Teenager in LA for 1 day

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:37 AM
holly

Teenager in LA for 1 day

Our family has a one day layover in LA on our way from Chicago to Maui. We have two teenagers who are very interested in spotting stars and cool shopping. What are the new "in" places to explore? Thanks for any help
Holly

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:48 AM
KewlBoi

Get real.You think anybody can really spot stars.Not a chance.These days most stars DONT wanna be spotted.Look at ole Ryder girl.LOL!! Got spotted anywayz.Rodeo Drive is a good bet.It aint new either.Anywhere in SantaMonica.You wont see the stars but you'll prbly see somebody who THINKS they do.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Merilee

Try Melrose Avenue for shopping and dining in trendy places. Of course, there's also Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, but there are many tourists there hoping to spot a celebrity. The Beverly Center (mall) on Beverly Blvd. in LA may also be a good bet to see a celebrity. There are also many nice little cafes and boutiques along Sunset. Mel's Drive-In on Sunset is a fun 50's style place to eat. Teenagers may especially like it for the burgers, shakes, etc. Spago's on North Canon Dr. or Mr. Chow on North Camden in Beverly Hills are restuarants that are often frequented by celebrities. And finally, Gelson's Market on Sunset in Pacific Palisades and Cooke's Family Market on Heathercliff Road in Malibu are also good spots to see a celebrity.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:05 AM
holly

Thanks Merilee. Your suggestions are great.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:06 AM
hollywoodgal

Good suggestions from Merilee. Also, try the Grove and Farmers' Market on Third and Fairfax for shopping, lunch, and a possible celeb. The other block for shopping is Third Street near the Farmers' Market and East of the Beverly Center. Good clothes stores (vintage, modern, you name it)Joan's is great for lunch

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Celebrity

You can see the superman and the spiderman on the "avenue of the stars" and for a small tip you can even take your picture with them!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Spike

Of course you can see stars. I see them frequently. It helps that I live her and it helps that I work in Hollywood.

They film many movies in Hollywood itself. There are lots of premieres.

Go where the stars go to club and eat.

Here's a good article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/travel/LA.html

Are far as shopping, nothing beats the Beverly Center. There is also 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. Old Town Pasadena. Hollywood & Highland.

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for an update on this message, to see if other "cool" spots have been added in 17 months. Will be in LA for a family wedding over 4th of July weekend, and will have Friday and Saturday to tour. My 17 and and 15 yr old daughters definitely want to see stars and cool stores.

Also looking for one great restaurant that will wow the girls -- star-gazing, other cool things. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:18 AM

The "star-gazing" places haven't really changed. I tend to see "celebs" where I least expect them (crossing the street with me-- Dustin Hoffman--, coming out of parking structures-- Jamie Lee Curtis--, almost hitting me as I cross Rodeo Drive-- Mary Tyler Moore's husband--, unproduced script readings-- Barbara Bain--), but let's list some of the possible places here:

-- The Ivy (restaurant)
-- Beverly Center (shopping)
-- The Grove (shopping, next to CBS Television City)
-- Koi (restaurant)-- this could be your "wow" eatery
-- Malibu (hit the supermarkets and little shopping centers up there)
-- Rodeo Drive (take lunch on an outside patio and subtly keep your eyes peeled)
-- Polo Lounge, Beverly Hills Hotel (cliché, but they still stay there)
-- Melrose Avenue (trendy/edgy stores, occasionally you see famous people)
-- Fred Segal, either Beverly Hills or Santa Monica (store-- rock star chic)

Every so often I see "stars" walking around on the Third Street Promenade here in Santa Monica-- and they're invariably with their kids. Locals leave them be unless they know them.

There is quite a bit of location filming going on on the Westside (I've driven by as they've been setting up). Chances of seeing any famous people are relatively slim, but you never know.

With such limited time, I'd probably take my chances in Beverly Hills. Happy hunting!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:41 AM

BarbaraF,
I was in LA recently and one of my stops was Robertson Blvd. to pick up a few things for my east coast nieces. There are a couple of trendy boutiques there where you will probably see a celebrity or two or even more. I saw the paparazzi chase Carmen Elektra as she was entering Lisa Kline's. It was unbelievable to watch 9, yes 9 grown men do this. Once inside the store an employee lowered a heavy black shade so she could shop in peace. Just a few minutes later they did the same thing to Lindsay Lohan. Anyway, Lisa Kline, Curve, and Kitson are all trendy boutiques on Robertson. Kitson sells great looking bags and other accessories. I also saw Alicia Silverstone and Raven Simone. The Ivy is also on Robertson and although you will pay about $20 for a burger it is tasty and you will more than likely see an A list celebrity.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:13 PM

Robertson is probably one of the best places to see stars and shop in hip stores. Halle Berry is a frequent shopper on that street.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestions -- this is a life-saver!!