Thanksgiving Trip to Boston and surrounding area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (husband, daugther-10, son-9) and I have decided for the first time to take a vacation over Thanksgiving, November 20-27. We have decided on Boston to make a more historical Thanksgiving experience. Collectively, we like museums, great scenery, great food, walking/hiking, history, art and theatre. Here's a rough sketch of our trip:

Saturday: arrive late afternoon (we are coming from MN), get acclimated in hotel, etc. Main focus will be dinner and catching up from the flight.
Sunday: take the Duck Tour in the a.m. (I would NEVER have done this considering it too touristy but after reading a ton of postings continuously recommending it, I will acquiesce), Science Museum in the p.m.
Monday: Harvard in the a.m. - give my children a taste of collegiate life. Are there any areas specific to see/do with my children? My husband is an architect - anything specific? In the p.m., walk parts of the Freedom Trail (how long does it take for the whole trail?) and go to Paul Revere House and Fanueil Hall.
Tuesday - MFG, Isabelle Gardner and JFK library. This may be too many museums for my kids.
Wednesday - Concord. Walden Pond, Louisa May Alcott Home (both of my children love Little Women), what else to do? Use as a base to go to Sturbridge Village on Thanksgiving Day, and head to Longfellows Wayside Inn in Sudbury for traditional Thanksgiving dinner, returning to Concord that evening.
Friday/Saturday - Salem, Gloucester, Rockport. See the Witch stuff in Salem and the Peabody Essex Museum, and get my dose of scenery in Gloucester and Rockport.
Sun - fly home

I don't have reservations yet, but we will probably stay in the Copley area. Boston was my territory 15+ years ago (banker) and I stayed at the Westin and Marriott Copley. I would prefer to stay at a more quaint place, but with kids it is not always feasible - ie., need for two queen beds in the same room. Does my "rough" itinerary look feasible? What would you recommend for great seafood, especially lobster and crab in Boston and other areas that we will be visiting? Also, we wanted to go to the NE for Italian.

Is Concord a good overnight place for what we want to accomplish? If so, any recommendations. This time, I would love it to have a New England feel versus chain hotel from the city.

For the Salem, Gloucester part of the trip, where is the best place to stay, again with a New England feel and great scenery if possible?

I am trying to have a variety of activities since my children enjoy museums, but only 2 hours at a time. They are very restaurant savvy and have travelled a lot so I prefer local restaurants versus chains.

I have probably asked way too many questions for one posting. Thank you all for your help. I have gotten a lot of information from the previous postings, but I am now trying to firm up our trip. My kids love aquariums and children's museums, but we go to those ALL of the time whereever we go and I would like to see some things that I didn't get a chance to see when I was there on business. I chose the science museum because I gathered from previous postings that it was the one thing not to miss.

Oh, should we stay in Boston Saturday night due to traffic coming in from the holiday? We will be flying out around 1:00 p.m. Should we consider traffic issues at any other point in our trip due to the holiday? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM

I would recommend switching the JFK Library to Monday, after Harvard. Not only is this keeping to a theme, but you can get the subway's Red Line directly from Harvard Square to the UMass/JFK stop, then take the shuttle to the museum/library. After that, take the Red Line back to Park Street and do the beginning of the Freedom Trail, which starts right there.

Then on Tuesday, take the Green Line to the Gardner and then back on the Green Line to Government Center, walk a couple of blocks to finish the Freedom Trail -- the Faneuil Hall area, North End, Paul Revere, etc. I assume MFG meant the MFA; I agree this would be too much museum in one day, but if the kids are still game after the Gardner, pick a gallery or two; most kids like the Egyptian stuff.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Sturbridge is right at a major highway interchange (Mass Turnpike/Route 90 and Route 84 down thru CT) that gets badly backed up on holidays, so leave early and allow plenty of time. Have you considered the Thanksivign celebration meals at Sturbridge Village? Would save a lot on holiday driving! Personally, I'd sacrifice quaintness and stay in Sturbridge if possible.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Hammond Castle in Gloucester is very cool for kids. Like a museum but kind of weird and funky. I think that the Museum of Science is a great choice. My kids love it there. Your itinerary sounds good except perhaps for the Gardner and JFK on the same day. Both are doable but the kids might overdose on the info. You might consider a harbor tour (leave from the Aquarium) if the weather is good. The view of things from the water is totally different and amazing. Walden Pond is very basic. You need to hike around the Pond and it's basically a walk in the woods. Thoreau would still approve. Louisa May Alcott house is interesting but you won't need a lot of time there unless they have some special program for Thanksgiving. Get a hotel with a pool for the kids and spend part of the day relaxing or consider taking a trip up to Lowell for part of the day to see the Mills. Lots of kid friendly stuff. You will need to be flexible because of the weather but being from MN I'm sure you can adjust. Don't forget about the Mary's Little Lamb School House (corny and possibly semi-accurate) at the Wayside Inn and cross the street if it is still daylight to take in the view of the river. The Aquarium can be skipped without guilt and the Children's Museum is probably too young for your kids. Have a wonderful trip and a great Thanksgiving!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Hammond Castle, like the Gardner Museum, is the home/gallery/playground of a wealthy eccentric individual. Lots more fun than any regular museum could possibly be. But be sure to call ahead -- the close arbitrarily for special events. Read "The Wreck of the Hesperus" aloud as a family before you go.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Anon -
"Twas the schooner Hesperus that sailed the wintry sea, and the skipper had taken his little daughter to bear him company"
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Ah, shaz, not a dry eye in the place!

