Tennessee and/or Georgia Plantations

Old May 27th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Donna

Tennessee and/or Georgia Plantations

Does anyone know of any plantations that are open to the public along I24 in Tennessee or along I75 in Georgia?

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Help

Anyone?

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:40 PM
d.reuff

You can visit the Swan House in Atlanta off I-75 in Buckhead. It is part of a complex called the Atlanta History Museum. Although you can't visit them, In the same neighborhood are streets like Peachtree Battle and Tuxedo Drive. Many of these homes are antibellum(pre-civil war)homes, and are georgous and go for millions of dollars.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Kelly

In Feb of this year the Swan House in Atlanta was devoid of furnishings as they were redecorating. However next door in the Atlanta Historical building was a remarkable Civil War exhibit. It chronicles, year by year, the happenings and goals of north and south and what really happened. I thought it as very interesting and worth a trip to the Buckhead area.
The only plantation I have been to other than around New Orleans is in Georgia. However it is near the town of Thomasville. Which is about 1/2 way between Valdosta (I 75) and Bainbridge. Thomasville is on highway 19,which you can travel north ro Albany and get back on I 75 For the life of me I cannot remmber the name of the plantation. (Iwill look it up in my journals and repost the name) Quite large main house with lots of out buildings, conducted tours or you can just stroll around.
I really enjoyed the tour. I did hear that you could have dinner or tea in main house
a but don't know the details,,,
Hope this helps...

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Serena

While not a planation , The Hay House in Macon, Georgia is a home you would certainly enjoy seeing. It is an Italian Styled home built before the Civil War and it has a secret room used to hide money during the war. It is rich with history. The Cannonball House is also in Macon and it has a Civil War history also. Both homes are off 75 going south in Macon, Georgia. Madison, Georgia is filled with beautiful Civil War homes and during cetain times of the year, they are open for tour. Sherman spared the homes in Madison, the story goes, because of his affection for a southern belle who lived there.The Hay House and Cannonball Home are open each day. There is a web site for the Hay House. I think it is listed under Georgia Historic Trust. Not too far from Macon on 75 South is Henderson Village, a collection of old homes that have been converted into a resort area. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Kelly

Name of plantation near Thomasville Georgia is Pebble Hill. Web site is www.pebblehill.com

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Donna

Thanks you guys. If anyone else can add, please do.

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Beth

Off of I-24 in Nashville you have the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home as well as Bell Meade plantation. Have been to both and really enjoyed it.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Connie

They aren't plantations but Natchez, Miss. has a huge amount of antebellum homes, some of which are B&B's that you can stay in. They do a tour of homes twice a year.

The area north of New Orleans also has antebellum homes, some of which may be on plantations.