Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Texas in November?(from a french friend of America)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is November a good season to visit Texas? And what precisely in Texas?
Alain (french friend of America)
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:00 AM

November thru April is a good time to visit Texas. Weather is usually much milder.

The state is huge . . depending on your interests, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas seem to be the more popular for visitors. Big Bend, Gulf Coast offer contrasting experiences of Mountains and Beach.

This is a good site to start planning your trip. www.traveltex.com

Hope you enjoy your trip . . Rich
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:14 AM

Don't leave out a trip to Austin. It's much different than other cities in Texas from a geographical/topographical perspective as well as a cultural and political one. It's a fun place and will add a nice balance to your travels in other parts of the state.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Be Careful... Don't forget our that "W" is from Texas...
This headline from the Houston Chronicle:

If you want to hate the French, do it with savoir-faire
By MICHAEL LEWIS
April 12, 2003, 11:23PM
(they think it is humorous)

I agree with Owen Oneill that Austin has a better overall philosphy of mankind in general. I also seem to recall a French woman living in Texas having her house spray-painted with hate language. Texans were having a riot over that one! Our Texan president divides our nation by (here's one example) sexual orientation - by appointing reactionary judges to the bench, and as he did in Texas by refusing to sign the Hate Crimes bill if it included gay or lesbian Americans as potential victims.

Tread softly in Texas, my dear French friend.

BTW - I have purchased some wonderful chocolates from the website:
BuyFrenchNow.com

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:21 AM

I agree with the suggested cities to visit herein, but I would visit Texas in either October/November or April/May. The mid-winter months in Texas can be miserably dreary and chilly.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:03 AM

I think a Frenchman might enjoy visiting a Texas winery--Texas is the 5th largest producer of wine in the US.Austin reminds of Connecticut.At least the lay of the land.Youmight want to look at the country west of Austin in the Hill Country.
www.texaswinetrails.com
www.texashillcountry.com
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:07 AM

What Paul fails to tell you is that when this happened to that woman, her neighbors and those in the city all rallied around her. People were horrified. Paul, it's not just the French bashers who have a very narrow view of people from a certain area. I've lived in Texas my whole life, grew up in Dallas, lived in Houston & Austin, and I don't know a single person who would treat you with anything but hospitality. Don't let the actions of a few influence you...every country and city has its extremists. So please come to Texas and enjoy I just moved back to Austin from Houston recently, and both have their merits. Austin is, yes, my favorite...funky, more areas to visit nature/view wise, pretty. Austin is close to San Antonio, so you could do both, there's Fredericksburg, Salado close by too (little towns with antique shops, etc). As for "sites" they are the best. Dallas & Houston are your typical metropolitan area. Museums, Clubs, Shopping. You can visit the coast, but I'm not a fan of the gulf area...it's not very well maintained. And November will be cooler, yes, but all you could really do would be stroll around. April is by far the best month for visiting, IMHO, you can do alot of things outdoors without being too hot or cold. The problem with November is that it's just not as pretty in Texas then due to nature going into winter season. And if you have children who want to do some things, like visit theme parks, swim, they can't. At least when it's warmer you can go tubing, canoing, etc.

Sorry, I know this is alot of random info...maybe if you let us know who is traveling in your party and what your interests are we can give you some better ideas?
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Alain - What kinds of things interest you? Let us know and we can try to help. I second the traveltex website as well.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Dont miss the Riverwalk in San Antonio. New Braunfels, 20 miles north of SAT has the oldest dance hall (its in Gruene) Where many singers got their start. The wine trail is great . Austin is a good choice also. But face it .Texas is sooo big you will have to come back again and again . And rent a car cause we dont have a train or bus thats worth a darn.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:03 PM

Wurstfest in New Braunfels TX www.wurstfest.com 30 OCT-9NOV. I of top 10 festivals in the USA. Dont miss it. New Braunfels is between Austin and San Antonio. The weather could be great or it could be nasty. But whatever it is just wait a while and it will change.Make your room reservation now or stop on the way to San Antonio and stay in SAT.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:52 AM

The only thing about Novemeber is that it is not as pretty here then. Although it sometimes starts warming up in February, April is guaranteed to be prettier & warmer. Although it can heat up fast, it usually isn't hot here then.

March can go either way. May-September can be hot. Of course, I kind of enjoy it. We have cold springs to cool off our sun-baked selves.

October has a little better weather than November. It's almost never hot, but it is usually a lot warmer than November.

If you do visit in the Fall, Lost Maples State Park is supposed to be beautiful during the few weeks where the leaves are changing color. You have to book in advance though.

Yes, I know plenty of people who have it in for the French right now, including my Houston located mother who loved France before the war. I know people in Austin who are boycotting French products. But none of these people would commit a hate crime. You probably are better off sticking to the big cities and the Austin Hill Country area though in terms of friendliness.

We have some French friends living in Austin, and I have not heard of them experiencing any personal hostility since the war.

Austin and the Hill Country are great places to visit though, so you can't go wrong.

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 09:15 AM

I would recommend San Antonio also. I was only there for one night but what I saw was lovely.
As far as the silly boycotting French products is concerned, I wonder if anybody is ready to send back the Statue of Liberty yet? I should hope not.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Have you thought about doing something very stereotypical of the western movies? You can find "dude ranches" around the state where you can go horseback riding. I haven't done it since I was a child... but, it was a fun family weekend trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Hey Alain... you don't happen to be a singing french friend who lives in the cold north?
From an equally friendly Texan.