Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tell me about the Frick Museum. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tell-me-about-the-frick-museum-63912/)

Andrea Feb 28th, 2000 05:57 AM

Tell me about the Frick Museum.

I've heard and/or read about the Frick Museum someplace and am wondering about it. In particular I'm wondering where it's located, cost of admission, hours it's open, and opinions about whether it's worth a stop during our vacation. Anything you can share will be appreciated!!

John Feb 28th, 2000 06:27 AM

Dear Andrea: <BR>Here's the address, <BR> <BR>The Frick Collection <BR>1 East 70th Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenues) <BR>New York, NY 10021-4967 <BR> <BR>Phone: 212-288-0700 <BR>Fax: 212-628-4417 <BR> <BR>You can learn more about the museum at <BR>www.frick.org. Yes, it is worth a visit. <BR>

Neal Sanders Feb 28th, 2000 06:33 AM

Helo, Andrea. The Frick is an amazing museum and worth stop on your vacation for several reasons. First, it has a world-class art collection, much of which is never loaned out. Second, it is housed in one of the last of the Fifth Avenue mansions; it's a trip back in time to see the kind of homes that once lined New York's most fashionable streets. Third, it represents an intact collection of art assembled by one man -- Henry Clay Frick, one of the great robber barons/industrialists of the turn of the century. <BR> <BR>The collection contains few impressionist pieces -- Frick was more interested in Old Masters, so if you're looking for Monets, Van Goghs, etc., you'll find only a few pieces here. But if the idea of seeing two Hans Holbein paintings done just a few years apart -- one of Thomas More and the other of Cromwell -- juxtaposed across a fireplace, then this is museum going at its best. There are two Vermeers. <BR> <BR>Admission is $6, I think. It is located at the corner of 5th Avenue and 70th Street, about 11 blocks south of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. <BR> <BR>I would allow two or three hours even to skim the building and its collection. It's closed on Monday.

Joe Feb 28th, 2000 09:03 AM

This is another vote in favor of visiting. The Frick is one of very few "jewel box" collections. Its small, studded with great masterpieces, and in a beutiful setting

Tom Feb 28th, 2000 09:17 AM

Another vote for the Frick. Among the great things going for it is the size. It does not take all day and miles of walking to see the collection. Other museums like the Met are overflowing with people. At the Frick,the crowds are smaller and generally well behaved, and it is possible to stand directly in front of the paintings and sculptures. Much of Frick's original furniture is still in the house, including the huge pipe organ in the hall, with recitals during the day. It is a great collection, my favorite museum in NY.

elaine Feb 28th, 2000 01:24 PM

It also has a great Acoustiguide. <BR>Most of the masterpieces are numbered, and as you see each one you can dial the number into your Acoustiguide in order to hear something about the work. <BR>That way you only have to listen to what interests you.

Donna Feb 28th, 2000 03:52 PM

Next time, it would be nice if you preceeded your request with "Please". Anyway, the Frick Collection (it's not a museum, per se, but a private mansion loaded with treasures of all kinds) is one of the finest collections we've ever seen. I especially enjoyed the room with the walls covered in Fragonard panels and the inside garden.

Buddy Feb 29th, 2000 06:38 AM

Hey Donna, when you get a second pull that stick out of your butt.

Chica Feb 29th, 2000 07:18 AM

ButtY: <BR>Importe de sus maneras! <BR> <BR>

cherie Feb 29th, 2000 12:02 PM

Get a copy of January 2000 Town & Country for a preview of whats at the Frick.

Meg Feb 29th, 2000 08:34 PM

I was there three days ago. The house is almost as impressive as the artwork. Definitely worth the time.

Maureen Feb 29th, 2000 08:40 PM

Hey, "Buddy?" You had nothing interesting to offer? As there's obviously one up yours (or maybe you're not so lucky?), perhaps you could offer suggestions on removing same?

jason Mar 1st, 2000 10:46 AM

I have seen Buddy's postings frequently on this forum as well as Europe. All he has to offer is sly and abnoxious comments..Hey Jerk----Go play somewhere else

Buddy Mar 1st, 2000 11:45 AM

Still haven't bought that dictionary, have you Jason?

Tara Mar 1st, 2000 06:45 PM

Hey, Buddy (you're not really anonymous, we all know who you are...), you may believe you are pissing us all off, but, actually, you're a hoot and a "find" whenever we needed a good laugh. Sometimes the abysmal is hilarious. Now, about that dictionary...

God Mar 1st, 2000 08:28 PM

Buddy: You're sticking it (whatever) in the wrong place here...