Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Terrible time to ask--have to change honeymoon plans to a driving desination in FL or GA THIS WEEKEND. PLease help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/terrible-time-to-ask-have-to-change-honeymoon-plans-to-a-driving-desination-in-fl-or-ga-this-weekend-please-help-188455/)

Jamie Sep 11th, 2001 07:37 PM

Terrible time to ask--have to change honeymoon plans to a driving desination in FL or GA THIS WEEKEND. PLease help.

My heart goes out to NY and DC. I know in the scheme of things my honeymoon is insignigicant, however, we are getting married in 4 DAYS and feel we must change our plans to avoid flying this weekend. The airlines gave us a full refund and so did the hotel. A friend suggested I ask here for suggestions for a luxurious honeymoon destination in FL or GA--we live in central FL and can drive to either. We can't postpone the honeymoon due to vacation time resrictions. I would so appreciate your help.

Polly Sep 11th, 2001 08:10 PM

The Cloister at Sea Island, Ga. just off the coast of Brunswick: <BR>http://www.seaisland.com/seaisland/home.asp

fran Sep 11th, 2001 10:07 PM

How about the Breakers in Palm Beach Florida?

tannya Sep 12th, 2001 03:48 AM

Savannah was just wonderful. The Foley House is very upscale, just beautiful. Great restaurants in Savannah include The Olde Pink House, Sapphire Grill, Elizabeths on 37th. <BR>There is a lot to do in Savannah just in the Historic District. So much to see. Also Vanilla Day Spa is great if you want to pamper yourself. <BR>I'm sorry your plans had to be changed. So many will be suffering for so long. <BR>Tannya

tannya Sep 12th, 2001 03:52 AM

Just thought of another great place. South Seas Plantation in Captiva Florida. I've stayed there many times. Golf course, right on the beach, tennis, jet skies, parasailing, etc. It is a very tropical type resort. I love it there. They have honeymoon packages too. They have a website, not sure what it is. Google. com would have it. <BR>Another tropical, but secluded, place is Yuseppa Island. Also in south Florida. Again, google.com would have info. I loved it too but it is very secluded. Get to it by boat and then you are just there. A wonderful old house is the upscale restaurant. I think jackets are required for dinner. Very nice. <BR>Tannya

Jamie Sep 12th, 2001 04:23 AM

Gee, I didn't know if I would get any help because this is such a bad time in our country. I really, really appreciate your help. I will be working on this off and on all day so please keep the suggestions coming if you can. All the places we have called have been real nice and very helpful and understanding.

njs Sep 12th, 2001 05:27 AM

Little Palm Island in the Keys is incredible-certainly pricey, but a great spot for a honeymoon. Great accomodations(private thatched roof huts), amazing food, and a great staff.Check out littlepalmisland.com for info. Perfect place to put all this ugliness aside for a few days while you make memories for one of the best times of your life!!

Sal Sep 12th, 2001 11:16 AM

Jamie, <BR> <BR>The Cloisters is a wonderful place to relax--you'll need to after such a hectic week! They have spa packages for couples, great golf/tennis and the accommodations are first class. Good luck.

Carol Sep 12th, 2001 11:22 AM

Have you thought of a very nice french B&B in New Orleans? Also try something in Seabrook Island/Charleston, you would have the option of relaxing on beah and visiting some great old plantation type historical homes as well.

Mickey Sep 12th, 2001 11:25 AM

There is always WDW which is reopened today. There are plenty of great adult activities here both relaxing (spa at Grand floridian or disney institute) romantic (nice restaurants and fireworks) as well as golf and the parks too. Rates are unusally low right now!

Arabella Sep 12th, 2001 11:57 AM

Charleston is very romantic. I honeymooned there a million years ago. Great restaurants, beautiful scenery, interesting day trips. <BR> <BR>Very best of wishes to you and your groom.

x Sep 12th, 2001 12:34 PM

Here's a vote for Seaside, Florida, on the Panhandle. September and May are the best there. <BR> <BR>If you aren't familiar with Seaside, go to seasidefl.com and do a search on this site. Fodorites either love it or hate it; we love it.

Polly Sep 13th, 2001 10:21 AM

Please, when you return from your honeymoon, post a reply here to tell us where you went.

Kim Sep 13th, 2001 02:23 PM

I definitely would vote for Little Palm Island, IF you budget allows. <BR>It is very quiet and private. Sooooo romantic. LPI is heavenly. <BR>I think their site is <BR>www.littlepalmisland.com <BR>Hope you have a joyful and peaceful wedding. <BR>I wish you the best.