I need to choose maui or big island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to hawai, but I have to choose from visiting maui or the big island. What do you recomend and wich are each islands top places to visit?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM

I went several years ago, but the big island was the wonderful! Kona is a great little town, and I strongly recommend a helicopter tour that takes you over the volcano - AMAZING! We also rented a car and drove the loop around the entire island. It was stunning, and not too touristy. Pure Hawaii. Enjoy!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Gracias!!! We are planing to take the helicopter tour!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM

For me the choice depends on whether or not you want to take the chance to see an active volcano, which may only possibly be seen on the Big Island of Hawaii, otherwise I'd go to Maui, which has the most beaches and best whalewatching in winter months.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Big Island, hands down... Tour around the whole island if you can, lots of different types of beaches and climates, from the volcano to sandy beaches to lush forests. Kona is great... there are some awesome B&Bs there. A highlight for us was powerful water gushing up into the air at the southern most point in the US. Be careful not to get too close!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM

my answer would depend on how much time you've planned and how much you want to see versus how much you just want to lay out: if you have 7 days or less - maui; if you have 10 days or more - big island

it's hard to do the big island justice with less than 10 days...it's a BIG island, with LONG distances between top beaches, sights and attractions...don't kill a lot of time driving (albeit gorgeous in many spots) instead of soaking in the aloha setting.

maui is much more manageable for exploring with a lot more wonderful sandy beaches to relax at as JohnD mentioned

but the BI has VNP, lava flow and the best hawaiian snorkeling spots
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM

We just came back from both Maui and the Big Island in March. Both islands offer great things - Maui has a lot of beaches plus the Road to Hana...which is awesome. If you do this, make sure you rent a great SUV. We stayed in Kona (on big island) and it's less touristy. But the helicopter tour is also fun. Both islands offer great golfing if you're into that.