Search

That's It Goodbye to Winter Forever!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's It Goodbye to Winter Forever!

Hi All,
As a number of you know, I currently live in the Sarasota area and moved here from San Francisco in 1989. In the Winter of 1981/82, we were living in Iowa and finishing up our college work. We returned from a Christmas break of three weeks in Hawaii to an arrival wind chill of minus sixty five degrees. Two weeks later our neighbor dropped dead after blowing snow for the zillionth time that winter. We decided that night that we were leaving a winter climate and never going back.

An article in our paper two days ago stated that the realtors have seen a thirty percent increase in phone calls over last year from northerners and many are very serious about permanently relocating or buying for a second home in the winter.

How many have had a winter that was the last straw?? Are you still enjoying your relocation?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:25 PM

My parents went to Florida, loved it, came home, sold the house, moved to near Orlando. Then, they wanted to be on the ocean, so they moved to Melbourne. Early on, they had lots of visitors and loved the weather. But, after five years they moved back "home" because they missed the seasons, the family, and all their friends.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Oh. I was hoping that you were going to report that global warming was accelerating drastically and because of that it would be 78 degrees here in Northern VA tomorrow.

The "change of seasons" thing is just a rationalization.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM
GoTravel

I live on the balmy southern coast of South Carolina and can't stand it when it dips below 75 degrees.

Told husband this is the last winter I'm toughing it out. Hopefully, we'll be in South Florida by this time next year.

I know the weather dips below 75 during the winter in South Florida but it doesn't stay that way for long.

I don't think it will be that big of a transition for us.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Second-last straw. We're moving to southern British Columbia from Ontario, in about a year and a half. We won't escape winter entirely, but there shouldn't be any deep freezes like the ones we've been getting.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:30 PM

I keep threatening to buy a condo on Florida's West Coast to use during the winter but I am not near retiring and it would not make much sense at this point.

Long about mid February--or even before--most of us in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region have exhausted our patience with winter.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:08 PM

One of the reasons we just made our move to Florida was the winters.
Luckily, we have friends and family in NYC and Maine so we will be able to get the Fall leaves out of our systems each year if we want ..
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Scarlett, do you live near Jacksonville? It is one of the places on our "maybe" list. Jaye, still not sure how we feel about the relocation however. IMO, Whatever you do people, make sure you check out the area thoroughly!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Yes honey, I live IN Jacksonville. Email me if you like~
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:36 PM

yes, Scarlett, I will do that!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM

I'll be lonely, but I'm staying up north. There's no bad weather, just the wrong clothing. (Or however that quote goes.) When it's cold out, you can bundle up.

But when it gets too hot and humid out, you have to either stay inside hiding from it or subject yourself to miserable heat. There are just so many layers one can remove! People I know who have relocated to FL seem to spend the whole summer hanging around indoors or in the pool. I'd rather deal wtih ice than with those giant bugs, too.

My dream retirement consists of a place with interesting weather, but someone else to do the shoveling. Seems to me that it would be easier to hire someone wtih a plow rather than relocate entirely.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:11 PM
GoTravel

What is interesting weather?

I like the heat. The humidity makes my skin look much better than the cold.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:55 PM

I'm with Anonymous. I;ll take the cold and love the snow!! Lived in Key West for a while and hated it. Give me good brisk fresh air and a snow storm. Retired to Northwest Montana to ski, snowshoe, and hike in the summer. The more people who move out the more room for me.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:45 AM

We left SW OH almost 3 years ago and moved to near Ft. Myers and have not regretted it at all. We have 3 adult kids in FL and that was the main reason we moved, but after spending all of our lives in either IL or OH, it was time to leave that nasty weather.

