Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ten Thousand Waves (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ten-thousand-waves-725311/)

didi Jul 31st, 2007 01:16 PM

Ten Thousand Waves

I'd love to hear what you guys suggest as far as which spa treatment to get at Ten Thousand Waves. My husband and I are going to SF in October and I would love to book a massage or a facial while there but can't decide which one. They all look amazing!

Has anyone gotten a treatment recently that they just absolutely loved? :)

maryanntex Jul 31st, 2007 01:25 PM

The one I got there that I hated was the herbal wrap. Oh my gosh, I felt so claustrophobic that I didn't think I was going to survive. I couldn't believe that I was paying for that agony. I was with three long-time friends and the only reason I didn't jump off the table right then was because I didn't want them to talk about me! They didn't like the herbal wrap, either, but didn't react as strongly as I did. (Obviously, I must be in the minority, or 10,000 Waves wouldn't have that treatment.) I really liked the salt scrub, and the shared hot tub beforehand was great.

BeachGirl247 Jul 31st, 2007 02:32 PM

didi, you will love TTW!!

Of the two, I would definitely take the massage. We've had regular massages, master's massage and our all-time favorite is Hot Stone Massage. So relaxing and you will feel like jell-o when you leave.

A friend of ours swears the 4 Hands/One Heart is the best thing ever. I've yet to try it out. If you are modest, that one is not for you.

I do recommend taking a private hot tub before to relax your muscles. A communal tub is available at no charge as is a sauna. Tubs run around $55 for two, I believe. You can check out the website for all of the treatments and prices. You may also like a salt scrub following your massage. It really is invigorating and exfoliates all that dead, dry skin. Yummy!

Another thing, its <i>never</i> too early to book your treatment. October is a popular time and spaces book up quickly. We enjoy the early evening so we can wind down with the tub/massage and go back to our rental and enjoy a relaxing evening. Otherwise, if you want to go back out afterwards, they do have showers and hair dryers for you to put yourself back together.

www.tenthousandwaves.com

Hope that helps a little. I think you will love it!

(maryanntex -- I didn't care too much for that one either! )

didi Aug 1st, 2007 03:46 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm so excited, I can't wait to go! I was thinking the hot stone massage also. Thanks for letting me know about the private hot tub, that sounds wonderful.
I'm hoping to book an early evening appointment.

maryanntex - I appreciate your warning about the herbal wrap. They can make you feel a bit claustrophobic and I think I'd rather spend the $$$ on a relaxing massage! :)

silviab Aug 1st, 2007 05:01 AM

Take the massage and then just soak in one of their outdoor pools. Zen Heaven.

DebitNM Aug 1st, 2007 12:39 PM

Pick the the outdoor pool carefully, some are clothing optional and are coed.

Last time we were there, we reserved a private hot tub and then a couples message and it was great.
Debi

didi Aug 2nd, 2007 04:32 AM

OOOHH, that sounds wonderful! I'll have to see if they have a couple's massage available!!

BeachGirl247 Aug 2nd, 2007 05:43 AM

There is one coed hot tub and a women's hot tub. Both are clothing optional. The coed tub is bathing suit required after 8:15pm.

If you book a private tub, its yours only for 50 minutes. So, don't worry if you want to go sans swimsuit! They only have 7 so they do go quickly. Highly recommend it before your hot stone massage to prepare you . Its fabulous!

lisettemac Aug 2nd, 2007 06:42 AM

I agree about the herbal wrap -- not my cup of tea. The massage I had there was great, although the room isn't totally private. I also enjoyed the private hot tub (and cold plunge).

One bit of warning -- they suggested I sit in the sauna before the herbal wrap to &quot;warm up.&quot; It was the one right by the lobby. I went in and it was all women, so I disrobed. Imagine my surprise when a man walked in and I learned it was coed!!

didi Aug 2nd, 2007 07:31 AM

OH NO!!!! Was anyone else without their towels or just you?

lisettemac Aug 2nd, 2007 11:28 AM

Nope, just me. Very embarrassing.

didi Aug 2nd, 2007 12:35 PM

Well, I'm glad you warned me. That's something that would happen to me!