Corny, yes, but rather a more moving piece of work than "Perfect Storm."
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Well George Clooney was not identified as the skipper in the poem.

You're right the poem is corny but somehow touching. Kind of like those 60's songs where the girl dies and the boyfriend/father mourns. Hope I didn't give away the ending.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Somewhere, today's oldies DJ's have a blacklist of those death-themed songs from the 60s that they can't play anymore . . .

Patches, I'm coming toooo youuuuu . . .
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:50 PM

That is one terrific itinerary.

The kids will LOVE the Duck Tour. So will the parents. Best to book online as tours sell out quickly. If you want to wait until you can check the weather forecast, then book with the concierge at your hotel. If you go to the ticket booth, they'll likely be sold out. Plan to dress for very chilly weather (and it's breezy on the vehicle) so as to be comfortable while out and about.

Harvard is likely to be deserted that week...

A really fun restaurant just off Harvard Square is Fire & Ice.

Actually, I'd skip Harvard and spend the whole day on the Freedom Trail and Faneuil Hall/Quincy Marketplace (awesome street performers all about). There are many distractions all along the way. Then, have a fabulous Italian dinner in the North End.

The kids may find your Wednesday museums a huge snooze...my 15 year old (at the time) son advised me (in Washington, DC, after a day of art museums, National Archives, etc.) that he might appreciate this in ten years or so but found it bloody boring right now).

The kids might find Lexington (with the fabulous Museum of our National Heritage) more interesting than Concord.

Salem deserves a full day. Remember the short daylight hours.

Thanksgiving Day looks do-able. From Concord, it's about an hour to Old Sturbridge Village, then about 45 minutes to Longfellow's, then 20 minutes back to Concord.

There won't be any traffic on Thanksgiving Day. (Unlike the day/evening before and Sunday afternoon/evening.)

About that "traditional Thanksgiving dinner" - I would post a separate subject for reviews of Longfellow's. I cannot speak for Longfellow's specifically, but so few places are open on Thanksgiving, those with "traditional dinners" tend to be disappointing experiences (too pricey for the food and service and too busy to provide leisurely, well-paced, service).

If you're going to Old Sturbridge Village (and, be advised the entire place may seem rather bleak and dreary around Thanksgiving time), I highly recommend seeing whether the Sturbridge Bistro will be offering a "traditional Thanksgiving dinner". If so, book there. It's not a vintage place. But, the chef is new and energetic and the food is magnificent (and moderately priced). Whatever you do, avoid the Publik House.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:56 PM

PS - Plimoth Plantation may be a better Thanksgiving destination. For the scenery (it's right by the ocean) and for more seeing and doing.
http://www.plimoth.org/visit/calendar/index.asp

The wax museum is also terrific.
http://www.capecodvisitor.com/plymou...wax_museum.htm

As far as I can tell, it's open Thanksgiving Day.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:03 PM

I always assume that when people say Concord they mean Lexington also. Certainly take a hike along the Minuteman Trail and see the "Rude Bridge" and the nice little museum. It is all very close. I also think that you have a great itinerary. Though I think that sometimes people come to New England with too much planning. Relax, get a map, the historical stuff will be here for a long time. Take in Kelly's Roast Beef, or spend an hour on the Common throwing a ball around, or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Anon - "By the rude bridge that arched the flood, there once to the April's breeze unfurled."
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Sorry "Where once to the April's breeze unfurled"
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:01 PM

We've stayed at Longfellow's Wayside Inn a number of times, and I can't imagine a better place to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I bring kids who visit to the Children's Museum, The Science Museum and the Mit Museum. Henrietta's Kitchen, for dinner or lunch time In Cambridge at the Charles Hotel would be a good choice if staying in town.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:18 PM
gyppielou

oceanviewinnandresort.com....in Gloucester might be nice. Atlantic Ave is wonderful and close to a lot. Are the ducktours still running then???