Yes, it's an adjustment to learn to live with the hot, steamy summers here, but we go out in the morning and evening. As for the bugs, we have pest control for the house and a wonderful screened lanai! We have some chilly days which is fine, but we have sun almost everyday, which is much better! And some sort of flowers all year long.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:18 AM

I agree with GoTravel about the humidity. My skin is a flaky dry mess right now due to the gas heat and cold weather. I dream of moving to Florida where I will not have to endure another long cold winter. When I announce that I am going to Charleston or Florida in late July people stare and tell me how hot and humid it will be. Personally I thrive on the heat and become a grumpy person in the winter. I have a friend who lives in the north and he laughs when I complain about freezing in Atlanta. I have to constantly explain that I prefer my weather to be 80 and above.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:47 AM

I joined the Air Force in 1972. I left Kansas City in late February -- it was about 30 outside. When I got off the air plane in San Antonio and it was in the 70s, I knew then I had found my home. When I finally retired from the Air Force in 1995, this is where I came to live.

I was stationed in San Antonio in 1985 when my brother drove down from KC to visit over Thanksgiving weekend. It was a beautiful weekend and everything was green. It was already cold and dreary in Missouri. He moved down to San Antonio the following June and has been here since.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:41 AM
ceg

We left the snow and cold of Michigan about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Love being able to go outside all the time without freezing. Love not have to start my day snow blowing and shoveling. I'll take being inside in the afternoon for a few months a year because of the heat any day.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Oh Spring, Do Come Into Us

Oh Spring
Who waits so patiently behind Winter's white curtain of cold
Do come into us and wrap your warm tendrils of love and beauty
around us, replacing this bare, stark world that enwraps
us presently with your beautiful world of warmth and
colors a plenty
Oh Sky
Who shelters us all year round
Open up your eyes and cry the tears of rain
Letting the moistness of your drops help germinate
the seeds beneath our Mother's impregnated skin

Oh Sun
Who hath been hiding from us for so long
Come out and shine upon us with your infinite source
of warmth that will bring to us an abundance of
joy and happiness
Gazing upon us with your seemingly endless source of heat
that emanates from your rays of light that dance upon
our skin and bring us luminous sight

Oh Grass
Who tries to stand tall through it all
Become fully green and soft again, so as to give us a place
to lay our weary heads when we do tire after a full
day of play
Letting your blades of grass tickle the between of our toes when
we let our feet roam freely over you

Oh Flowers
Who patiently wait to come alive with many kisses of colors
Bloom, bloom, bloom and do open up for us, so our eyes can
behold the true beauty that you do offer to us so unselfishly

Oh Bushes
Who mostly stand bare and seemingly stoic
Bring forth your beautiful green foliage and delicate little
flowers that some of you have to offer, that do bloom
so lovely

Oh Trees
Who stand naked and strong all Winter long
Come, come, come alive with your plentiful green leaves
that do fill you out so beautifully
For you are our respite from the heat on those hot Summer
days that are sure to come to us after Spring's end
and with Summer's begin

Oh Birds
Who doth flee to escape Winter's harshness
Return again, return outside our windows, and perch
upon a branch and sing to us Spring's melody
of beauty and joy
For our ears do long for your singing during the time
of passing silence that does come to us when you
do flee South for the Winter

Oh Spring, do come into us
For we have been waiting far too long for you to
free us from this dark, cold, cavernous cave of
Winter and deliver us out onto your wide open spaces
of warmth and beauty that you do bring to us in your
Seasonal call

By Sarah Skye

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:09 AM

We live near Washington DC and have become SICK of the messy winters. My husband, who is from NEPA and swore he would never go further south then we are now, has also been complaining quite loudly about how sick he is of shoveling, salting and sanding. My brother and his family live in Orlando. I wouldn't mind one bit if we were to head in that direction in the near future...I'm ready to go now, but hubby might need one more winter to convince him!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM

We currently live in a high rise building where we don't have to shovel or salt, but nevertheless, we have had it with the Northeastern winters, and plan to move to Phoenix within the next two years.

We've decided that 3 VERY hot months are worth 9 great ones. We certainly don't have 9 great months in the Northeast any more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -