Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Thanksgiving dinner in Seattle (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/thanksgiving-dinner-in-seattle-1671610/)

bon_voyage Sep 9th, 2019 04:59 PM

Thanksgiving dinner in Seattle

I’m looking at the possibility of spending Thanksgiving in Seattle this year (older son now lives in the area). My first google turned up this list of restaurant options for 2018, https://seattle.eater.com/maps/resta...seattle-turkey. Any thoughts on this list or other recommendations?
Thank you!

Gardyloo Sep 10th, 2019 05:32 AM

Half of the places listed are in hotels, so I'd imagine this year's offerings will be similar to last year's. Of the list, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them, but if I had to pick, I'd probably go with Six Seven at the Edgewater Hotel for its combination of (typically) terrific food with its stunning view of Puget Sound and the Olympic mountains. I'd go around sunset (4:22 PM on the 28th) in hopes the mountains would be in silhouette.

For the non-hotel places, I'm sure they're all terrific, but for old-time style I'd probably go with the Daniel's Broiler location on Lake Union. Same story, always reliable, great view, and, like the Edgewater, parking close by, just in case it's raining, which is a major risk.

bon_voyage Sep 10th, 2019 06:52 AM

Gardyloo, thank you for those detailed recommendations! Thanksgiving in Seattle is not an obvious choice over Orange County weatherwise, but this year we are looking to do something different.

Gardyloo Sep 10th, 2019 07:53 AM

For an even more spectacular setting, one where rainy weather actually has its benefits, have a look at the dining room at the Salish Lodge (aka the "Great Northern" from Twin Peaks) which sits on the edge of Snoqualmie Falls. The falls are always fab in the fall and winter, and if there's been rain in the days before Thanksgiving (a good bet) the volume of water going over the falls is awesome. https://www.salishlodge.com/

bon_voyage Sep 10th, 2019 08:26 AM

That’s a wow—your knowledge base is the best—thanks for expanding the possibilities.

suze Sep 10th, 2019 11:03 AM

I would LOVE to see the menu at Wild Ginger and how they do up Thanksgiving. That restaurant is fabulous and I'm sure they'd put their special spin on things.

Certainly the falls and Salish Lodge would be a special dinner to remember kind of place.

Fodorite018 Sep 10th, 2019 11:23 AM

The one warning I always give to Seattle visitors for Thanksgiving is that Sunday of that weekend is the big marathon, so closed roads and full hotels for that Saturday night. So if you are planning on staying here on Saturday, be sure to book your lodging far in advance if you want something close to the core downtown. Then on Sunday, factor in road closures if you are needing to be out and about fairly early.

I can't help with restaurants as we always have Thanksgiving at home.

bon_voyage Sep 10th, 2019 03:52 PM

Suze, thanks for highlighting Wild Ginger. I’ll check it out after I’ve digested mms’s post. Mms, thank you for that critical heads up. Likely to affect flights as well.

jpie Sep 11th, 2019 06:48 AM

All the above suggestions are right on IMO. Tilth out near the University is also one of our best kind of "farm to table" style restaurants and set in a classic Seattle bungalow so an intimate and homey experience. Wild Ginger could be a more exotic but very nice choice as well so I am with suze there. And I would definitely start to call places that interest you now just to see what their thanksgiving plans are for this year-they may already be willing to book.

suze Sep 11th, 2019 10:56 AM

I don't know if it's on this year but I know in the past Brasserie Margaux at the Warwick Hotel did a traditional Thanksgiving spread. Have not been (as I too eat at home that day) but the menu looked stellar.

bon_voyage Sep 11th, 2019 11:09 AM

Jpie, I appreciate your additional input and thanks again to you, suze. You Seattle Fodorites set the standard for helpfulness.

suze Sep 11th, 2019 02:32 PM

We have a really nice forum over on Trip Advisor too. One of the most helpful ones I've run across over there.

THANKS for the compliments. I learn a lot myself!

bon_voyage Oct 22nd, 2019 08:28 AM

Just a quick follow up. Back in mid-Sept I would have been able to get a hotel, the Mayflower Park, at reasonable rates, but the flights were already $$$, multiplied by two as my younger son would have been going as well. Older son will come home instead. Thanks again, I hope to take advantage of your suggestions sometime in the future.

Kathie Oct 23rd, 2019 09:11 AM

I appreciate this thread. We are in the process of selling our house and moving to a new neighborhood in Seattle, and this thread reminded me that we will be busy with the move and not attending to Thanksgiving dinner at the end of November. So I made reservations at Tilth for Thanksgiving.

Fodorite018 Oct 23rd, 2019 12:45 PM

Kathie--Oh wow, leaving such a great neighborhood must be hard. Best wishes with the move and all that that entails. Smart to think ahead and make things easier on yourself for the holiday meal:)

lcuy Oct 23rd, 2019 11:21 PM

Kathie, I wish I'd known you'd listed your home. Your home was exactly what she wants, and I would have been willing to chip in just so I could come visit the garden on a regular basis!
Hope your move goes smoothly.

Kathie Oct 24th, 2019 08:56 AM

lcuy, our house hasn't sold yet! I'd love to sell it to someone who really appreciates the garden.

The whole deal is up in the air right now. The house we picked out counter-offered at a higher price... and two new listings in our current neighborhood have come online. So we will be looking at those and may return to look again at the house we made an offer on to get a better idea of what it would cost to fix it up as we would want it.

lcuy Oct 24th, 2019 10:16 PM

The Seattle housing market is not for the faint of heart!

Fodorite018 Oct 25th, 2019 06:07 AM

Lucy--True, but it has gotten much better for buyers! It isn't nearby as bad as it was the last few years. Houses are sitting a bit now instead of selling even before a sign is in the yard.

Kathie Oct 25th, 2019 07:55 AM

This spring, in our neighborhood anything on the market that was reasonably priced sold immediately. It has now slowed down so isn't so frantic.