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:16 AM
lvk

I would recommend the Plymouth attractions also. You can buy a family membership and get admission to the Mayflower, Wax Museum and Plimouth Plantation. The Mayflower, Plymouth Rock and Wax Museum are close together in the Harbor, and easily do-able in a morning. You could then spend the aft. at the Plantation.

I grew up in Mass. and did most of the places you mentioned on various field trips over the years. I now live in CA, and try to take my kids (11 & 9)to these places every time we are in NE visiting family. The last time we went, we did Plymouth. I wanted to do the Paul Revere/Freedom trail thing the next day- but they had enough history for that trip! (Had much more fun hanging out with their cousins) I would choose your absolute must-sees and do them early in the day, fully expecting not to do the others on your list. I have found that I always have to schedule some "downtime" in between the tourist stuff.

I'm not sure your kids would be too impressed with the Salem Witch Museum or Nathaniel Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables. If you need something to eliminate, Salem might be it.

Have a great trip! We'll be there visiting family that week also. We're going to do the Duck Tour and maybe get to the Paul Revere House on this trip.

I hope you post a trip report when you return. I would love to know how which attractions your kids enjoyed the most.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:55 AM
sam

For a historic hotel in Concord try www.ConcordsColonialInn.com, they have a great website that will help you with activities around there. It's less than a mile from the Old North Bridge right on Concord Common. I think there's more in Concord to do than Lexington, but that's just my opinion. For a chain hotel with pool in Concord, there's a Best Western on Route 2 about 2 miles from Concord Common. That's it for hotels in Concord with the exception of B&B's that I'm not familiar with.
The Wayside Inn is next to impossible to get Thanksgiving reservations for. I tried last year and couldn't get in. I called a month in advance and they told me the day and time they would start accepting reservations. I called at exactly that time and it rang busy for hours. By the time I got through they only had 6pm left. They have certain seatings, I believe @ noon, 2, 4 and 6pm. I'd call them to find out what their reservation plan is for this year 978-443-1776. Next door to it is the old school house, Martha Mary Chapel, and across the street & down a bit is The Gristmill (big photo opportunity spot). A pretty spot even if you can't eat at the Inn.
I would also assume that Sturbridge & Plymouth restaurants may also book up in advance, so you should choose and reserve early if possible.
I think Salem with teenagers is a very good day trip. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to give me such great information, and now more things to think about. As for Boston, we will do JFK the same day as Harvard - thank you. Sorry, about the typo, meant MFA.

What about great seafood restaurants in Boston? Specifically, crab and lobster. My children love crab.

As for Concord/Lexington, Sturbridge Village versus Plymouth, I wish to see the Northern part, specifically Gloucester and Rockport; therefore,I thought it would take less time to get from Concord to Salem, Gloucester, etc. than from Plymouth. So, I put this out to you experts, is it better to go to Plimouth Plantation versus Sturbridge? My criteria...traditional Thanksgiving experience for all of us (by the way, my kids go on field trips to local farms, school houses, etc. which reenact late 1800's, early 1900's life and they love it!), good food (my concern is that most of the meals are just okay and I have read great things about Longfellow's Wayside Inn) and great scenery. I realize it is late November, but I enjoy the stark beauty of the ocean on an overcast day so I think I should be okay. It sounds like Plymouth gives both scenery and traditional Thanksgiving appeal; however, we would be travelling from there to Salem, etc. the Friday after Thanksgiving. Would this be a long trip? I really want to go to the Gloucester/Rockport area for the scenery. Thank you for the recommendation for Hammond Castle. My kids love "castle" like museums. We went to one in Toronto, basically a wealthy person's estate, and they talked about it for weeks! I was throwing Salem in just because it is there and looks interesting and have read fabulous things about the Peabody Essex. Frankly, if I was going to leave the kids at home, I would head straight to Gloucester/Rockport and hike and hang out.

Thank you!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

I realize you all have been so generous so I am really pushing it here! Could anyone answer my above questions...Sturbridge versus Plimouth in light of our criteria and lobster/crab restaurants in Boston? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -