Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   "The Calming New Scent of Westin," please say it isn't so! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-calming-new-scent-of-westin-please-say-it-isnt-so-601191/)

Betsy Mar 21st, 2006 01:25 PM

"The Calming New Scent of Westin," please say it isn't so!

One of those perfumed ads appeared in a magazine that arrived today. The glossy ad reeked of a scent (white tea) that's infusing my kitchen hours later. Is this a new "perk" that we will experience at Westin Hotels? I'm not at all aroma-phobic, but I'd run the other way if my room were scented with this supposedly calming scent. Please tell me that there'll be an opt-in provision!

seetheworld Mar 21st, 2006 01:31 PM

Maybe they are referring to the fact that most of their hotels will be smoke free. I hope that's it. The thought of an imposed scent is not appealing to me!

BeachBoi Mar 21st, 2006 01:31 PM

Betsy...Thank you for opening yours!! Something told me I didnt want to peel that little bit back.....

Dick Mar 21st, 2006 01:33 PM

I hate the scented ads in magazines, too.

If you ask, most magazines will make sure your subscription does not include scented inserts.

Betsy Mar 21st, 2006 03:32 PM

I checked the Westin website to see if there was any info about scenting their hotel rooms, but didn't see anything about it. I did see that as of Feb 2006, all their N. American properties are smoke-free, which as Martha would say, is a good thing. However, I'd find being subjected to White Tea almost as noxious as cigarette smoke.

nytraveler Mar 21st, 2006 04:30 PM

They must have more sense than to perfume all their rooms.

But then - I thought they would have more sense than to use down pillows and duvets everywhere - and it's getting worse not better. Luxurious - perhaps.

But awful for anyone with feather allergies - which apparently is becoming more common.

I hate to get to a hotel and find the first thing I have to do is have them completely remake the room - esp if it's late at night. And usually the windows don;t open so it takes forever to get the feather particles out. (My admin knows never to book these for me - but when it's a group you're stuck with what whoever's admin booked.)

Presocia Mar 21st, 2006 05:02 PM

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I stayed at the new Westin in Bellevue, Washingtion, over the New Year's weekend, and never encountered this.

IamBooth Mar 21st, 2006 05:13 PM

I don't like artificial scents. Don't get me wrong, natural scents such as a garden or the seashore are fine in the natural locations. But if someone sprayed artificial scent around a room they should be hit in the legs with a stick or something.

Don't tell my wife I am saying this. She likes to burn candles with scent and spread the potpourri crap around the house. I do enough complaining about it. Maybe she is ready to hit me in the legs with a stick!

Little_Man Mar 21st, 2006 05:15 PM

Yuckarama! I hate all these perfumey smells!

Anonymous Mar 21st, 2006 05:24 PM

I agree completely: Yuckarama! Excessive perfume is on the same list as cigarette smoke, for me. You'd think the Westin would hve the sense to position themselves as the place to go to avoid noxious stuff. I'm not even allergic to down but I don't particulrly want it in my room.

Ooops, I almost forgot: I'm not entitled to give opinions on hotels anymore, since I bought my RV and I get to choose the bedding, smells, etc. all by myself now.

seetheworld Mar 21st, 2006 05:29 PM

Maybe it's a lotion, shampoo, or conditioner that is called "White Tea".

Anonymous Mar 21st, 2006 06:14 PM

Bad news: A Google search on

westin "white tea"

turned up stories about the advertising campaign that includes the magazine ad referred to in hte OP:

"Among the campaign elements will be scented strips on print executions appearing in April magazines with the signature White Tea scent that will be faintly wafting this spring in Westin properties worldwide."

joan Mar 22nd, 2006 04:51 AM

Good news!
A further google search reveals the scent will only be used in public spaces.

Here's a fascinating article on scent and branding. The Westin is mentioned about a third of the way down:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...nd-spirit.html