Tell us: Siesta Key or Sanibel in December?

Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell us: Siesta Key or Sanibel in December?

We have three days to spend before hooking up with family for the holidays - should we fly into Orlando and do Sanibel or fly into Tampa and do Siesta Key? We are visiting family in Tampa and Melbourne this trip as well.

We don't love traffic - we love beaches, great food, ocean swimming, pool swimming and light shopping. We'd love a hotel on the beach. Are there even any hotels on the beach on Siesta Key?

We've read about horrible traffic in both areas - does anyone know what to expect in December? Which would you gambe for better weather in December?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 02:49 AM

A few things. Maybe others will add more.

Weather is likely to be pretty much the same -- good, with nice warm water. Cool weather is possible, just not very likely.

Sanibel is less built up, Siesta is closer to more stuff.

You will not quite be in season, so traffic should not be horrible. Actually, traffic on Sanibel is not bad. It is getting on and off that can be a problem.

If you don't find a place on Siesta Key for such a brief period, there is a Holiday Inn, yes, I know, right across the street from the beach on Lido Key, just north of Siesta Key. It has a fabulous view and is an easy walk from the many restaurants in St Armand's Circle.

I don't see why you would fly into Orlando for a trip to Sanibel. The trip is half as long from Tampa.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM

Tampa Airport is still closer to Sanibel as well. I agree with most of what Ackislander wrote but it may not be warm enough for ocean swimming in Dec (really depends on where you are coming from). I never even got in my parents pool last XMas due to the cool weather (they are 1/2 way between Sanibel and Siesta Key)
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM
LN

I think I'd agree with Ackislander and vote for Lido Key. Since you have only three days at the beach a hotel might be better suited as many of the islands (Siesta, Longboat, Anna Maria) prefer weekly rentals. Another true plus for a few days on Lido is St Armands Circle. It definitely is a great place for window shopping, great restaurants and a unique place for a couple hours.

Last winter season (Dec thru March) was actually pretty chilly the entire season. It is not normally cool during December and most hotel/condos have heated pools.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information! We found a hotel called the Helmsley Sandcastle which got good reviews (except for one or two disgruntled guests). It seems to be more on Lido Key and we wondered how much of a hassle it is to get back to the main area and then go onto Siesta key?

Anyone have any thoughts on hte Helmsley Sandcastle?