Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Teen Visits Grand Canyon National Park on a family road trip

Old Sep 6th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This report is written by my son Den, 17. (for pictures and park website links check out our family blog http://celebratetheweekend.com/grand-canyon/ )

Near the culmination of my family’s summer road trip in the wild west, we journeyed to the greatest national park of them all: the Grand Canyon National Park. Situated in Arizona, the most famous out of all the American parks lives up to its legendary status: the canyon seems to go on forever in endless magnificence. At an astounding 277 miles long there are plenty of trails to hike and views to take in. As I was in the company of two height fearing parents most of these stones were left unturned, and my heroic attempts to make the most of the environment was met with accusations of reckless and suicidal behavior. Regardless, there are a handful of family friendly experiences available for those on the cautionary side.

Our family started our Grand Canyon experience with an initial observation from the Desert View lookout, at the Eastern Entrance of the South Rim. Despite looking like a native American relic, the Desert View Tower is, in fact, a modern architecture (1932) by Mary Colter painstakingly designed to emulate antiquity.

After taking in the majestic views and snapping pictures of soaring eagles, we continued the 25-mile scenic drive along the south rim to the Visitor’s Center and Grand Canyon Village.

Once in the Village, we took the Hermit Road shuttle and hiked along the edge of the canyon between the bus stops. We walked to Hopi Point from Powell Point bus stop along the edge of the rim for less than a mile. There is railing at the view points (bus stops) but not between the stops. We attempted to hike past the Hopi Point lookout to Mohave Point, but Mom was getting uncomfortable with the lack of railing so we cut the hike short.

We peered into the abyss before getting back on the bus to make it to the end of the route – Hermits Rest where we bought some snacks and refreshed. I’ve grown a sneaking suspicion that someone in our family must be a rain magnet, however: not soon after a thunderstorm developed and we all crammed into the final bus back to the Village as the route became dangerously wet.

As we retired to a meal in the Bright Angel Lodge (National Historic Landmark), we were rewarded with a glorious sight: a mythical double rainbow.

A walk in the Grand Canyon Village offers several historical buildings and cultural museums for viewing, as well as a safer way for families to admire the Canyon (we walked the under half a mile portion of the rim trail between the Bright Angel Lodge and El Tovar Hotel and it had a short stone fence along the edge of the rim. The one-mile portion of the rim trail between the Village and Maricopa point on the Hermits Rest shuttle route is paved, but not fenced, except at the lookout areas). Check out the Village map for details.

As we departed from the Canyon, I felt more American than I have ever felt. I vowed to come back on my own.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Well-written! I particularly loved the last line.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Very nice report. I hope you can come back soon and hike down into the canyon at least a little way. Bright Angel trail is gentle and wide enough that my scardy cat DH even went down a bit.

Thanks for the post.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sf7307 and emalloy! emalloy maybe I, the scardy cat mom, could try thr Bright Angel too
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 04:35 AM

Great report. Maybe someday you wiil have time to spend the night at one of the lodges or campsites and enjoy even more, including sunset and sunrise. Walking down Bright Angel in the morning is awesome. It is not scary, and you don't have to go very far to feel the magic of being down in the canyon.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Jayne1973 thank you! we did spend the night at the Yavapai lodge.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 05:24 AM

Fabulous--I have not seen that lodge. How was it?
Old Oct 5th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

It is nothing fancy but clean and comfortable.