Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The best dessert you ever had (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-best-dessert-you-ever-had-321217/)

Jim May 27th, 2003 07:18 PM

The best dessert you ever had

What is the best dessert you've ever had and where did you eat it?
The best I've ever had was at Harry Careys resturant in Chicago.
It consisted of a bownie, with aa large scoop of vanella ice cream covered in hot fudge.

gplimpton May 27th, 2003 07:42 PM

Lemon-lime cheesecake at a family owned restaurant in Tuscany. I kid you not, I've eaten great meals on 5 continents, I've been to 49 US states and 58 of the 60 largest cities in the US, and I've never tasted anything so sublime.
I have no idea what was in it.
I was there with a large group of friends and the opinion was unanimous.

In the US I'd say the melted chocolate/caramel torte at Aureole, and several of the pastries at Gramercy Tavern in NYC.

rjw_lgb_ca May 27th, 2003 07:43 PM

Pastel rufina at Border Grill, Santa Monica CA. Or the Bananas Foster at Shenandoah Café, Long Beach CA. Or just about anything at Christy's Ristorante, Long Beach CA (she's Sonny Bono's daughter, so she knows her way around a restaurant).

sgorces May 27th, 2003 07:47 PM

Warm Nectarine Crepes with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream at Palace Kitchen in Seattle.

lillehavfrue May 27th, 2003 11:34 PM

Passionfruit soup at Feinschmecker in Oslo. The restaurant has one star in the Michelin guide.

caribtraveler May 28th, 2003 03:08 AM

Some kind of yogurt (with a touch of brandy? I think and sugar) topped with cubes of mango at a game lodge in South Africa.
Different but oh so tasty. Really.

DeborahB May 28th, 2003 04:56 AM

Over the weekend I had 2 very good ones - a chocolate chip cookie in its own pan topped with ice cream, whipped cream and hot fudge. Got this at Bubba Gumps in Charleston. Was suprisingly good by the way.

The other was the peanut butter pie at Denny's! Yummy!!!!

Diana May 28th, 2003 04:59 AM

Stoilichnaya and Kahlua cheesecake with caramel drizzle at the Four Seasons Nevis.

Kate2 May 28th, 2003 05:22 AM

Hot Fudge Sunday-Serendipity NYC
Mousse au chocolate-StBenoit Paris Fr

luv2go May 28th, 2003 05:32 AM

Hula Pie at Dukes Canoe Club in Waikiki!!. The atmosphere with the fudge and macadamia ice cream--yum yum!!!!!

blep May 28th, 2003 06:11 AM

The best cheesecakes; mango, butterfinger, and chocolate w/vodka sauce, at Hola Asia in Puerto Morelos, Mexico.

Becca May 28th, 2003 06:12 AM

Magnolia's restaurant in Charleston, SC. It was benne wafers topped with vanilla ice cream (there may have been some type of chocolate cake in there as well - it's been awhile) and strawberry sauce. It was so good that I almost cried. Seriously.

BigRed May 28th, 2003 06:27 AM

Frozen-Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie
Duval Street
Key West, Florida

ncgrrl May 28th, 2003 06:27 AM

So many choices.

The first memorable dessert was a Napoleon from the Watergate bakery served at the National Gallery of Art in DC. I was 11-12 at the time. Never had one before and they are hard to find where I live -- and that might be a good thing.

The Key lime milkshake from the 'Robert is here fruitstand' in ??? Florida (between the Everglades and the drive to the Keys) was a great introduction to 'real' key lime goodies.

At a little cafe (though that makes it sound better than it wsa) in St. James Park in London that had excellent pasteries made on site. The place didn't look more than a service place, but it was excellent.

And there was a time on a family vacation in Colorado where we stopped to have cocoa and sticky buns. Not the 'top' dessert of all time, but the view was wonderful and it was the first family vacation in a long time. I was still in college and my brother's first vacation after starting a 'real' job. So it was nice having everyone together.

Gardyloo May 28th, 2003 06:37 AM

Again, so many....

A lemon tart in a gorgeous hotel dining room in Sarlat, France.

Home-made peach ice cream in my grandmother's back yard.

Hot fudge sundae cake (pound cake topped by - you guessed it) at the gone-but-not-forgotten Tiny Naylor's cafe in LA CA.

Fresh picked blueberries, consumed while camping on the tundra in central Alaska. The skeeters were gone and the bears were busy. We used up the rest in the pancakes the next morning.

mm May 28th, 2003 06:38 AM

Crepes filled with banana and vanilla ice cream, topped with Tia Maria and chocolate sauce.

Sweet Bite Cafe in Negril, Jamaica.

Fantastic and simple.

EnglishOne May 28th, 2003 06:46 AM

Bread and butter pudding in Red Fish Grill, New Orleans.

Paradise Pie in Chilli's, Maidstone, England.

My mum's special fruit cake! :)

sakath May 28th, 2003 07:25 AM

bread pudding souffle at Commanders Palace, NOLA!

Ani May 28th, 2003 07:28 AM

From a Bakery in the the small town of Falkland, Scotland...wish I knew the name of it...a brownie like bar-only no chocolate-with a crumbly base and a thick layer of caramel on top. My husband and I called it "magical". OK, might have helped that we were eating it in front of Falkland Palace. Hey EnglishOne-can you tell me what this is? It was very popular in bakeries in Scotland. Oh ya-and "flapjacks" in England and Wales-deee-LISH!

rjw_lgb_ca May 28th, 2003 07:36 AM

Ani: I'm inclined to think it's Sticky Toffee Pudding, but I may have the layers completely wrong.

I forgot to mention that the flans at Border Grill are also great. Oh yeah, I also had a killer crème brûlée at Bono's (yes, Christy's Long Beach homage to her dad Sonny's Palm Springs resto). Gotta love those custards!!