Search

5 nights in LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 nights in LA

We're planning a trip to NYC in November, and stopping in LA for 5.

Plane arrives at 7am, so we have 5 days to fill.

We will have our 5 year old daughter. Disneyland is the only "must do". Am thinking 2 days.
Not sure what else at this stage, maybe San Diego, maybe Legoland, maybe other LA type things.

I'm thinking maybe the first 2 or 3 nights in Anaheim, then the rest in LA. I'd rather walk to Disneyland, but reading that other than DL, Anaheim is not a great place to stay.

Thoughts? Where in LA is the best place to stay? Our flight to NYC leaves approx 9am so we don't want a huge commute that morning.

Thanks
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Have a look on a website called viator.com. I have booked to head to San Diego Aquarium for the day and also includes return transport from most LA hotels. Found the price very reasonable also. Also have never had any trouble with that website for booking things! Have a great trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Yeah, not much to see in Anaheim other than DL. San Diego and Legoland are 2 hrs south of LA. Would not be convenient at all to stay in LA. San Diego has a lot of things to do, world famous zoo, Sea World, the beach, Balboa park. Legoland is in Carlsbad, just a little north of SD.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM

If you are going to Disneyland you can easily stay in the Anaheim Area for 2 days and then head south to San Diego and spend the next 3 days there. The drive between LA & San Diego can be bad at times but we often go down for the day and come back that same day. It is not a bad drive. However, I would not want to do it daily. If you are going to several things down there I would stay down there for a couple days and then you can come back up to LA. Have fun.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

Cali - so is it easier to get from Anaheim to San Diego & Carlsbad, than going from LA? I don't think we would drive...wrong side of the road and all!

I vaguely recall someone mentioning shopping in Carlsbad? Is this correct?

Husband is talking about Santa Monica pier as something he'd like to go to as well, assuming that's something from LA.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM

KathrynJH, yes it is closer and easier to get to San Diego and Carlsbad from Anaheim. LA is about 30 miles farther up the road than Anaheim. The major thing about going to San Diego or even driving in the LA Area is not to be on the freeways during rush hour. Yes, you can have something that slows you down at anytime, but rush hour is the worst. Santa Monica Pier is up above LAX so you could go there after you arrive or before you leave - that is if you are flying into and out of LAX. Yes, there is shopping in Carlsbad. There is an outlet mall which is popular and you can find some good buys. If you absolutely don't want to drive to San Diego you can take the train from Fullerton (right next to Anaheim).
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM

Ever think about the beach? It isn't too far out of the way, the only thing is getting there that might cost some extra money. Other than travel the beach is free! It's a good get away and the little ones love the beach. Great way to relax and knock out a day on your trip.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM

I agree for what you want to do, Anaheim and San Diego County is a better program. Perhaps the last night in LA in Santa Monica, which isn't far to the airport.

It's easy to get straight from LAX to an Anaheim hotel by the Disney Express Bus or a Supershuttle Van.

You might consider just renting a car once you leave Anaheim, just for the San Diego portion, it will be freeway most of the way and with a GPS you'll do alright "on the other side". Then you could take the train back (it ends downtown LA at Union Station). The Big Blue bus has a daytime express service (Route 10) to Santa Monica.

More info on the Big Blue bus
http://www.bigbluebus.com/busroutes/...fweek=weekdays
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

GTO19 - we live an hour so so from beautiful beaches here in Australia, but maybe spending a day chilling at a beachside cafe would be nice. Likely to be too cold for swimming for us!

Am thinking the first 3 nights Anaheim, last two Santa Monica, as we're not really keen to do Hollywood etc (husband went a few years ago, I went when I was 10 and think daughter is too young at 5).

We might hire a car for a day or two, husband now informs me he drove everywhere last time and traffic is fine.