Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Tennessee Road Trip In March: What Clothing Do We Need?

Tennessee Road Trip In March: What Clothing Do We Need?

Jan 15th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Tennessee Road Trip In March: What Clothing Do We Need?

My husband and I are spending the first two weeks in March driving around Tennessee. The skeleton outline of our route is as follows:

Nashville
Oak Ridge
Great Smokey Mountains
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Battlefield
Some of the Natchez Trace
Corinth, Mississippi as a base for Shiloh National Park
Stones River National Battlefield and Murfreesboro
Back to Nashville

As you can see, we will be outdoors quite a bit, so we will need some warm clothing. Do we need down jackets, and gloves? What do you recommend? Please be as specific as possible. I'm from Los Angeles so I don't own much cold weather clothing.

Thank you.
Jan 16th, 2018, 03:12 AM

Layers, 'cause it might be cool in the morning and 60 by noon. Temp will be quite nice--not cold. You really aren't at any altitude--a little in the Smokies.
Jan 16th, 2018, 06:50 AM

You don't need expensive down jackets or coats. Many people who live in warm climates, go to the thrift store to pick up a few things when going to a cool or cold climate in the early spring. Donate back to the thrift store anything you don't want to keep when you return form the trip.
Jan 16th, 2018, 08:59 AM

"Many people who live in warm climates, go to the thrift store to pick up a few things when going to a cool or cold climate in the early spring. Donate back to the thrift store anything you don't want to keep when you return form the trip."

Instead of thrift store diving and popping tags like Macklemore, go to any store to get a fleece pullover and an underlayer (Target has this stuff for a pittance) and layer up from there.
Jan 16th, 2018, 11:38 AM

A fleece jacket and maybe a vest will be all you'll need. A pair of gloves might come in handy. During the first two week of March, the weather could do anything. 70's would not be unheard of and it could (but not likely) snow. Enjoy. It should be a great trip.
Jan 16th, 2018, 11:40 AM

P.S. You might want to time your visit for the Great Smokey Mountains for during the week. The weekends can be quite crowded, even in early March.
Jan 16th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. It sounds like I will have to take a variety of layers. I have several fleece jackets, so all I need is a jacket to put over it, and some gloves. My husband is from a cold climate, so he came to the marriage with a heavy jacket and gloves, lol. I looked in a Smokey Mountain National Park newsletter, and it said, "March has the most unpredictable weather of any month."

charsuzan - We are indeed visiting the Great Smokey Mountains during the week, so hopefully there will be less people. We are focusing on the Cades Cove area because of the history there, and I have read that it is indeed quite crowded there.
Jan 17th, 2018, 06:02 AM

You probably have plenty of sites, but...

I grew up in Chattanooga; I love Point Park and the Battle of Lookout Mountain site, too--best views of Chattanooga! And to get there, you could use the Incline Railway.

Your itinerary seems to be mostly about history, but consider some extra time in Chattanooga; its freshwater Aquarium is amazing; the downtown area around it is nicely re-done; there's a long riverwalk parkway that even in March will be nice.

The Smokies (Smoky Mountains) are beautiful--and wet--the advice above of layers is perfect, but do take rain gear as a top layer, too. And good shoes for hiking on slippery ground if you plan any walks; the terrain you'll probably be on is not rugged or particularly steep but can be rocky/slick.
Jan 17th, 2018, 07:56 AM

I lived near the Smokies for three years. I agree with the TexasBookWorm, make sure you have rain gear. Jackets with hood and ponchos are perfect. Make sure you have shoes which can be wet. It is indeed rainy there. Attend as many ranger talks as possible, they will add to your enjoyment and understanding of the area. Cades Cove is indeed lovely, but make sure you see other parts. If you are going to visit multiple National Parks, consider buying a yearly pass. It can add up to a savings. Enjoy your trip!
Jan 17th, 2018, 11:04 AM

Cades Cove is great. Agree about Chattanooga too.
Jan 19th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I just researched the Chattanooga Riverwalk, and it sounds really nice. My itinerary needs more variety, so it will be a good change of pace. Thanks again.
Jan 20th, 2018, 03:11 AM

Lived in Memphis, not far from Shiloh, for a number of years. Should be pleasant but probably some rain.

Search this Thread