Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Telluride/Whistler/or ?Ski trip advice sought.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 03:34 PM
Glenn

Greetings!
Six advanced to expert skiiers from the east coast are looking for another beautiful place to ski this winter. Last year took us to Snowmass/Aspen. Any recommendations for great snow, beautiful mountains and close to the slopes condos? (ski-in/out)

Glenn

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 03:49 PM
Monica Richards

I went to Whistler two years ago and loved it. The mountain is great, and there are a lot of great restaurants in Whistler Village and the service everywhere was fantastic. We stayed at the Wildwood condos which due to an untimely plowing of a sidewalk weren't ski in, ski out (but should have been). Whistler has a website where you can book any of their properties.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 06:42 PM
sheri

Oooh, tough choice! I love Whistler and living in Seattle, that's where I go most often now, but I used to ski at Telluride almost every winter and I'd go back there in a heartbeat over Whistler if it weren't so hard for me to get to...Whistler is tons of fun, but it's pretty built up and commercialized. Also, the snow can be wet and heavy, and fog/white-outs are not uncommon. Telluride, while it's certainly not the small undiscovered place it once was, just has a special feeling to it, IMO. Plus the Colorado powder and sunshine (esp. if you go in March) are amazing, and it has expert terrain up the wazoo.

A couple other possibilities to consider are Alta (amazing powder, no lift lines, no snowboarders) and Jackson Hole--I've never skied there but my fanatic expert skier friends rave about it.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 06:54 AM
real skier

How can you claim to be "expert" yet not know where the best skiing is?

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 07:14 AM
elizabeth

Hi ==> I live in Colorado and have skied the slopes a bit and Northern N.M., Utah, and Wyoming. I worked at Santa Fe Ski Area for a number of years and have 31 years of skiing under my belt.

I've always wanted to go to Whistler/BlackComb but haven't come up with the $$ yet. It's been rated very high and the terrain looks nice.

Now ==> saying you're an expert skier doesn't tell me what terrain you like to ski. You could be an expert on the bumps but not the chutes. Or enjoy steep open runs but not extreme skiing. I must say that at any of the places mentioned there are hidden chute runs that only the locals would know about that are not out of bounds and not on the map. Those are sometimes the BEST. If there is a lot of snow I'm partial to Taos N.M. There isn't a nite life, but steep nice runs that will burn anybodies legs. And enough variety. Look for locals to show you the hidden secrets and be prepared to hike to some of the runs. For Taos to be good, there has got to be snow. Iffy at times for Northern N.M. I pass on Jackson Hole and Utah is o.k. They are both o.k. for skiing BUT.... just didn't find the slopes I was looking for. Telluride is a mini Taos to me. The front face (town side) has got good steep/chute runs. They too need a lot of snow. Anyplace in town would be good to stay (Telluride). It's not that big of an area. Groceries suck. But there is the tram that can take you to the other side of the mountain. Again, I don't think there is much for nite life here.

Another place to consider, that I like, that is close to the front range is Copper. The upper mountain is nice.

These suggests/comments are based on me enjoying steep/chutes - not too many bumps and always snow when it's there.

Good luck.....

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Maxine

I have been to both. Whistler has a European ambience to it, nice restaurants and lots of night life. The only drawback is the weather can be somewhat iffy. It tends to rain sometimes. There are 2 mountains you can ski, Whistler and Blackcomb. Blackcomb has glacier skiing if you are into that, There is plenty of expert trails also. The service at Whistler is second to none. Telluride will probably have better snow. I think it's probably a little easier to get to Whistler than Telluride as far as flights go. Both are great places. Just depends on what you like.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Melinda

Living in Seattle, Whistler is easy for us. The weather is the problem with recommending it. The fog can ruin the day easily. I LOVE Telluride for it's sun and the fact that it is in a box canyon. Problem of getting there makes the lift lines non-existent. I love having very few people around. Night life can be found in a few spots but it is not a party town. Crested Butte would be another suggestions. Great town with wonderful restaurants and lots of challenging skiing. We were there 5 winters and loved it.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Paul

