Fort Worth Neighborhoods

Search

Fort Worth Neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fort Worth Neighborhoods

Hi, a life-long Texan who grew up in Dallas, I'll be moving to Fort Worth in a few weeks. Anyhow, I could really use suggestions on historic, interesting, convenient neighborhoods in Fort Worth. I suppose the Dallas equivalents would be the Park Cities, M Streets, etc.

I'm 30 y.o., and planning to buy my first house in the next few months. I suppose I'll probably get a short-lease in FW until I buy a home. But I'd like to find something that's less that $200K with character, nice people, and a location that's nearby the city's cultural offerings.

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM

Where will you be working? You don;t want to move into a charming neighborhood only to find that you are faced with a 1+ hour commute each way to your job!

Personally, I live in Grapevine. The city just celebrated its 160th abbiversary and it is a really good place to live. We have excellent city services and we are convenient to both Dallas and Fort Worth.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Good Point. I'd be working in North Fort Worth. North of 820 and West of 35.

I think I'd prefer to live in Fort Worth. It seems like a great place.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Btw, a neighborhood called Arlington Heights sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Fort Worth has grown so much that it really has become a traffic monster. Your rush hour commute can easily be an hour if you decide to live in Arlington Heights. The newer Far North FW neighborhoods close to your work are fantastic bargains for new construction - some as low as $50/SF.

Here is a link to the FW neighborhood associations. It looks like an incomplete listing, but it might still help in your research.
http://www.fwlna.org/members.htm

If I fit your demographic profile, I would look into the new downtown condos being built out of the old Bank One tower or South of 7th / Montgomery Wards, or any of the other "yuppie" downtown living being built. Sundance Square is vibrant at night, unlike Dallas. And the price is still quite reasonable when compared to other urban domiciles in the US. If you live downtown, it would also be easier to catch the train to Dallas. BTW, have you heard about the strong efforts underway to develop the nearby Trinity River? - see link http://www.trinityrivervision.org/default.asp

Alternatively, and mainly for investment purposes, consider buying a condo at the Texas Motor Speedway to live in for 95% of the year and lease out during raceweeks.

Have fun in cowtown. I always did.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Ah. You will be in the "Fossil Creek" area of Fort Worth.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything "historic" that will fall into your price range unless it is a "fixer-upper." Fort Worth does have its share of historic homes, but they are mostly on the city's south and west sides, which are not close to Fossil Creek.

Grapevine (and Texas Motor Speedway) will be quite a far drive every day. Traffic coming into town (soutbound on I-35) is pretty bad in rush hours. I personally wouldn't recommend living near the cultural district downtown since you'll be driving out to the edge of town every day. (Unless you like spending a long time in your car, that is!)

The closest areas for where you'll be living will be the newish neighborhoods around Fossil Creek, Blue Mound, and Saginaw. There are a lot of new homes being built in your price range in those areas. You might also look at the Wautagua and Keller areas, too. Keller does have some older homes and it has a really cute downtown.

Good luck!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM

I would live close to Bistro Louise - the best restaurant in the Metroplex.
M
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Hey, what about that highrise building downtown that was hit hard by the Tornado a few years back? I hear it is being turned into a high falutin' residential building a la NYC!
Can't get much closer to the center of things, IMO.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 05:00 AM

The Bank One tower. AFAIK, it is still just sitting there in the middle of downtown, waiting...

That would be a LONG drive to Fossil Creek every day.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Christie, have you been by the tower lately? When I was last there, there appeared to be much construction activity. Gossip told me that sales were strong for the condos.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM

My husband and I have many friends (same age demographic) who have purchased in the Fairmount Historic District. This is a regentrifying neighborhood that may or may not be up your alley. Arlington Heights and Monticello are also great neighborhoods to consider. The later will be the most expensive.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Forgot to give you the Fairmount website:
www.historicfairmount.com
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Sunnyboy

The "old" tornado ravaged Bank One Tower is currently undergoing massive renovations and will be housing upscale condos. First residents should be moving-in sometime this spring. It's pretty much sold out except for a couple of $million+ penthouses. There are lots of new downtown condo's coming on the market in the next year or two (several big developments in the works) but expect prices to be well above $250K except for the small studio or one bedroom units as most are being marketed for the young professionals or established empty nesters.

There are lots of new housing developments north of I-820 and west of I-30. It's a growing area with homes starting in the $130K's up to as high as you want to go. I drove through that area not too long ago and saw signs for at least a dozen developers. Fairly easy commute to where you will be working - much easier then from downtown.

Montecello and Arlington Heights are closer into the city (both very near the Cultural Center) may be out of your price range if you are looking for something decent although some of the older and smaller homes "fixer-uppers" may be in the $200K range. People tend to buy the older homes in these areas and tear them down to build new ones - that should give you some idea of how outlandish the prices can get.

As others have mentioned there are plans for a large condo/apartment complex on the Trinity River just north of downtown but that's sill about a year or two from groundbreaking.

Best advice is to get a short term rental when you first arrive. That will give you a base from which to check out the surrounding areas to find the type of housing and neighborhood that most appeals to you and your budget. There's plenty to choose from and each neighborhood will have it's own special appeal.