Amtrak Philly-NYC Question

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak Philly-NYC Question

I'm going to be heading east on business three days after returning from vacation in South Beach. I'll be staying in Bucks County (family time) and taking SEPTA into Philadelphia for a client visit. I will also head into NYC to see colleagues. Does Amtrak run Phillie-NYC out of the 30th Street station into Grand Central? How busy is this on a Monday? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

OK, so it goes into Penn Station, it turns out. But the fares are pretty high considering this is train travel...! Anyone know of cheaper rail service into Manhattan from Bucks County...? Thanks again!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:48 PM

Amtrak operates in PHL's 30th St Station and in NY's PENN station.

You can also take SEPTA to Trenton then transfer to NJT which goes to Penn Station as well, for much cheaper but not quite as comfortable as Amtrak.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM

You could also just drive from Bucks County to Trenton (depending on where you are, Bucks County is right across the Delaware River from Trenton) and hop on a New Jersey Transit train.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Amtrak actually goes from Philadelphia 30th St. to New York Penn Station, and not Grand Central. If you needed to get to Grand Central from Penn Station, just take either the 1, 2, 3, or 9 train uptown to 42nd St. and then take the Shuttle (S train) to Grand Central.

The busiest times should be during the morning 7-9 AM and evening 5-7 PM commutes. If you can get a ticket on a reserved train, you will at least be guaranteed a seat, though not assigned one. The unreserved and reserved train are the same price. The Acela Express and Metroliners however are the more expensive trains.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

The NJT route is sounding like a big winner here. I was trying to inconvenience the Maternal Unit as little as possible, and this looks like the best way. Thanks to both of you!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:57 PM

A cheaper alternative from Bucks COunty is to take the R2 train to Market East Station and transfer to the R7 Trenton. In Trenton transfer to the New Jersey Transit train to Penn Station.

If you have a AAA membership, the roundtrip on Amtrak is about $85.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Check Amtrak's web site for specials; in addition to the usual discounts for AAA etc., they often have offers like 25% off if you use MasterCard, or second person half-price and third person free, etc.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:08 PM

If you are a veteran (served in any US Military, not necessarily time of war) you can ride coach for 50% off if you join an organization called Veterans Advantage. Not good in NE corridor Fri 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-11pm and other blackout dates. See Amtrak's home page for info. BTW, 50% for the Vet only, but 15%off any/all tickets (Vet & family/guests) at all times.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Ditto all of the above about Trenton. Consider how far East or West of Route 95 you are located in Bucks County. If West of 95, i.e., northern Bucks, then consider this option: Take Route 31 N. to Route 202 to Flemington/White House. Absolutely the best of N.J. countryside --- contrary to what one hears about N.J. and about 2X the driving time to Phila. 30th St. but without traffic! Check out N.J. Transit line for White House, Flemington, Bridgewater, etc. This line runs into Summit where you will connect with a direct into Penn Station at a much lower cost --- about $17 off peak excursion or more on peak. With this price you can take family members, park the car for nothing (usually) and they can enjoy the City!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. I have a better idea of how to proceed now. Trenton, here I come...!!