The Arrondisements of...San Francisco???

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Arrondisements of...San Francisco???

Hello again.

My husband and I will be visitng SF for the umteenth time, but taking our 19 year old neice for her first visit (a Christmas gift).

We have our days planned with typical tourist stuff, and visiting with friends and relatives.

What I need to know is...what areas are fun to explore at night? We will be doing North Beach one night after 4:00 matinee tix to Beach Blanket Babylon. Not at all interested in the Metreon (did that with my 12 year old).

What other neighborhoods can you suggest to visit at night that would be of interest to a 19 year old girl? What is the Mission Dist.? What's in the Haight? Noe Valley? You get the idea!

Appreciate your help!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:20 PM

Iregeo: The Mission District is fascinating, but you don't want to be there at night. If you have time during the day, even through dinner, you'll be fine. You will swear you are in a Mexican Border Town. There are good restaurants, shops, music, and site seeing. It is really one of my favorite areas (I am a native San Franciscan). We were down there on Tuesday last. We went to the New Mission Market and perused the meat market and poultry/fish market. You can't believe how beautifully they are maintained. There is a Taco restaurant at the front on Mission Street and the tacos really are fantstic. 24th Street is equally interesting. The same kind of ambience. Don't go farther than 20th Street on Mission or past Harrison on 24th Street.
The Haight is not a particularly good evening venture at night either. Better during the day through dinner.
Noe Valley is fine at night, but it is more ineteresting during the day.
Pier 39 might be a good evening venue. Touristy, but lots of shops, views and the seals.
China Town is fine at night. Actually, it is pretty at night. The touristy spots don't look so glitzy.
Union Street would be fine for a night time wander. Lots of shops, restaurants, cafes, etc.
If it is a decent night, you might want to consider taking the ferry to Sausalito or Larkspur. There are shops and restaurants at either location. The views on the bay on a good night are pretty awesome. Check for return trips before you leave the ferries.
Chestnut Street or Clement are interesting at night. Clement is very Asian. Again, lots of shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. at both locations.
A night time cable car ride ride is fun and the views are good. Try the California Street line to the end of the line. Ghiradelli Square and the immediate area down to Fisherman's Wharf are good night time areas.
There are a number of theatres. Why not take in a show to your liking. Go to sfgate.com to see what plays and musicals are playing at the time. Hope this gives you enough to choose from. If you have questions, just ask. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM

Arrondissements.

My favorites are the 1er and 4e.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Probably the most active areas in the evening are North Beach and the Union/Fillmore/Chestnut St areas (walk from Gough & Union west on Union, north on Fillmore, then west on Chestnut). Also Fillmore between Jackson & Calif St is alive in the evenings. 19 YOlds will find both areas interesting. Lots of restaurants, shops, people watching, etc. Chestnut & North Beach are probably have the highest concentration of 20 & 30 year olds.

Not sure I entirely agree with joegri about the Mission. We were there last night for dinner and about 2 weeks ago also. The area west of Mission St -bounded by Valencia & Guerrero, and 16th to 20th streets are just fine. Kind of a "gourmet ghetto". Lots of 20 year olds wandering around going from place to place, etc. Perfectly safe.

Noe valley is perhaps the most active area during the day (go for a visit), but somewhat dead during the evening, although there are lots of interesting restaurants (we dined there last week). I think a 19 YO would love the Noe Valley & the Haight during the day. Lots of very interesting & unique shops. We lived in the Noe Valley for a number of years.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Another question -- what is the name of the area with the beautiful Victorian homes which are frequently photographed?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

I found my answer -- Steiner St. near Alamo Square.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:37 AM

There are over 16,000 Victorians in San Francisco. The famous "Postcard Row" is indeed on Steiner, but the best view is from the Alamo Square park hear where Pierce hits it from the southern end. My wife conducts free walking tours of this area - she just gave one yesterday. You can often (but not always) visit one of the most outrageous Victorian interiors on this tour. These walks are sponsored by the SF public library. See
www.sfcityguides.org
for descriptions & schedules.

You can see more Victorians in this area by following this route:
Walk north on Steiner (next to the park) and 2 blocks past the park, turn left on to Golden Gate, and there is the huge Chateau Tivoli – painted 23 different colors. Immediately to the right of it is the Seattle Block – more exquisite Victorians. Turn around, retrace your steps, and go back (south) on Steiner and on the first street turn right on to McAllister. In the second block from 1443 to 1499 McAllister is the longest contiguous row of Victorian Stick Style houses in the City. At the next intersection (Scott) turn left & go south on Scott. Looming on the corner of Scott & Fulton is one of the most photographed Victorians in the City - the Westerfield Mansion. Unfortunately, they have not pruned the tree in front of the house for quite some time, and it somewhat blocks the view. Continue south on Scott (more Victorians across from the park).

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stu! Cutting and pasting your suggested route! Will also check out the public library walks you recommended.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:58 AM

OK with a 19 year old here are some suggestions:

Check out the Mission especially on Valenica Street around 20th. You will want to eat at places like Luna Park.
This is so relatively benign as to be written up in Gourmet a ways back. Check out Tartine Bakery near Guerrero and 20th as well as Delfina(good Italian food...eadgey waitstaff or wannabe edgey..I'm too old to know the difference).

If you want to show her the Mission at lunch check out Chava's around 18th. It;s wher the working SFers go for lunch.The chicken soup is very good.

I agree with North Beach although I would take her to Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store for lunch and/or Cafe Trieste on Grant for coffee.

The Ferry Plaza bldg is a must. She can see the beauty of SF looking at the water and sampling foods like Slanted Door,Taylors Refresher and Mistral.

You might also consider Belden Alley and Plouf. This is a bit like some alleys in Paris and there will many folks her age. Their specialty is mussels et frites.

Take her to MOMA and eat in its cafe or take in lunch at Lulu.

Turn her on to Dim Sum at Yank Sing in Rincon Annex.
If she needs a vegetarian fix, take her to lunch at Greens at Fort Mason.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM

I forgot to mention the Italian place A16 in the Chestnut Street area.

Not much is going on in Noe Valley at night. There are a few very good places to eat Incanto is Italian and there is Pomelo which is a "world grains" small plates.

I'd stay away from most of South of Market at night.

You might also want to check out Potrero Hill for dining at night. I'd recommend Chez Papa (make reservations).
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. Here's our intinerary so foar:

Staying at the Galleria Park ($75/nt./room on Priceline)

Sat. - Cable car up Powell towards Fisherman's wharf - take in crooked part of Lombard - chowder in bread bowl lunch from vendor - see sea lions - irish coffees at Buena Vista (for grown ups!) - hot fudge sundaes at Giradelli's (for everyone!) - rest at hotel - drinks at Tonga Room - dinner at one of the cheap eats recommended. Haven't chosen area yet.

Sun. - Brunch with friends on the beach near their home (not sure which beach) - 4pm matinee of Beach Blanket Babylon - dinner and evening in North Beach.

Mon. - Walk through Chinatown - Coit Tower - Ferry Building (with lunch reservations at Slanted Door). Haven't figure out where the evening will be.

Tues. - Start at Golden Gate Park - visit Haight Asbury - Alamo Square and environs - make our way back to Oakland to fly home.

So, what do you think?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Irego,

Love the way you phrased the question!

North Beach is fine at night, lots of cafes to stop in after dinner or a show. The only other truly 24-hour neighborhood in S.F. is the Castro - which I think of as being either the Marais or the Bastille arrondisement of San Francisco. The stretch of Market Street going from Castro to Church has loads of restaurants, cool stores, and some cafes which stay open late. Your niece might enjoy Cafe Flore (good funky people-watching place) and Sweet Inspirations (popular for its killer desserts, esp. the layer cake slices).

I had breakfast yesterday at a place a 19-year-old would definitely enjoy. Tartine - on 18th and Guerrero - is a bakery/cafe which has been a smash hit since its doors opened. The line to get in (not just for a table but simply to purchase anything) is usually out the door and down the block. It's in a hip, vibrant part of the Mission close to Dolores Park and Mission Dolores. The clientele was the typical San Francisco mixture, but leaned heavily towards an arty, edgy 20-something crowd. I think you might like a little side trip off the tourist track to a place like this.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

dovima, Tartine is on my "must eat" list! I was hoping to get there for a light dinner one evening, cuz the days are already pretty full. I know it stays open till 8pm. Is it safe there at that hour?

For our evenings, I plan to choose some of the neighborhoods/restaurants you all have recommended and eat and explore.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM

My favorite SF arrondisements are definitely on the Left Bank!

Coming to SF and not seeing the Pacific Ocean? Why not just drive along the beach and stop off at Cliff House for a coffee (either for the grown-ups or for the younger set)? Coming to SF and not seeing the Golden Gate Bridge? Anyhoos, I didn't see any sightseeing of wonderful scenery built into your itinerary, hope you will have a few of those added in too.

Nice night spot in Haight-Ashbury is Cha Cha Cha for tapas. Sit at the bar in the back. Great sangria!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:42 AM

I would say Tartine's corner in the Mission is very much o.k. at night. The 33-Ashbury bus will take you along 18th Street - you could take it to and from 18th and Castro, then walk up a block to Castro and Market, where you can board either Muni Metro or the F-Line streetcar.

I forgot to second both A-16 and Chez Papa in my previous message. A-16 has the most amazing Italian wine list, along with the most authentic Naples-style pizza. Chez Papa would be a definite hit with your niece - interesting neighborhood, cool clientele, and.....the cutest, French-est waiters in town. Of course, the food is good too. If you eat there in cold weather, they will most likely have a beef daube or a lamb navarin on the menu - I've had both and can recommend them heartily.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:08 AM

"Tues. - Start at Golden Gate Park "

Start? You could easily spend all day there.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:15 AM

>>Sat. - Cable car up Powell towards Fisherman's wharf - take in crooked part of Lombard - chowder in bread bowl lunch from vendor - see sea lions - irish coffees at Buena Vista (for grown ups!) - hot fudge sundaes at Giradelli's (for everyone!) - rest at hotel - drinks at Tonga Room - dinner at one of the cheap eats recommended. Haven't chosen area yet.<<<

I don't know when you plan to rest at the hotel, but the activities up to then sure won't consume an entire day. Please note that not a single person recommend that you spend any time at Fisherman's Wharf, and one person said to see Pier 39 (sea lions) in the evening. Most residents don't really consider the Wharf or Pier 39 to be part of SF.

Instead, when you get off the Cable Car to see the crooked part of Lombard, walk west on Lombard to Franklin, then walk south on Franklin to Union St & explore the Union/Fillmore/Chestnut area. Have lunch somewhere on Union St (Rose's Cafe is a nice place to sit outside & get a light meal). At Chestnut & Divisadero, walk north on Divisadero until you hit water. Take in the views there. Walk East along the Marina Green, through Fort Mason, and then to Ghiradelli Sq for Sundae & Irish coffee. Take the Cable Car back downtown. Sit on the east side (far side) of the car. Hopefully this will allow you to miss the temptations of the Wharf & Pier 39.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Many of the areas that others have recommended for dinner (Mission, Potrero, Haight, Castro) are not places I would want to go to on a Saturday night if I were 19 again (I wish - haven't been 19 in 38 years). I probably would want to go where other college students are congregating. On Saturday, the Chestnut St area (between Fillmore & Divisadero) is flooded with students walking around & eating at steak houses, pasta places, Hamburger places, Turn Left at Albi....., Starbucks, etc. If I were 19 & with my aunt & uncle in this area on a Sat night, I would want to ditch them ASAP and hang out with the crowd & perhaps meet some west coast people on my own. This is not a "hard core" bar area - it's mostly restaurants of every variety - many of them outdoors.

If I were in my 30s or late 20s, I might want to dine in the Mission (I did, last Sat), Haight, Castro, etc. Note than many restaurants are closed on Sun & Mon. North Beach places are almost always open.

Just an idea.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. They are very much appreciated.

easytraveler - We live in L.A., so seeing the Pacific is not a novelty. However, the Golden Gate Bridge is. The friends that we are "brunching" with live in a beautiful home with expansive views of the bridge and water. As far as scenery, what do you recommend? Please keep in mind that we won't have a car.

bardo - I love GG Park, and I know we can't do it justice in a short period of time, but we'll do our best! I thought my neice might enjoy the Japanese Tea Garden (I know I do), and just walking around. Unfortunately, my huband doesn't enjoy museums (he's an uncultured swine). What is your favorite part of the park? What do you recommend?

Stu - I hear the outrage in your voice!! Believe me, I, too, am amazed when people come to L.A. and all they want to see is Venice beach and Universal Studios! What a waste.

I assure you that I have no interest in either the wharf or pier 39 -- way too much humanity for me! That said, it is her first trip to SF and I think she would enjoy seeing it BRIEFLY -- no lingering or shopping! Also, we are both crazy about animals, hence the visit to the sea lions. After that, though ,we intend to walk through Fort Mason and the Marina. I would like her to see the Palace of Fine Arts. Since we don't arrive in the city that day till 2pm, I figure it should make for a pretty full day.

As far as wanting to ditch us...that is not at all her style. It was mine at her age, but she's a bit of a recluse and wouldn't feel comfortable going out alone. Not to mention, I think she rather enjoys our company! That is the point of the whole trip.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Please know that I am paying close attention. You are all such a valuable resource!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Irego,
Strawberry Hill, Conservatory of Flowers, the Ocean (I'm not in CA). Not that it applies to your party, but I like the Museums as well. There is a bike rental right outside the park, which I recommend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -