Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The Boulders Waldorf Resort or Four Seasons Scottsdale at Troon North?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfirend and I are considering a six day trip to the desert for a little break from the 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. routine. We want to find a place where we can lay around a pool, soak up some great desert scenery nd play three or so rounds of golf. She'll also want some spa treatments I'm sure and good food is a must.

After doing a little poking around on the web, I am focusing on The Boulders Waldorf in Carefree and the Four Seasons at Troon North in Scottsdale. The Four Seasons certainly looks great but it comes with a bigger price tag. The Boulders looks pretty nice and certainly seems like it will be easier on our wallets but I've heard that the decor, furnishings, landscaping, etc. have become a little "tired." We've stayed at Ritz Carltons and other upper end resorts and am concerned that the Boulders might be a bit of disapppointment.

Can anyone who has recently been to one or both of these resorts help out? Shoud I consider the Phoenecian, Camelback or somewhere else? New Mexico?

We're hoping to go next week so if you any advice, please write fast! Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 04:13 PM

When do you want to take this trip??

If you want luxury and a perfect retreat, try The Royal Palms. I LOVE Royal Palms Resort in Phoenix; luxury and all the bells and whistles and it is small enough to feel pampered.

The restaurant, spa and grounds are excellent.

http://www.royalpalmshotel.com

It is #1 for all hotels in Phoenix on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...x_Arizona.html

Here are some pictures from our trip:
http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/RoyalPalms

There are some wonderful places in NM too, let me know if that is of interest.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

DebitNM: Well based upon the photos I can understand why you love the RP. Unfortunately, they don't have any rooms available for our travel dates (9/10 through 9/16). I'd be interested to know what you like in NM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 05:17 PM

Deb-My co-worker is getting married at the Royal Palms in Oct and that is where she got engaged. I am excited about the wedding being there. Don't think most of the people attending the wedding will stay there as I'm sure the rate is expensive even if she got a deal. But I might splurge for one night because the rest of the time I will probably stay with my Dad who lives in Chandler. It seems like such a romantic place to get married.

Sorry can't help with The Boulders or Four Seasons as I usually stay with relatives when I am in Arizona. I know people like The Phoenician. I do see that the Four Seasons is #2 on tripadvisor for Scottsdale. I have enjoyed a couple of stays at Camelback Inn which I know is older but I like the location.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM

This might work for you:
http://www.icmontelucia.com/

A few Fodorites have given it rave reviews.

How about Tamaya in New Mexico, a really nice resort, about 30 minutes from ABQ airport, lots of golf around, close to Santa Fe and can even do Taos if you are so inclined.

http://tamaya.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM

The Ritz at Dove Mtn. North of Tucson might be a consideration.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 06:35 AM

I meant to add, since this is for next week - it is still pretty hot on PHX and Tucson, but it is starting to cool off nicely here in ABQ area.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM

The camelback Inn is great. Alot of spa treatments and the pool and pool service is great. I believe they even updated it since I've been there and added more restaurants.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Hi BillJulieEliHannah,
Where did you end up and did you enjoy it? I am looking at a similar trip for December so would love to hear your thoughts.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM

You must go! Enjoy the walking paths, enjoy the golf, enjoy the gorgeous poolside. The rooms are blissful and the beds are heaven. The evenings are gorgeous with beautiful open skies. The facilities are top notch, clean and the staff is EXCELLENT. We could go there every year and never be bored.
The Red Door Spa is Classy. The morning classes are dynamite. Good workout and great massages! Enjoy
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:33 PM

You certainly don't start in the cheap seats, eh?

Liked the Biltmore - can't comment on the others.

For New Mexico - consider Sante Fe - or even better if you want to get up into the Mountains, get thee to Taos ski resort.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:37 PM

2 year old thread, folks.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Went last year at this time and the Resort was still Classy, even though this thread is old the reviews on this resort are still get my 5*****'s.