Texas Hill Country in Autumn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a driving trip, starting in Dallas. Any recommendations for the Hill Country area (and when we should go...Late September too hot? Late October too chilly? Any areas we should concentrate on, and is San Antonio too much to add to the schedule? We have about 10 days total.
Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM

The best time for the Hill Country area has passed -- April is when the wildflowers bloom. But I've heard autumn is nice . . . that means October.

What's too chilly? If you're from Phoenix, a Dallas summer could qualify; if you're from the northeast, you'll be hard pressed to find too chilly in Texas in October.

Late September can be very hot . . . or not. Sometime in September 10-20 is when the weather turns from really flippin' hot to semi-crapshoot on whether it will break 90. Can also be rainy -- just ask me, my wife and our 65,000 friends who attended Austin City Limits last year (first weekend of October).
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Lots of great places in that area - San Antonio, Austin, and Gruene are all great towns. March and April are our favorite times, but late September and early October would probably have nice weather.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM

It kind of depends on what you are hoping to do on your trip but I think October weather is nice.

I haven't been to Lost Maples State Park (it's on my list) but I hear the color change is pretty in late October to early November. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...s/lost_maples/

If you are in Dallas in late September or early October you might want to check out the State Fair.

I'll let others who are more familiar with the Hill Country advise you on what areas to concentrate on. You should be able to fit San Antonio into your schedule though. I would also recommend going to to Natural Bridge Caverns in nearby New Braunfels. It's definitely worth a visit. http://naturalbridgecaverns.com/
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
P_M

Fredericksburg is a fave for most people and if you are into hiking, October would be a great time to tackle Enchanted Rock. You don't have to be a rock-climber, it is very walkable with great views from the top.

Fredericksburg has many great B&B's as well as wonderful German food and German style bier halls. As you have probably guessed by now, it was colonized by Germans and the tradition is still alive. The National Museum of the Pacific War is recommended if you have an interest in WW2. There are also nearby wineries.

Another place near Fredericksburg is the LBJ Ranch on the way to Johnson City. You don't have to be a fan of LBJ to enjoy a visit. The ranch itself is free and there is a small charge for the tram tour where you will see the house, his school and some of his cars. If that is of no interest then see the little village near the main entrance. There are some perfectly preserved homes so you can see how life was 100+ years ago. There is no charge to see this, the only charge you would incur is for the tram tour.

While April is best, I still think October will be a great time to visit.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM

I totally agree with the recommendation for the State Fair in Dallas! www.bigtex.com

The Hill Country will be nice in the fall, but don't expect fall color. The trees there are mostly live oaks, which only shed part of their leaves in the spring, and they don't change color at all.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Late September is typically still pretty hot. October is nice all around, late October is particularly gorgeous as well.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM

April and October are my favorite months here in Texas. Being from upstate NY, fall in Texas pales (as in leaves) in comparison, but the weather rocks. Someone mentioned Lost Maples - thats where you will see the nicest fall weather and changes. I agree with Fredericksburg, Gruene, Austin. Ten days will give you time to experience San Antonio for a quick trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Hmmm, this is interesting...Lost Maples State Park is rated as one of North America's top ten fall foliage destinations. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-35710990 Sounds like it's worth a visit.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 03:18 PM

P_M- Last time I went to the LBJ Ranch there was no longer a tram tour. You pay for a tour of the house (parts are open for the tour) and now you may drive you car around the grounds.

Lost Maples is wonderful to see in the fall- camping is nice there too! Enchanted Rock St. Park would be a fun, outdoor excursion. If you are up to doing a zip line there is one out that way too- http://cypressvalleycanopytours.com/. Try the Willow City Loop outside of Frederickburg for a nice drive in the country- http://www.lone-star.net/wildflowers/willowcityloop.htm. Enjoy the numerous bar-b-que restaurants while in the Hill Country too.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 04:54 PM

bookmarking
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 06:22 AM
P_M

kkurura, that's an interesting twist. When were you there last? I was there in the spring of 2008 and that's the last time I took the tram tour. It would be nice to drive around on your own and take it at a more leisurely pace.

MomDD, c'mon down here so we can have lunch.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM

I am working on it P-M
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM

P_M- I was there last year right after Christmas, December 2009. Here is the link:http://www.nps.gov/lyjo/planyourvisit/visitlbjranch.htm.
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 10:18 AM

bookmarking