I will now make good use of them until they are truly worn out.

We would certainly stay at this hotel again and I recommend it.

FACS May 30th, 2013 05:42 AM

So...what did you do during your visit??

tomfuller May 30th, 2013 05:45 AM

Glad you enjoyed the "Magnificent Mile".
Did you fly drive or take the train to Chicago?

schlegal1 May 30th, 2013 06:00 AM

<b>Activities</b>

<i>The Art Institute of Chicago</i>
What a beautiful museum. We had a wonderful time browsing through it. Of course, we started out in the American art section so we could see "American Gothic" and the Georgia O'Keefe pieces. We were disappointed that "The Nighthawks" is out on loan as my husband loves that piece and wanted to see it IRL. We didn't know anything about the paperweights or the miniature rooms before we went and thought those were really neat, too.

<i>Willis Tower Sky Deck</i>
We are fairly young but I will go out on a limb and guess that this will stand as one of the worst-organized sites we will ever see in the USA. Our experience here was decidedly "Not worth it." The lines were long (expected) but the process was horrible. long line to go up to the ticket line, Long line through security then get tickets, line to get into the mandatory movie (which must have bored all the children to tears), line to get into elevators to go up, HUGE CROWD at the top so you could barely enjoy the view. Four totally disorganized and crushing group lines to go on the skydecks. And top it all off with a LONG line to GO DOWN.

Why, oh why don't they sell timed tickets!? I realize some get the CityPass (it wasn't worth it to us so we never got it) but even with that you end up with the herd at the top and don't get to skip that much waiting.

I don't recommend this site at all. Everyone there was so cranky by the time they were at the top they were rude and fussy. I am a patient person. A line is fine, a wait is fine, but the overall effect of all the lines, all the waits, and not getting a good view here--terrible.

<i>Millennium Park and Cloud Gate (The Bean)</i>
What a great park! We loved walking through here and then seeing The Bean was great. The piece is beautiful and really draws people to it. I loved taking pics with it, loved taking pics of the skyline reflected in it, and loved just standing back and watching everyone have fun interacting with it. There were a few weddings and quinceaneras taking photos there and it was such a happy fun piece of art, beautifully executed.

<i>Chicago Greeter</i>
This is a fantastic (free) service where a Chicago volunteer can show you around the city. Loved it. Our greeter was so friendly and took us all over. We started in Millennium park, walked through the financial district, checked out some architecture, and then ended up on the North side of the river by the Water Tower and Gold Coast. This isn't a tour guide so the person probably won't have in-depth knowledge of the sites but she gave us a great overview and gave us good ideas for other things to do and places to eat. She is the one who recommended our next activity, which was fabulous....

<i>Drinks at the Bar on the 96th Floor of the John Hancock</i>
When you skip Willis Tower, here's where to go instead. We went around 7:00 p.m. and waited about 35 minutes total to get into the bar (a little wait to get on the elevator and a little wait to get into the bar). We got a view by the window and had a couple of drinks. Now, this is a tourist attraction so it isn't a relaxed bar where you are likely to while away an evening. Also drinks are pricey (but not overpriced, considering prices we saw elsewhere and that it is in a big city tourist attraction). We got to see the city start to light up as the sun set. You could also eat at the restaurant on the 95th floor (reservations required) and skip any waiting at all.

<i>Architectural Cruise, Chicago Architecture Foundation</I>
Excellent! We don't know a thing about architecture but still thought this was a great tour. The volunteer who spoke to us had depth and breadth of knowledge and talked the entire 90 minutes. He put everything in a historical context. I would recommend this tour to almost anyone (except those with kids, they'd be bored).

<i>Field Museum</i>
Museum campus is beautiful. We had a great day at the Field museum. The T-rex, Sue, is, of course, awesome, and then we just had a nice relaxing day checking out exhibits.

schlegal1 May 30th, 2013 06:05 AM

We flew to get to Chicago. Only a two hour flight! Woohoo. We're used to long hauls and stopovers when we travel so this was a great change.

More activities...

<i>The Magnificent Mile</i>
We aren't shoppers so we just strolled along and enjoyed seeing all the people out and about. We had a gorgeous (though slightly cool) day on Sunday and everyone seemed to have come out to enjoy it.

<i>Navy Pier</i>
So glad we didn't devote a lot of time to visiting here. My mom liked it a lot but then she likes to shop. The Stained Glass museum is nice. But other than that? It's like a food court in any mall in the USA to me. I would probably come here if I had kids because there are a few fun activities for them (and a Children's museum). And if the weather is nice I gather you probably get a beach-boardwalk vibe walking outside and eating funnel cake or the like. But it wasn't the type of site we enjoy. Perhaps the "Tall Ship" is a fun attraction? Don't know as we didn't take it and the day we were there it was pretty dreary out.

schlegal1 May 30th, 2013 06:06 AM

I'll be back later about food but as you can probably guess....we loved it!

wtm003 May 30th, 2013 06:18 AM

What day did you take the cruise? We did the Architectural Cruise on Friday. Really enjoyed it but it was COLD. A hat and gloves would have been nice. My kids would have liked it when they were younger, but they were transportation nerds, and were happy if they were on boat, train, subway, etc. Looking forward to your food report.

Bitter May 30th, 2013 07:03 AM

Thanks for the trip report. Looking forward to the food reports.

ElendilPickle May 30th, 2013 10:15 AM

You're off to a great start! We just got back from our Chicago etc. trip as well, but the mountains of laundry I need to tackle mean I won't be posting a report today.

Lee Ann

yestravel May 30th, 2013 10:19 AM

Enjoying your TR. Following u once again -- we'll be in Chicago in July. thanks for the price line tip.

schlegal1 May 30th, 2013 11:30 AM

We went on Sunday at 10:30, wtm--it was a little cool but not miserable and then it turned into such a nice day later.

Elen--I think I remembered that we were planning around the same time when I posted my thread about bidding on Priceline. Did you end up in a good place?

yestravel--That's too funny. I was actually pretty sorry to see that on our trip we missed a Fodor's GTG in Chicago by about a week--I think they are gathering next weekend.

<b>Food</b>

So there isn't going to be anything special here as we are not "foodies" but really just people who enjoy food. On my other thread were some nice suggestions for French food, which I, unfortunately, don't enjoy. And then we had plans to follow the recs for Italian restaurants only to find ourselves too full one night for dinner (huge lunch) and another time too full for lunch (huge breakfast). But thanks to all who offered suggestions.

<i>Giordano's</i> and <i>Lou Malnati/s</i>
Woohoo! Chicago deep dish pizza. We went to Giordano's Saturday for lunch (early since we had a time change) and that meant no wait! The pizza was delicious and filling--no dinner on Saturday night. It was the first time we ever had deep dish and we loved it! Then on Monday went to Lou Malnati's just to compare (that was our Greeter's preferred deep dish) and liked it, too, though not quite as much as Giordano's.

<i>Portillo's</i> and <i>The Cart outside The Field Museum</i>
Chicago hot Dogs! For my husband, not me but he loved them. It wouldn't have been convenient to go to The Wiener's Circle or to Superdawg (bummer) but he still liked the ones he got! He wants to make Chicago style dogs at home now and is wondering if we'll be able to find "sport peppers" at our local grocery store.

<i>The Original Pancake House</i>
This was a place someone suggested for breakfast on the other thread as it was convenient to our hotel. It is a franchise but we don't have them in Virginia so it was new to us. I was in heaven. Breakfast is my favorite meal. I had cherry crepes and they were so good. I spent forever deciding what I wanted because everything looked so enticing. No lunch after this breakfast!

<i>Thai Baisi</i>
It was literally the closest Thai place to our hotel and we went because we love Thai food and enjoy the opportunity of being in a big city where we can get it. We both had excellent meals even if the ambiance isn't special (it is in a mall). There's probably excellent Thai in every neighborhood.

<i>India House</i>
Lunch buffet! Usually buffets are not a good choice for me (I don't eat a lot and am a vegetarian) but I made an exception for Indian food because there's always plenty of veg fare and I like to try a lot of different dishes. And also I would like to eat Naan until I died. Everything was hot and delicious and they had more choices than other Indian buffets I have been to--including some kind of frozen dessert I have never tried before. Loved it.

<i>Ghirardelli</i>
So it isn't special to Chicago or anything but it is fun to order a hot fudge Sunday and eat it while you walk around the area of the Water Tower. Hooray for ice cream!

<i>Tea at Adagio and Argo</i>
I'm a tea snob and loved being able to stop for a really good properly brewed cup of tea. Soooo happy. The Argo was right next to the hotel. The Agagio (which is more of a tea shop but they'll fix you a cup, too) was just down State St from our hotel.

<i>Redhead Piano Bar</i>
Actually this was an activity. But since we got drinks I will count it as food (ok, I forgot it earlier). Good drinks. Fun bar. Totally touristy and totally an older crowd. But we are old souls and we had a fantastic time. There's a dress code (we knew that) and you wouldn't go here if you are under 30 unless you really love a wide range of music and know it.

sf7307 May 30th, 2013 11:52 AM

<<<So there isn't going to be anything special here as we are not "foodies" but really just people who enjoy food. On my other thread were some nice suggestions for French food, which I, unfortunately, don't enjoy. And then we had plans to follow the recs for Italian restaurants only to find ourselves too full one night for dinner (huge lunch) and another time too full for lunch (huge breakfast). But thanks to all who offered suggestions.>>>

LOL - are you sure you're not actually me?

traveler2005 May 30th, 2013 06:47 PM

bookmarking

Cali May 30th, 2013 07:40 PM

Really enjoyed your report Schlegal1. Glad you had such a fun get away. We always enjoy going to Chicago also.

starrs May 31st, 2013 04:05 AM

Nice trip report. Loved the details and the tips.

laurie_ann May 31st, 2013 10:08 AM

Glad you enjoyed Chicago. If you are looking to have a "taste" later or just need those sport peppers have a look at this website.

http://www.tastesofchicago.com

I have sent many of friends and family a Lou M pizza that way. Either a frozen pizza or a gift certificate.

And they have the Vienna beef hotdogs and fixings too.

Customer service has aways been great.

schlegal1 May 31st, 2013 12:32 PM

thanks, laurie_ann--very helpful as I checked the grocery store yesterday and there were no sport peppers.

laurie_ann May 31st, 2013 12:36 PM

Just remember NO ketchup. (At the hotdog place in Midway airport in Chicago there is a sign to the effect that it is against city ordinance, not exactly true but if you are true Chicagoan you might think it should be.)

kureiff May 31st, 2013 12:45 PM

Great report!