Reload this Page > Tell me about South Seas Plantation in Captiva

Tell me about South Seas Plantation in Captiva

Jun 17th, 1998, 12:36 PM
Chris

Tell me about South Seas Plantation in Captiva

I would love your opinions. Thanks

Jun 17th, 1998, 04:41 PM
Shelly Reichel

We loved SSP when we were there in '94. There are something like 18 swimming pools, 2 miles of beach, a marina, several restaurants, live entertainment, and shops. We had a very comfortable room with a huge bathroom that had two separate showers. Service was excellent. There's a wide range of accomodations to choose from. We thought it was the best place to stay on Captiva or Sanibel and would definately return. Have fun!

Jun 18th, 1998, 08:14 AM
kam

South Seas is lovely. I would certainly recommend it. Only downside is that it's pretty far up on Captiva so you have to fight with the traffic through Sanibel to get there.

Jul 2nd, 1998, 08:19 PM
Joanne

we've had 4 weeks of time share at South Seas for 20 years and love it. We call it out "Camelot. Once you"re at the plantation, you don't have to leave. Therea is shopping (grocery and otherwise) at the entrance, swimming pools all over, the Gulf, tennis, golf, day camps for the kids, restaurants. jogging, rollerblading, bycyling, almost any activity you want and it stretches about 2 miles along the Gulf. Enjoy

Jul 2nd, 1998, 11:24 PM
Steve

My wife and I have been trying to trade an RCI timeshare week for South Seas with no luck yet.

What is the best time of year to go? I would like my three-year old to enjoy good shelling without freezing in the surf.

Also, I've read that shelling is poor during the offseason. Is this true or marketing hype?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jul 3rd, 1998, 09:55 AM
kam

We used to take babies and little ones to Sanibel for Easter vacation and the weather and water was super. Think the shelling is better on Sanibel because of the shape and location of the island, but South Seas is super lovely. For a real treat hire a boat from Captiva and go up to Caya Costa island----uninhabited with sand dollars all over the place! Maybe for a 3 year old this is over kill! Anyway it's a great place---what is RCI?

Jul 4th, 1998, 03:24 AM
Steve

Hi kam! Thanks for the info.

RCI (Resort Condominiums International) is the largest timeshare trading service. If you own a timeshare week or floating time at one of the 3,000-plus affiliated resorts, you are eligible to join RCI (you don't have to). Theoretically, you can then trade your week in any given year to go to any of these other resorts.

However, I'm finding that the most desirable resorts are very difficult to get. It took 10 months to book places on Maui and Kauai. About the same wait for Branson. Captiva and Sanibel are considered almost impossible to get, with South Seas Plantation being the Holy Grail. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's the RCI link: http://www.rci.com/home.html

Jul 4th, 1998, 07:12 PM
Joanne

The secret to renting at Captiva is to find time share owners who will rent!!

Jul 5th, 1998, 03:30 PM
Jim Duncan

About 6 yrs ago we stayed on Sanibel but visited SSP several times. Went on a evening cruise to Useppa (sp?) Island where the package included dinner - beautiful island, great cruise, not a memorable meal but a memorable night.

Dec 4th, 1999, 01:59 PM
Larry

Many privately owned condos in South Seas are available at substantially lower rates than South Seas charges. Visit vacationspot.com/2112southseasplantation.htm for an example.

Dec 4th, 1999, 06:06 PM
Ms. Sanibel

to the person who asked about the best beach time. Best shelling is the time of year that many shun. Hurricane season. We don't get many hurricanes even coming near us (check out paths at weather sites) but the summer storms stir up the gulf and bring on the shells. Cold water during winter and calm seas do nothing for shelling. There is no bad season as far as I'm concerned, and I live here all year round. I do prefer the quiet summer months with that lovely warmish bathtub they call the gulf.

Dec 7th, 1999, 04:16 PM
steve

Chris,

My wife and I were just there over thankgiving. SSP is a really nice piece of land out on the end of Captiva. The activities, watersports, beaches, day trips on the water, were all excellent. I didn't mind being all the way out on the island either, much more quiet and the better restuarants(in my opinion) are right there by SSP. Alot of families there too. Our first room was pretty "skeevy" with an excellent view though. Had to give it up for a room in better condition but not quite as nice a view. All in all a very nice trip. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Search this Thread