I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Nj to Charleston SC during Christmas bestate way
- 2 meridian
- 3 Brooklyn dinner? Bronx Breakfast? And opinions on the zoo?
- 4 February trip San Fran to Yosemite...
- 5 4 days in San Diego
- 6 Asheville, SC to Knoxville, TN Transportation
- 7 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 8 Copper - How many open runs usually open in December at Copper Mountain?
- 9 Will Travel for Food - A Long Weekend in Philly to try a restaurant
- 10 glacier national park to yellowstone route
- 11 Lodging locations in Miami for an overnight visit
- 12 Restaurants - NYC Financial District
- 13 safe travel idea within US to travel alone with preteen daughter and Mom
- 14 Hard Rock Stadium - transportation to stadium or parking?
- 15 Family winter holiday
- 16 Drive Time from Philadelphia to Gettysburg?
- 17 Galveston
- 18 Where to go in Florida . . . without a car?
- 19 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 20 Ski trip in Park City, UT – where to stay
- 21 Train Journey, SFO to SEA
- 22 Padre Islands
- 23 NYC hotels...asked often but would like suggestions
- 24 Boston Must Do's with 4 year old
- 25 Bolt bus?