Tell me about online photo albums...

Jan 1st, 2009, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Tell me about online photo albums...

I am very new to digital photography and my learning curve is slow because I don't have a lot of free time and I don't have anyone in the household to help me.

Now that I have my first batch of digital pix of my recent vacation, I would love to start a digital album but I don't know where to begin. Which websites are available, helpful and free? Which websites do Fodor's folks find user friendly?I want to be able to post my pix and place text with them for now....I'm sure as I go along, I'll have more requests!!
Thanks in advance!!
Jan 1st, 2009, 05:12 AM

For a site that's free, simple, intuitive, but lets you set up separate "albums" with captions for easy sharing, I like http://www.kodakgallery.com/
Jan 1st, 2009, 05:28 AM

I really like Picasa Web http://picasa.google.com/features.html.
Jan 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM
J62

I've used several, including Kodak and Picassa. In the end I've settled on snapfish.com. The primary reason is that they have great prices on prints and often run 9c or 10c specials. They also have very easy uploads - 100+ pix at a time.

It may not be as convenient as others for organizing or sharing (it's pretty good tho), but the last thing I want to do is maintain multiple sites so I've stuck with it.
Jan 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM

I like shutterfly.com. The pictures I've ordered have been excellent quality. I created a photo book and it was so unbelievably easy, and I'm a little technology challenged myself. I've also seen wonderful creations friends have made on snapfish.com

I have used Kodak.com but you can't share on Fodors or other websites unless the viewer is a register user. It's easy to share on shutterfly. I'm not sure about snapfish but I think it's good for sharing as well.
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM

I use Shutterfly and am very happy with them. I also order my pics from them. They're very good quality and come quickly.
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far.... I am not interested in ordering prints, so I should take that out of the equation...sorry I didn't mention it before.
Most important is ease of use and plenty of instructions. Yesterday, I started to try to use one site(not mentioned here so far) that was quite difficult....I couldn't arrange my pix chronologically and I got all flummoxed. Today I am smarter and asking for your input!
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM

"I have used Kodak.com but you can't share on Fodors or other websites unless the viewer is a register user. "

That's not true. The opening page requests a login, but a visitor can also just click on the first image, without any login.
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM

I'd try flickr

flickr
smugmug
webshots
pbase
photobucket
photo.net
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM

I have tried clicking on links on 2 or 3 different trip reports posted on Trip Advisor where the poster used Kodak. I was unable to view the pics without logging in, and I tried several different times. And many people posted replies stating that they couldn't view the pics either. The first time I tried posting a trip report the same thing happenned to me, but this was 2 years ago. So maybe all of us just couldn't figure it out, or it was a problem with those particular links, but I prefer Shutterfly's ease of access.
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
KVR

We have all of our vacation picss on Webshots. Easy to upload, edit, crop and post a caption. There is a free service in which you can post a specific number of pictures or a paidd version of $23.00 a year in which you can post a very large number of pics. I have the paid version and so far we have 28 seperate books of all of our vacations, and still adding to it.

If your interested here's our link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

I have to agree that some on-line photo albums, they make the viewer sign up or log on in order to see the pictures. I don't like that. Webshots isn't like that unless you set your pictures to "private". All of ours are set to "public, so anyone can view them at any time.
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

OK...this is great info. I definitely want to be able to create links in my emails to friends/family so that they can quickly view pix. Having folks have to register to view my albums is not an option...
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM

Emily, everyone has own preferences and choosing what works the best for you can be a time consuming task. I think I tried them all and I can only add from my personal experience that somehow pictures I had on webshots became of lesser quality than identical pictures I have on kodakgallery. All you have to do if you want to see photos with Kodak is to sign in. Not a big deal if you really, really want to see somebody's pictures. There is no obligation to buy or have your own albums with Kodak. I have with Kodak over 100 albums and some of them have over 100 pictures each. Free
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM

I use Kodak Gallery and have never had any problems sharing photos. If I want to share a particular album to a bunch of people, like here, I send myself an invitation and then post that link. No on has to register to view you photos.
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM

Emily, I would use kodakgallery.com or snapfish.com. Choose one and just stick with it. It's pretty much a tossup between these two. They are easy, straightforward, and most other people are familiar with them.
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM

iamq, that's a good news. I only share my pictures with a few firends and family. I don't see why anyone on this board would want to look at my pictures. LOL!
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:44 AM

Heres my 2 cents worth. I love http://flickr.com/ and my wife loves http://picasa.google.com/features.html
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:48 AM

As iamq mentioned, Kodakgallery has an easy option for sending "invitations" to view any specific album(s) you choose to share. It even has address-book type features like saving groups (e.g., family or travel friends). No login is required to view albums via the invitations.

If people have had trouble using kodakgallery links, perhaps those were links copied from the album owner's view.
Jan 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM

My photo site is My Photo Album . Com

I like the choices you have to be creative. There is a free version and a Club version for $20.00 per year. I have many photos so I use the Club.

link
http://www.myphotoalbum.com
Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

OK...does anyone have an album in kodak gallery that you can link me to....I would like to see how it looks with a completed album..

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO