Reload this Page >

The Best Places To Travel To Experience Nature

Notices

Old Mar 8th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking great places to travel in the United States that are off the beaten path and very unique. I'm looking for something nature filled. I want to hike, camp, etc. Please let me know your ideas!
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 06:06 PM

For nature & uniqueness, always start with the national parks.
For off the beaten path, check out wilderness areas.

For uniqueness, you can't beat the back-country in Yellowstone. Yes, the places with paved roads are about the most beaten paths you'll find. But start backpacking (particularly off-trail, but ONLY if you're experienced in doing so!) and you'll find thermal features, literally dozens of waterfalls, and wildlife galore.

The Maze in Canyonlands NP is WAY off the beaten path, and has glorious views. But don't go there UNLESS you have experience in off-trail, desert backpacking.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 04:49 AM

The Adirondacks in New York state has more than 6 million acres to explore.

http://visitadirondacks.com/about/adirondack-park
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Yes, this depends on your experience, skills, interests, and timing.

The US is so large that nature differs significantly from one region to another. For example:

In Florida, Everglades National Park has alligators, wild panthers, four kinds of poisonous snakes, wild boar, bear, deer, and naturalized large snakes like boa constrictors and monitor lizards two meters long, in addition to spectacular birds and wild orchids.

Glacier National Park has brown bears, grizzly bears, wild sheep, wild goats, various horned animals, small creatures like marmots, and different birds. Both Parks have Eagles.

You need to focus on what kind of interests you have. You should also recognize that every year people can and do die in these places. Not more, perhaps, than die climbing in the Alps, but enough. Many of these places have no mobile phone service, no food, no or problematic water. Gasoline may be a hundred Mike's away. Temperatures in summer may vary from 35 C to 0 C, and every mountainous state in the west, the Adirondacks and New England has the potential for snow year round at altitude. And then poisonous insects and spiders . . . .

It is actually quite wonderful, but certainly you need to begin by sorting out what subset of our nature you want to see, then figure out what you are willing to do to get to it. Have fun!
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:06 PM
mms

The Brooks Range in Alaska. As remote as you can get! Gorgeous though!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 02:20 AM

I would try to hook up with an experienced group, perhaps a hiking club. Our son used to camp in AK when he lived there. Some of his friends slept in their jeeps because of bears. The first time he went to AK to visit a teen friend, I was shocked that they went backpacking alone with some other teens but kids who are raised with a lot of outdoor experience beginning at a young age are pretty savvy about what they are doing but they had learned a lot from their parents over the years.

Agree with previous posters. And don't go alone.

One of the volunteer opportunities I've been looking at is a stewardship program that publicizes volunteer needs for a variety of groups and agencies. In New England it would be http://newengland.stewardshipnetwork.org/
Perhaps choose an area of the country and look for something similar.