Search

Tested positive on holiday in Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tested positive on holiday in Vegas

Hi
my son is currently on holiday in Vegas and has tested positive. He had to go into quarantine into a state hotel as Caesars wouldn’t let him keep his room on.
Has anyone else been in this predicament. He was due home on 21dec but now is due 31st after his 10 day quarantine.
Can anyone advise how he can get a documentation of recovery of covid to fly
All help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 02:08 AM

The same thing has happened to our son in law's business partner in Mexico! I would think he could contact the public health officials in Las Vegas to find out what he needs.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not exactly the same situation, but a relative of mine tested positive in New York. He was immediately tested a second time to confirm the first result. He lives with several roommates in Brooklyn, and to protect his roommates he was ordered into state-sponsored quarantine at a hotel. (His roommates were tested and thankfully all were negative.) He was retested daily while in quarantine, released when he tested negative twice within 48 hours and then given documentation of his tests and recovery. I supposed this documentation could be used to board a flight, but it would only be "valid" for perhaps 24- 48 hours. Then I think he'd have to be tested again within the pre-flight requirement period.

Your son should be able to ask the quarantine officials what the procedures will be in his situation.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
Not exactly the same situation, but a relative of mine tested positive in New York. He was immediately tested a second time to confirm the first result. He lives with several roommates in Brooklyn, and to protect his roommates he was ordered into state-sponsored quarantine at a hotel. (His roommates were tested and thankfully all were negative.) He was retested daily while in quarantine, released when he tested negative twice within 48 hours and then given documentation of his tests and recovery. I supposed this documentation could be used to board a flight, but it would only be "valid" for perhaps 24- 48 hours. Then I think he'd have to be tested again within the pre-flight requirement period.

Your son should be able to ask the quarantine officials what the procedures will be in his situation.
thank you Jean. He’s been told he he’s to quarantine at this state hotel for 10 days, and then he can go as he’s done his isolation. They just give him a letter to say he quarantined for 10 days. , but we need a neg test to get flight home. They haven’t tested him.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 07:46 AM

I'm impressed they enforced that. I am not clear on WHO told you that he needs this proof to fly, as they should specify the requirements. I also am confused as to why he would need that IF he passes a negative viral test before flying. IS there some reason he is presuming he will fail? That means he is still infectious, I believe. IN fact, I think the proof would be some health provider signing to that effect and they would only do that usually if he did pass a test.

So I don't understand these requirements or who is telling you and who enforces them. Also, I guess he is leaving the US and that's why these rules? Because you don't need any documents to fly within the US so I just don't know how that would be enforced, unless Vegas informs all airlines about him or something which is hard to believe but maybe they do. Also, if he were vaccinated and flying abroad, how would the airline know he had had COVID? Then he could just show his vaccination status.

So maybe you should be clearer in what the situation really is here, and where he is flying and how they enforce this rule or know. Generally, airlines ask for that OR a current negative COVID viral test, that's why I wondered. I also don't understand this as for Canada, for example, you are required to take a COVID test upon entry, even if vaccinated, and you only need that proof thing if you refused to take that test. I think, all the different rules are confusing.

So I think it depends on where you are going, what their rules are and what rules the particular airline has for that proof and why he needs it. For example, these are Southwest Airline's rules on that for people coming into US from abroad, and only apply IF you won't do a viral test that comes up negative -- If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 07:51 AM

I'm confused. Is he flying domestically or internationally. I thought they didn't ask for anything to fly domestically (stupid, I wish they did). So I assume he is trying to fly to the UK or Europe or somewhere, but that's not clear from the question.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isabel
I'm confused. Is he flying domestically or internationally. I thought they didn't ask for anything to fly domestically (stupid, I wish they did). So I assume he is trying to fly to the UK or Europe or somewhere, but that's not clear from the question.
Sorry he is flying back to Ireland on 30th. They can’t make him stay but if he doesn’t he doesn’t get the document that states he has isolated.
we won’t need this document if he is neg as we just upload his test result.
im thinking ahead if it’s not neg he can still test positive for 90 days. But if we get a recovery certificate he can fly, we’re just trying to find our where he gets this as the quarantine hotel don’t provide that.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 10:53 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Julie -

I'm a bit confused about who made him go into quarantine and who he's been dealing with thus far.

Regardless, I suggest you take a look at this website and perhaps contact one of the numbers listed.

https://nvhealthresponse.nv.gov/travel-visitors/

Good luck, and please report back to let us know how it goes.

Edit: Or try calling this number:

Nevada Department of Health and Human Services: 1-800-401-0946

Last edited by Melnq8; Dec 23rd, 2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 01:59 PM

I'm also confused and have the same questions as Melnq8? I'd request to be tested daily, especially if he's asymptomatic.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wtm003
I'm also confused and have the same questions as Melnq8? I'd request to be tested daily, especially if he's asymptomatic.
apparently they are being someone in tomorrow to test .
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
  • CDC: If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
At the nearest urgent care, he could get a note from a doctor saying that he is recovered. But said doctor might require a negative test and that all could get expensive if his travel insurance does not cover urgent care visits. As for the "public health official"... maybe whoever directed him to the "quarantine hotel" would have information on just who that is and how to get a note from them.
Worksite Labs at The Orleans Hotel has $90 travel testing with results in 24 hours. So if he can find a late
evening flight out of Las Vegas, he could test the morning before, then hopefully have the results in time for his departure which would be approximately 36 hours after testing.

Now for the really bad news......U.S. Airlines have started cancelling flights left and right because of so many employees/pilots testing positive this week.
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
  • CDC: If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
At the nearest urgent care, he could get a note from a doctor saying that he is recovered. But said doctor might require a negative test and that all could get expensive if his travel insurance does not cover urgent care visits. As for the "public health official"... maybe whoever directed him to the "quarantine hotel" would have information on just who that is and how to get a note from them.
Worksite Labs at The Orleans Hotel has $90 travel testing with results in 24 hours. So if he can find a late
evening flight out of Las Vegas, he could test the morning before, then hopefully have the results in time for his departure which would be approximately 36 hours after testing.

Now for the really bad news......U.S. Airlines have started cancelling flights left and right because of so many employees/pilots testing positive this week.
Thank you Clarke I will look into these
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 01:09 PM

Possibly the Irish embassy could help? https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/about-us.
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 01:28 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/27/healt...ion/index.html

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday shortened the recommended times that people should isolate when they've tested positive for Covid-19 from 10 days to five days if they don't have symptoms -- and if they wear a mask around others for at least five more days."
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by julieharris13
apparently they are being someone in tomorrow to test .
I hope your son is well.
Where, exactly, is/was his quarantine location?
How did Caesars find out about his positive test?
Was he actually staying at Caesars Palace or was it a different Caesars Ent. location?

I think it is safe to say that he already has more and better info than you can find here. He did find a test site - the one where he got the positive test.