Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tell me we're not crazy!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tell-me-were-not-crazy-325799/)

JulieR Jun 9th, 2003 07:16 PM

Tell me we're not crazy!!

We have booked 5 nights at the Marriott Beach and Golf Resort on Hilton Head last week of July,got a great deal at $69.oo per night. Now the big question is will we die with the heat and humidity? I knew that the weather is like that at that time of the year,and told my husband also,but neither of us have been to HH so we decided to book this trip. Now my husband is having second thoughts about going,thinks we should cancel(we would loose 200.00 on airfare)if we do.He is hearing these reports from other people that live there,about the heat and 98% humidity,gnats and also mosquitoes. What would everyone suggest we do??

luv2fly Jun 9th, 2003 07:36 PM

What city are you coming from? If it is NYC or Dallas, then you will be used to the humidity. If it is Tucson, then you are used to the 100 degree temp and the 9% humidity. Remember that you will spend most of the time at the beach / pool...in the water. Everything is air conditioned and the dress code is very casual.

Don't worry yourself sick over the weather...if it rains it rains. C'est la vie!

methinks Jun 9th, 2003 07:37 PM

hmmm, haven't been to Hilton Head either, but if we weren't already heading to Ireland last week in July and I could get the same deal, I'd say make reservations for 4 and we'll have dinner with you one night down there. It sounds like a great deal - take advantage.

JungleCat Jun 9th, 2003 07:53 PM

Early tee times will alleviate the bug problem on the course and maybe help with the humidity. In fact, it sounds nice too me - a round, have lunch, hit the beach or pool and relax for the rest of the day.

djkbooks Jun 9th, 2003 10:16 PM

Here's a plan. Venture out the first day. If you determine that you'll "die of the heat and humidity", you can always hibernate in this very nice hotel for the duration. Enjoy room service and the restaurant/cocktail lounge within with each other. Or, skip over to nearby restaurants/cocktail lounges.

For that rate, you'll, at the very least, have the opportunity to spend time with each other, even if not out and about with the heat, humidity, gnats, bugs, and mosquitoes.

My suggestions would be to spend more time researching your next trip.

dmcmom Jun 10th, 2003 03:54 AM

im from nj and spent the third week of july in hh...the weather is not that bad. yeah its hot...but so what ,you're on vacation. swim, relax, go out to dinner at some fabulous restaurants. the marriott was a great home base for us. we biked and walked all over and the heat or bugs were never a problem. go and enjoy!

rockinrep Jun 10th, 2003 04:25 AM

Yes, it will be hot and humid but you won't die. You'll have a/c, ocean breezes and you're on vacation so you'll have fun!

Thats a GREAT deal, go for it! Or is it a time-share speacial offer, where you must tour the property for that rate?