I live in Delaware and just skied Whistler/Blackcomb in April for 3 days. It was the 3rd time I've been there and It has always been my fav. I had good weather on 2 out of the 3 days I skied. Even in April they had a 145" base mid-mountain. There is so much terrain there that you can always find untracked steeps in the mornings after it snows. Lots of real expert terrain. I skied both Killington and Okemo in Vermont this year and their terrain isn't as difficult as Whistler's. (Unless you are counting icy moguls). Whistler has so much vertical that your thighs will burn no matter what runs you ski. I haven't skied Telluride yet but will this next winter as I'm moving to Albuquerque. The only western skiing I have to compare is Heavenly (great), Squaw Valley (good), Bear Valley, CA (OK) Winter Park (good), and Alpine Meadows (good). Good luck.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 07:28 PM
kalena

Hi Glen.
We love Whistler, and have snowboarded there twice. Whistler has a longer season, and far more snow than Colorado. Because of the "pinapple" trades (that originate here in Hawaii) there is both more snow and days that are fogged in, as you know. For us west-west coasters, Whistler is easy to get to with direct Honolulu-Vancouver flights. And as you know, with the favorable exchange rate, Americans come out quite well.

Whistler has a great web site,
but I can't seem to find my bookmark...

A little anecdote. When we were there last March, Prince Charles and Princes William and Harry flew in for the opening ceremonies at a major museum in Vancouver. Of course, the international press flocked to the village, even though the Royals had asked for privacy in Whistler, as this was to be a quiet family holiday after their official function in Vancouver. Fortunately for the Royals, the day they chose to go on the slopes the fog really rolled in. Due to the thick fog, they managed to elude the droves of paparazzi skiers, who combed the slopes with huge video cameras on their shoulders, frustrated by the conditions. It was quite a scene. At the end of the day, the Royals issued a press release commenting on what a great day on the slopes they'd had, and how they appreciated having been left alone. We never saw the Royals, but we saw dozens of paparazzi.

Oh yes...for moderate and delicious fare, try the Caramba Restaurant...we loved their grilled calamari and wood-oven pizzas. We are looking forward to going again this winter, and are brazing for what will be a much colder experience. Brrr for us unnaclimated types ;_)
Aloha,
k

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 02:55 PM
jeff

1. I always wanted to go to Whistler. It is a hike from NY. Many of my friends have gone and rave about it in a way they do not rave as much about other mountains in the West.

2. Real Skier's obnoxious response reminds me of the obnoxious emails my boss sends to his employees. Hard to take on a holiday weekend.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 03:06 PM
gb

I vote for Telluride. You can not beat Colorado weather in February and March.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 07:50 AM
mary

I did not like Telluride too much (but I'm far from being an expert), neither the town or the runs. If you like tough runs though (which you said you do) Telluride may be for you. Breckinridge is where it's at!! It's got something for everyone.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 12:40 PM
John

Hi Glen:

A man after my own heart! Talking skiing in July!! I have been to many great places, and Whistler was one of them. We rented a home on the slopes and had a great time. Tremendous variety of terrain/slopes. Each mountain (Whistler or Blackcomb) would be as large as Vail.

Good points:
1. Skiing variety
2. Accomodations/Pedestrian zone
3.Drive up from Vancouver (sea to sky hwy)
4. Nightlife/resturants
Bad points:
1. Unpredictable weather
2. Heavy Japanese concentration
3. Young crowd (wait, that could be a good point!!)

JOHN

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 08:25 AM
skiier

For some info. that might be of interest to you on the Whistler, check out http://www.frommers.com/newletters/today/article1.html

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 11:58 AM
kalena

Found the bookmark. It's
http://whistler-blackcomb.com/