Search

Tell the Travel Channel what you think of their programming

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:44 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell the Travel Channel what you think of their programming

We have had many threads about the Travel Channel and the garbage they broadcast these days. I would like to suggest that the Fodorites unite and e-mail Discovery, the owner of the Travel Channel. Maybe they will broadcast more travel shows if enough people complain. It's worth a shot. Here's the contact info:

http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:49 AM

We just started getting the Travel Channel and I loved the three shows I watched. The Colorado: River of Wonders was one of them and it was excellent.

Utahtea
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM
P_M
Original Poster

I'm not talking about shows like that, in fact, that's what I hope to see more of. On the other threads we have all complained about the endless poker games and stuff like "Best bathrooms in Las Vegas." It was only a suggestion, as many Fodorites feel the same way I do. But if you are happy with what you are seeing, that's great. I only want them to get rid of the non-travel related stuff.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:16 AM

It seems likely they wouldn't spend time showing shows that no one would watch, so probably the "Bathrooms of Las Vegas" is more of a draw then the "Cobbled Roads of Provence"
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:22 AM
P_M
Original Poster

You'd think so, MikeT, but I'm hardly of a minority opinion, at least on this board. Check out this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...travel+channel
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:38 AM

TO PM:

Thank you for the information. I have sent a message to the Travel Channel regarding their programming. Which incidently I do think has gone downhill. I said that with summer coming up, they should be doing features on great family vacations. And not just shows on Vegas, poker, and bathrooms....etc...you all know the rest...

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Good Idea -

Here's what I sent them:

"Got to tell you, Your programming on the Travel Channel pretty much stinks. Used to like it a lot more (and watch it more often) when it was really about travel instead of an endless stream of poker and other Vegas promotions. And then there's the beach programs - where every other shot is on the rear-end of bikini clad babe. What does that have to do with travel? If I want to watch that I'll just subscribe to the Playboy channel. I want to see & hear about the places you travel to - not some blond bimbos' rear-end. Why don't you just change the networks' name to the "Sex and Gambling Channel". Travel Channel has become a joke. Read the travel boards out on the web. Almost no one has anything good to say about this Network. The only way to see anything good about travel is to watch Discovery HD - until you folks get around to ruining that too."

Ken
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:04 AM
P_M
Original Poster

HA!! Very well put, Lord Balfor. Thanks to you also, tinathetoad.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
GoTravel

The Travel Channel sucks so bad they are tripping on their own feet.

How you ask?

The Travel Channel is doing a special on an African Safari. Doesn't that sound wonderful? Doesn't it sound like something you'd like to see?

NO!

Because it's a SECOND HONEYMOON for those TWO IDIOTS Trista & Ryan Sutter.

Talk about screwing up a good idea....

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:25 AM

I agree with the stupid show on teh Sutters, Ryan and Tirista. Like who really gievs a frog's fat A$$.

Anyway I did send a note to the travel channel. this is what they sent me back.

Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We appreciate you taking the
time to share your thoughts and concerns with us. Your comments will be
forwarded to our program management and executives and will be taken into
consideration. Comments such as yours are very important to us, as viewer
opinions tell us what we can improve on and what our audience enjoys. It
is these types of comments that contribute to creating change and improving
programming.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I guess it just goes to show you how out of touch with "mainstream" TV I really because I don't even know who the heck these Trista and Ryan are. It's like those Simpson girls. Where the heck did they come from? One minute I never heard of them, next minute it seems they're everywhere. I take it they're singers (except when it's live) but I don't know, have I ever heard of any of their songs? Not that I know of. I can't help but think that all these people are "manufactured" celebrates. Famous for nothing but being famous.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood. Mostly though I guess it's because we just don't really watch network TV anymore. it just too much trash. We used to like "Smallville", but not so much anymore. We like "Medium" and we really like "Lost" (you can see we're sort of Sci-Fi buffs) but 90% of the time we watch HGTV or movies on DVD (have Netflicks).

Once and while we'll watch "Fine Living" or (very, very rarely) the "Travel Channel". I like the "History Channel" but my wife doesn't (I guess it's a "guy thing" since it's often about WW II (a subject I'm much interested in)) so we don't watch it all that much either.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Ken
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Tinathtoad -

Yeah, same form letter they sent to me. I'm not holding my breath about any changes anytime soon.

Ken
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:43 AM
P_M
Original Poster

I'm not holding my breath either, I am only hoping that someone there cares enough to pass on our comments....
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:52 AM

I figured it was a form letter, but I thought that I woudl share it anyway.

As for the one poster...you are not missing much, Ryan and Trista are from the Bachelorette. She was the bachelorette and he was the prize...They got married in some 1.5 million wedding and it was on tv...She is a pain...much like Kelly Ripa is a pain, and he is a bore...
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Hasn't this dead horse been revived and kicked 10 times already.

Televisions and remoted have channel change buttons and power buttons. Unless yours only shows Travel Channel, you do have options.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM

MikeT -

Of course, you are right. You can always change the channel or just turn it off. But the point is that there is really a distinct lack of quality travel programming on TV. It's easy enough to turn away from crap, but it's a lot harder to find something worthwhile to watch. PBS has a few good shows as does Discovery HD - and even the Travel Channel has a good show on once and a while. It seems to me though that people (at least many of those on this board) hunger for a lot more than what is out there.

It's not just that they hate the Travel Channel - but rather that they want MORE good travel programming and can't seem to find it (at least not enough of it). The Travel Channel just comes in for special scorn because travel is supposed to be their speciality. If they were called the "Vegas Channel" no one would harp on them.

Ken
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:23 AM
GoTravel

MikeT, unfortunately the Travel Channel has been advertising that STUPID second honeymoon show on other channels. Ugh.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Trista & Ryan probably have an arrangement where they got married, milk it for all its worth, get divorced and split the money. Every bachelor and bachelorette (except them) have broken it off. The latest Meredith and Ian who were on the talk show circuit.

Has anyone ever seen Samantha Brown jump into bath tubs in her shoes and gush on and on? She is a too darn chirpy IMO.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM

ty buckeyemon--I was trying to remember that simpering bimbette's name Samantha Brown--who the hell can stand to even watch/listen to her crap!

She's a mess and so is the program
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM

I was just ruminating the other morning while I was actually listening to her (Samantha Brown)--I was too busy rushing to work to change the channel drone on--she gets PAID for this! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -