Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Telluride, Colorado Shopping & Restaurants: Are there ways to cuts costs?

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -- we're a family of 4 with 2 teenage girls and we're heading for Telluride the first part of June. We're going mainly to soak up the scenery and do some small time hiking.

So, I've been looking at the restaurants in Telluride and it looks like we can plan on spending a fortune just to keep our tummies fed, so we've decided to pick up most of our food in Montrose, Co, since our accommodations allow for this. Then, allow ourselves to enjoy a few nice dinners out, as well as a few lunches. Do any of you have experience with ways to get additional savings in Telluride restaurants? I'd love input on that! Who knows, maybe I'll end up bringing less food, and be a patron more often!

Next Query: We'd like to buy a few Telluride t-shirts and hoodies at a decent price, say $30 for hoodies and $20 for t-shirts, absolute top price for quality items, not high end name brands. Is this going to be possible in Telluride? It seems that everything is high end, and I'm just not made of cash.

I'd love any input that anyone can offer, and thank you! =)

TamE
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Try Shirtworks of Telluride, on Main street for the prices you mention:
http://www.shirtworksinc.net/T-Shirts.html
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM

There are places to eat in Telluride that won't totally kill your budget.

If you have breakfast in, then pack lunches when you hike, it will really help with $$.

I have a number of threads on here about places to eat in Telluride and a few spots in Mountain Village; I will find them for you.

Be back in a bit.
Deb

Deb
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM

I am local and can recommend the following --

For the meals with teens a better choice in town:

Baked in Telluride has great pizza and baked goods, and is terrific for all 3 meals. 127 South Fir Street 970-728-4775

Poachers Pub lots of typical pub food,Blue Mesa Building 970-728-9647

La Cocina de Luz, mexican, 123 East Colorado Ave., 970-728-9355.

Fat Alley, for BBQ Fat Alley, 128 South Oak St., 970-728-3985.

Shanghai Palace, for chinese, 126 East Colorado Ave., 970-728-0882.

Smuggler’s Brewpub & Grille - pub food,
225 South Pine St., 970-728-0919.

The Sweet Life, burgers, malts, ice cream, 115 West Colorado Ave.,
970-728-8789

Merle’s Brown Bag, salads & sandwiches,
120 West Colorado Ave., 970-728-5556.

Maggie’s Bakery & Cafe, breakfast & lunch, 217 East Colorado Ave., 970-728-3334.

Floradora Saloon,103 West Colorado Ave., 970-728-8884

I've eaten at all of these and think you and your teens will like them.

for grown up dinners:

Cosmopolitan [at the base of the gondola in town] 300 W San Juan Ave 970-728-1292

Allreds [at the mid point of the godola]

New Sheridan Chop House 233 W Colorado Ave 970-728-9100

Honga's Lotus Petal 138 E Colorado Ave 970-728-5134

La Marmotte 150 W San Juan Ave 970-728-6232

Here are 2 threads on chowhound that will help you

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/391337

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/547569

From one of the threads, some info on shopping in Montrose:
"If you are flying into Montrose, which many people do, try to stop there at least for some staples. Montrose has both a City Market (part of the King Soopers/Kroger family) and a Safeway. The airport is north of town, and you have to drive south through town, so a shopping stop isn't really a detour."

There are 2 markets locally, that have wonderful food [at a price]. Clarks is just as you are coming into Telluride[on the right side of the road] and there is also one in Mountain Village by the gondola. The Market in MV has excellent food, ready made food and is worth a visit, if only to ride the gondola to shop!

Go to Baked in Telluride for great baked goodies, bread, bagels etc.

Hope this helps.
Deb
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Re: Restaurant bargains.
Most Colorado mountain resort towns have free local magazines/flyers/guide books that often contain coupons for restaurant deals ranging from a free drink or appetizer, to buy-one-get-one half off. Look for them in the lobbies of hotels, information centers, and local chamber of commerce offices.

If you find yourself "down-mountain" in the little town of Placerville, the Blue Jay Cafe is an affordable place for good breakfasts.

Re: T-shirts & Hoodies
Check out the City Market or Safeway grocery store in Montrose. Sometimes these chains will carry such merchandise of comparable quality for a lot cheaper than you would find at the local t-shirt shop in Telluride. You may also find shirts & hoodies at the 2 local markets in Telluride mentioned by Deb.

Pick up any liquor, wine, or beer in Montrose also. The price of these items increases as you gain in altitude. If you forget the booze in Montrose, you can stop at High Spirits Liquor in Ridgeway (144 N. Hwy 550). Tell the owner (if she's there) that her brother in Denver says Hi...and he knows he should call more, but hey, he gets busy and this happens and that happens and......
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Oh Goodness! I was waiting for an email to pop up telling me someone had responded to my query! I am so sorry for not paying closer attention!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to address my questions! I really appreciate your input! On two occasions I've tried to get info from the various travel companies, and still have not received a thing. They seem pretty tight with info on Telluride, so I've really been looking forward to this information!

PeaceOut- Thank you for the website to Shirtworks of Telluride. I will check that out and definitely stop in while in Telluride! The t-shirts and hoodies are essential to a family vacation!

Deb- Thank you for compiling such a thorough list of local restaurants great for teens/families.

I do have a few questions, if you don't mind. Anyone else can feel free to chime in as well.

- We've been thinking about visiting Cosmopolitan for the evening special time (be seated between 5 & 6 and get select entrees for $19). Have you ever noticed the service varying when ordering the special?

- Would the girls (14 & 15 yrs) enjoy the experience there? Or is this a place where patrons are kind of expecting adults to be dining among them?

- What is the usual attire for Cosmopolitan? I read diamonds and fur someplace. Was that maybe just a one night deal, or is it really that way? We're not looking for that scene.

I really enjoyed the Chow Hound threads. Hadn't heard of that site and found the extra info helpful. It's interesting reading the different points of view of various travelers. Service is a big deal to me, too, and I'm learning that I'm not the only one whose food tastes different when delivered with poor service. Eeeks! Not in Telluride, right?

We're definitely stopping at Montrose for groceries since we're driving through there anyway. I already have on my list Safeway and Walmart for this task. I noticed you didn't mention Walmart -- should I steer clear? In Telluride, I think we'll visit Clarks for the remaining shopping list. (and a t-shirt/hoodie run).

furledleader - Thanks for covering the "bargains" part of my question! I'll look for those magazine deals as we roll into town! Of course, by then we've bought our groceries, so we'll see how much food we carry out of there.

- Any ideas on where to stop for great priced Telluride t-shirts/hoodies in Montrose? We'll have time to stop if you have a store name or two.

Hilarious! If we have time, we'll stop in Ridgeway just to pass this message onto your sister. Hopefully she'll be working -- no sister should have wait to hear "Hello" from her brother!!! Too funny!

Ok, the trip to Telluride is coming to life. Thanks to all of you for your fantastic input! Super awesome details here!

TamE
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:56 AM

Nothing wrong with a WalMart grocery...if they have one in Montrose. It's possible, but I'm not 100% positive.

Like I stated previously, the grocery stores in Montrose MAY (with heavy emphasis on the "MAY") have Telluride t-shirts and hoodies. They also may not. I'm just saying that as long as your in the store you should look around for them....you may get lucky.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you furledleader!