Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   TEXAS HEAT (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/texas-heat-345377/)

RLA Aug 6th, 2003 01:45 PM

TEXAS HEAT

It is currently 107 (feels like 110) and perhaps still climbing in many parts of the state right now. As my mother would say, "It's hot as a lizard on a flat rock in the sunshine!"

Chele60 Aug 6th, 2003 01:59 PM

Is there really that much of a difference between 107 and 110? Never knew 3 degrees made that much of a difference, especially once the mercury rises above 100.

rjw_lgb_ca Aug 6th, 2003 02:05 PM

Oh my... 107? With Texas humidity? Oy veys mir!!

Chele: I think I am just as hot with 107 degree heat as 110. Or 114, which was the high one lovely summer afternoon last year in Palm Springs when I visited their natural history museum. When I left that building, I thought I just might spontaneously combust.... And my poor skin! Or as Phyllis Diller put it: "When you put mousturizer on, your skin's not supposed to go *SHLURPP*!!"

TxTravelPro Aug 6th, 2003 02:28 PM

108 here in Sachse, Tx.
It's really not that bad if you are in the shade. Really... I prefer the weather on the California coast (ahhhhh) but I would rather be in Sachse Tx that be subject to hard winters or constant rain. But then again, I grew up here.

Maple Aug 6th, 2003 02:29 PM

Whoa there!! It is 108 now in Dallas, but humidity is only 17%. BUT, we will check back in January and get weather reports for places north of here! I keep telling myself that we don't have to scoop, shovel & scrape the sunshine!

RLA Aug 6th, 2003 03:00 PM

You are right. The humidity is lower than normal today - thank goodness. I have been in all day, but just went to the mailbox to see how it felt. It didn't feel any hotter than usual for that two minutes, but I'll bet those who work outside all day can sure tell the difference! Honestly, 90% with high humidity is more uncomfortable than today's heat to me. There IS a difference in dry heat vs. humid heat. I have lived in both. The same is true for dry cold vs. wet cold isn't it? The display for outside temp. on my husband's car read 120 just minutes ago. He said his car engine almost overheated sitting in line at the bank for just a couple of minutes. I can handle the heat more than cold. When cold, I can't warm up no matter how many layers of fleece or wool I wear. Then I feel like I can't move in all the clothes and coats. Heat can be intolerable to me at times, but extreme cold makes me physically hurt.

sparks Aug 6th, 2003 03:30 PM

I always tell the friends & relatives back north that this is our winter. We go from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car to the air conditioned office or mall. During the winter up north, we went from the heated house to the heated car, etc. The only difference is you can add more clothing. Here, you can only take off so much.

Binthair Aug 6th, 2003 03:31 PM

If ya' can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen....I recommend vacating the entire South if possible.

rjw_lgb_ca Aug 6th, 2003 03:38 PM

Binthair: What, are you tired of the line at Café du Monde too?!

RLA Aug 6th, 2003 04:45 PM

Binthair: There is no place like home, especially if your were born and raised in the South.

Sparks: LOL Thanks for the chuckle!

RachelG Aug 6th, 2003 04:48 PM

Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I like hot--it's 100 today in Tulsa and that's fine. My favorite time of day is leaving the office and getting in my car where I bake for a couple of minutes before turning it on.

RLA Aug 6th, 2003 05:08 PM

Rachel ~ That does feel terrific since offices, schools, movie theaters, and dining places are usually overly air conditioned and freezing. However, on a day like today, if you left your car in a mall parking lot for a couple of hours, you couldn't get right in it. After you did, you can't touch the steering wheel for awhile. It's usually brutal getting in a hot car, but that actually happened to me once. It was 5 minutes before I could fully get going. Better for me than shoveling snow out of my driveway. I'm such a wimp in the cold.

Binthair Aug 6th, 2003 06:15 PM

I too was born and raised in the South and live in Houston. The smart money heads for to the Rockies this time of year.

BTilke Aug 6th, 2003 09:09 PM

It will be just as hot today in Paris, France, only most people there have no air conditionning. Try having 107 degrees with no air/co in your home, office or shops!
It will be 100 here in Brussels today. Very little air conditionning here either. No relief in sight--this has been a long, hot summer.

TxTravelPro Aug 7th, 2003 05:35 AM

How horrible for you in Europe!
I can't imagine NOT having A/C with that kind of heat.
Hopefully it cools down at night!

BTilke Aug 7th, 2003 06:11 AM

Unfortunately, the longer the heat wave lasts (projected to keep going until the end of the month), the warmer the evenings. The nighttime lows keep moving up (from low 60s to mid 60s to mid 70s to 80s), so relief each day is shorter-lived.

wemr Aug 7th, 2003 07:44 AM

107 in Paris, Texas! But it feels like 104.

RLA Aug 7th, 2003 08:47 AM

God bless those with no a/c. Really.

beachdreams Aug 7th, 2003 09:00 AM

I am like Rachel. I love the feel of the heat on my skin. It certainly beats the freezing AC in my office. It has only been in the mid to upper 80's in Atlanta this summer. Sigh!

aprilkrueg Aug 7th, 2003 03:29 PM

Whew... a DFW native now living in Miami for the past three years - and laughing that my friends and family wondered how would I ever handle the humidity here. OUCH - all my hopes of convincing my husband to move to Texas I think have been shot with this weeks heat wave.