Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   tent camping at bryce and zion in may help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tent-camping-at-bryce-and-zion-in-may-help-589715/)

makismd Feb 9th, 2006 01:54 PM

tent camping at bryce and zion in may help

We are planng a trip from vegas to zion and then bryce. we fly into vegas sunday may 21st and will drive to zion and stay for 3 nights. then we plan to go to bryce for 2-3 nights.

please help with
1. best campsites at zion
2. will the narrows be too cold at the end of may?? special boots or a dry suit needed?
3. best campsites at bryce???
4. how cold can it get daytime and at night at bryce?
5. anything else i should try to see close by?
6. any other advice or input is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!!

PaulRabe Feb 9th, 2006 02:24 PM

> 5. anything else i should try to see close by?

Don't know if this would constitute "nearby," but Cedar Breaks NM has some of the most vivid and vibrant colors in this area, and that's saying a lot.

www.nps.gov/cebr

travelina Feb 9th, 2006 02:42 PM

We did this trip last May same time. We had a WONDERFUL time. I highly recommend taking the 1/2 day horse trip down into Bryce. It was so much fun! We also camped in the tent area of Bryce. It was very peaceful but COLD. One morning it was 27 degrees and we had ice on our tent. Bring a propane heater if you have one. Zion was warmer..cool at night and about 80 during the day. We love their campsites near the Virgin River. I was able to reserve at Bryce but not at Zion. The Narrows are ALWAYS cold. May will still be cold but it is worth it if you bring the appropriate gear.

christy1 Feb 9th, 2006 03:48 PM

Zion's campgrounds are in such a beautiful setting but the campgrounds themselves leave a little to be desired for the tent camper. The Watchman Campground has it's own tent loop, so you don't have to listen to rv generators, but there is little privacy in those sites. South Campground is somewhat wooded but not too much better than an rv park. EXCEPT for: there are a few walk in tent sites, at the end of South campground (the Zion Canyon end-north/east?) and these are great. The parking area is not very far, so you don't have to walk your stuff in too far, but the sites are right on the river and you won't even know there is a big campground adjacent. The sites that are along the river that are not walk-in would be my second choice. The sites are all first come first served so I would get there in the morning, or right at check out, and stake out your spot. Alternately, camp whereever you can the first night, if you get in late, and stake out a great camp spot the next morning. The rv park just outside the entrance has public showers for a few bucks.

The narrow may be just fine in May. I've always done it in old sneakers (didn't want to ruin hiking boots but wanted more toe protection than Tevas). Just wear synthetic, never cotton, clothing. That is the most important part of not getting cold.

It probably will get below freezing at Bryce at night.

utahtea Feb 9th, 2006 10:24 PM

You won't have to listen to generators at Watchman campground in Zion because the campssites have electricity. You can make reservations at Watchman.

South campground in Zion is less civilized than Watchman but you could be subjected to generators here. They don't take reservations at South.

Late May should be fine in Zion but could get cold in Bryce.

Utahtea

Photodog Feb 11th, 2006 08:37 AM

If you want to rent a wetsuit, boots or anything else for a trip in Zion check out www.zionrockguides.com/zrmg/Outfitting.
If you want to see an on going dinosaur dig in St. George, UT check out wwww.sgcity.org/dinotrax/indexmain.php.
Cedar Breaks located near 10,000' may not be open when you plan to arrive check out www.nps.gov/cebr/index.htm
On the drive to Zion you will pass near Valley of Fire State Park (about a hour outside of Vegas) Spectacular rock formations which glow at sunrise and sunset.
If you plan on visiting other national parks or monuments might want to consider getting a National Parks Pass. $50 for calendar year from date of purchase. Good for entrance fees to all national parks & mounments.

makismd Feb 11th, 2006 11:15 AM

thanks for all your input. might be a little too cold for my wife to tent camp at bryce.

BeanMan Feb 23rd, 2006 06:05 PM

Don't ever put a propane heater in a tent unless the tent and heater were designed for use together. You could easily die from Carbon monoxide poisoning.

BeanMan