Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

That don't confront me, as long as I get my rollaway bed by Friday....

Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19, 17, 14 yr old + wife and I working on summer 2022 Maui trip (Wailea, Hana, Lahaina). We are using Hyatt points to book Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa for last leg. First two legs are in VRBO's $600+ per night in Wailea (7 nights) and Hana (2 nights). With airfare, haven't rented a car yet, lodging & expenses for 5 - this vaca is very expensive for us. Last leg, Hyatt is $775/night (5) nights but we are using points to cover the cost. To me that's too much money to not use points and we use the $$$ to enjoy meals out and SPA treatments that we likely won't be doing in the VRBO's. BUT my wife isn't liking the uncertainty of the Hyatt room situation. She's concerned about the beds and cramped room.

The issue is that this Hyatt property only redeems points for standard rooms that alllow 4 people max and we are party of 5. Our standard has two double beds - so we asked for a rollaway bed. The agent noted this on the reservation but could not guarantee and added that this 2 queen room does not allowed rollaway beds (but still put request in). Our plan is buy one blow up mattress on the island. We are concerned that we might not get the rollaway, get stuck with one King bed room in stead of two Queen beds. Analysis Paralysis.... Need your $0.02,

Q1: Hyatt - Go or no go? (alternative is another VRBO for $600/ night out of pocket)
Q2: does the resort really care if 5 in a room?
Q3: This Hyatt Resort - first leg or last of trip?
Q4: Name the song?
#georgethorogood
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 04:42 AM

What if you get caught with 5 in a room. If you go on their website, see if you can even book 5 people in any room. I do not think you will get a rollaway.

So no, I wouldn't stay there.

Maybe you should look into other islands.

Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 05:48 AM
J62

Now next Friday come I didn't get the rollaway, and out the door I went

you could stay at a VRBO, but they can be kinda funny.
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 06:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your wife is correct - cramped room, only one bathroom, and possibility of more complications. Don't try to 'sneak' in a 5th person. Could be hotel policy so they'd have the right to evict you (and you'd lose your points and you couldn't find anyplace to stay at the last minute). Could be county fire marshal's rule (and the hotel would have the right to evict you (and you'd lose your points and you couldn't find anyplace to stay at the last minute). Could be nobody's rule but there isn't enough space in the room for a 3rd bed. Plus the hotel will try to put you in a 2 queen - but there is no guarantee so you might only get a king bedded room.

I'd book a vrbo or airbnb
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 07:04 AM

What everyone else has said. Don't sneak anyone in--it isn't as if these are small children--they are full size adults!
Do something else
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 08:28 AM
J62

so many possible responses...

when I travel alone
I prefer to be by myself

or

move over little dog, the mean old dog is movin' in
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 08:34 AM

I'd probably look at another VRBO to have some extra room.
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No I would not try to sleep 5 adults in a room that the hotel only allows 4.

Can you use the points for two rooms instead?
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 10:03 AM

It is three adults (the 19 yo is considered an adult) and 2 teenage children. Still 5 people and still no.
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 12:34 PM

5 people and only one bathroom? Just shoot me instead.
Also as janisj suggested, this could be a fire code issue. I know here in LA, there are many hotels that do not allow more than 4 people, no matter their age, due to this issue (fire code regulations). Maybe look into a "suite hotel" type lodging?
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

now you funny too....
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
No I would not try to sleep 5 adults in a room that the hotel only allows 4.

Can you use the points for two rooms instead?
after a good night sleep, and reading the board here we agreed that it would be best to get two rooms in Hyatt to make it work. Was able to transfer Hyatt points immediately from another friend of mine over phone. Impressed with Hyatt customer service and was able to get a second adjoining room which solves the sleeping issue and one bathroom. But creates other issues for securing adjoining rooms (if they have when you check in). Also, learned that you can't get two queen beds in adjoining rooms - they are not set that way. Who knew. Everybody funny......

appreciate the feedback, i'm thinking this hotel will be my kids highlight. now by this time, i'm plenty high.....
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 11:15 PM

Not only legal occupancy issues, but to use the pools, you need to sign in for wristbands. Who is going to be left high and dry? You or the kids? I'd find some somewhere with more beds and bathrooms.

Last edited by lcuy; Nov 3rd, 2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old Nov 4th, 2021, 11:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Two rooms. Excellent solution. Do the rooms have to be "adjoining"?
Old Nov 4th, 2021, 04:27 PM
J62

so what you need?
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Two rooms. Excellent solution. Do the rooms have to be "adjoining"?
YES we want adjoining - we'd like to be together. We are both well aware that checking into a place like this is a total crapshoot as to what you get, what rooms are available, etc. We are saving $2k in accommodation alone vs VRBO at Honua Kai, but the room issue and having to switch rooms is not sitting well with either of us. First night we pay $$$, nights 2-5 we use points and have a lesser view room on lower floor. Not sure how this will work out, we are told we have to "move it on over" to other rooms day 2.... Hoping the resort experience here vs the VRBO is worth it.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=lcuy;17302329]Not only legal occupancy issues, but to use the pools, you need to sign in for wristbands. Who is going to be left high and dry? You or the kids? I'd find some somewhere with more beds and bathrooms.[/QUOTE

don't think the resort would let me slide without a wristband..... excellent point. one room ain't enough better make it two....
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
so what you need?
one Mai Tai, one scotch, one beer......