Search

Teen trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teen trip

My 18 year old daughter announced recently that she and three of her friends want to go to South Beach for "Beach Week" after graduating from high school, so mid-June. My first reaction was, "Oh my God, no!" Then I remembered that I had done beach week a "few" years ago and roasted dinosaur ribs on the beach. I also remembered that they all will be going away to college next year and they do need some experience travelling alone - without parents. Compared to Ocean City, Maryland, where most of the seniors from Washington DC go, South Beach is very much upscale. If we insist that they stay in a nice hotel near the beach they should be fairly safe, right? They still are not legal drinkers, provided they do not have fake IDs (no idea), how easy is it to drink there? Will they be carded, admitted to clubs or turned away? Will mid-June be less crazy than Spring Break? All three girls have travelled widely, one around Europe by herself. I picture them sunning, shopping, eating out and generally sashying around in their cutest outfits. Am I living in la-la land? Will they be partying until 5am with sleazy older guys who slip them GHB? Any guidance from people who have been part of the "scene" will be helpful.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM

I was there a couple of years ago in July and I got carded everywhere even though I was 26 (and definitely do not look younger). I believe there is 18+ clubs there that do not serve alcohol so there is definitely a scene. I'd say let her go and enjoy it.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I don’t envy your position, but in my mind it depends upon the kid. If she is the Girls Gone Wild type then I am sure that she will find what she is after.

If she is mature and responsible then don’t worry. At some point in life they have to fly on their own, it is not an easy process for any involved but you manage.

If as you say you see them enjoying the sand and the surf then I think all will be fine.

This is really not a call that any of us can make. You know your daughter and from that you should be able to come to some conclusion as to what her time there will be like. Best luck and I hope that what ever your decision is that you have peace in it.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM

On South Beach and in the Miami area you can find and get anything you look for.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Suggest they check carefully with hotel - some require one person in room to be 21. (Not specific to South Beach, just something college-aged son discovered in several places).

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM

RedRock - and her dtr could probably find and get anything she looked for at her high school as well.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:38 AM

There are a couple of pretty nice hostels in South Beach, as I recall. The Clay is right in the heart of Clubland Central at Washington and Española Way:

http://www.clayhotel.com/hostel/index.htm

I recently found out the Atlántica has become the Jazz South Beach Hostel:

http://www.jazzhostels.com/jazzsouthbeach_new.html

I think these would be the best choice for these girls. The nicer hotels on South Beach are decidedly geared toward adult vacationers.

As far as clubs, the 18+ scene exists, I suppose, in certain clubs on certain nights. But the clubs make their real money from liquor sales and cover charges, so they will probably find the teen clubs very thin on the ground. Still, there are galleries and shops and beaches and all sorts of things to keep them happy.

I say let them go for it.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM

The adult clubs absolutely do card - since they can;t afford to lose their liquor lic when almost all their business is of age. But - if the girls have good fake ID they will get in.

As for GHB - a lot of that is their own radar - since it can be found anywhere - and IMHO less likely in the more upscale places (since they don't want trouble and watch for problematic people).
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I will check on the ages for check-in. and I was thinking of the four star end of the spectrum rather than a hostel. I would LOVE their next door neighbor to be a blue-haired lady who would complain about noises at all hours of the night. I have no problem "buying" safety in this situation or taking advantage of the fact that they may not know that the fancy hotels are more for older guests. Yes, they can get into anything (trouble-wise) if they want, here or anywhere else, I am just trying to make an informed decision and I figure that, like NYtraveller, an upscale area will self-police more than a sleazy area. This sounds better than a Daytona "flash your breasts" extravaganza.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM

gail - Thats probably true but on SB things are out in the open and advertised. I would not say SB is the best place for teen girls..
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
wow

dflawless,I do not envy you. When I was in your situation I said "No". My kid was/is very responsible..."A" student, makes good decisions, etc. But there is just "something" that happens when a group of 18 year olds get together. I know that many of you will say "But next year they will be in University & away from home, etc, etc." Yes that is true. But a University environment where you have to get up & go to class, study & stay on track is totally different from a week in SOBE or anywhere w/ a bunch of teens & nothing to do but party for the week. I also know that there are lots of "success stories" where teens like your daughter go away & everything is fine. Only you know what is right for you. And, about carding. Most kids have fake ID's. They do card but they can easily get in w/ the fake ID.
If you are interested in getting a cross section of opinion, you may want to post this in The Lounge in addition to your post here on the US Board.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM

I agree 110% with wow. I just had that same conversation with my daughter, age 17, who wants to go to South Padre for Spring Break with all her friends - who are 18. Sorry, but things are wild there, 24/7 (as they are in Miami) and she is just too young. I'd say the same thing if she were 18. Yes, she's going to college in August in NYC, but being smack dab in the middle of a 24/7 partying scene is different.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Remember Aruba or Natalie Hollaway? 18 year olds can be incredibly stupid targets.

18 year olds don't need practice travelling alone. And an upscale hotel just means they will be "sashaying" around richer, more experienced men.

And yes, we did dumb things and survived back in the dark ages, but South Beach for 18 yr olds would not fly with me.

My (now 23 and 20 yr old) daughters asked about a graduation trip. We said, "only if you'll have enough cash left over to pay for college."
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM

wow-

I don't know any university where you have to get up and go to class unless you want to . Once there the kids are completely on their own - they can go to class or not, stay in their rooms (or other people's) or not. The university does not act as a babysitter or keep track of them in any way. (Of course, if you never go to class you'll flunk out - but a quite large number do at the end of the first semester.)

My (registered) roommate (and this is 30 years ago) spent the last 2.5 years living in her boyfriend's dorm suite (he had a private suite since he was the Resident Assistant). Her mother would call and leave messages with me and I would pass them on to her. Finally it got to be just too much trouble and she had her own line put in to her boyfriend's suite.

And on-campus parties are every bit as exuberant as what you will find on South Beach. Granted there will be fewer transvestites in the parties - but I don;t think they're much of a risk to your daughters anyway.

They're 18 and they are who they're going to be. If they can;t deal with the world now - they really need to learn fast.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM

If I were you I would never let your daughter to South Beach. South Beach is all about parties, drugs and sex. My wife lived here and knows exactly what goes on South Beach.

Will
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM

"If she is the Girls Gone Wild type"

Cardinal rule #1 -- No parent has girls gone wild.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM

LOL. Does mom know that South Beach is a topless beach?

Let's face it, if kids were planning on just chilling in the sun they'd go vacation with their parents. (Oh, silly me, thinking that kids would be trying to save money...)

Kids go on spring break for two reasons - to drink and have sex. Or at least they hope that's why they're going.

It is generous though to rent a really fine hotel, sort of a premature honeymoon suite if you will.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
dmlove

South Beach (like South Padre Island) might not be the best location for a few young single girls, but I wouldn't object if they wanted to go somewhere more sane. My son and his friends (girls and boys) went to Costa Rica the week after graduating from high school and had a great time. There were no hordes waiting to rip them off, seduce them, ply them with alcohol, etc. It's just a different atmosphere. Not saying there was no drinking or sex....

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM

By the way, who's paying for this trip? I think you've got a lot more say (e.g. "NO") if she's expecting you to pay for anything. If she's planning to pay for everything, then I guess you can only say, "I'd rather you not go there and here's why...." and let her make the decision.
(BTW, I've been through a similar situation, but it was a driving trip, not South Beach or South Padre, and she paid for everything. Am I lucky or what?)
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
wow

nyt: In a University environment the option to go to class is there if you want it...not so in SOBE.
Listen.... I really don't want to get into this w/ you. I have stated my opinion & that's all it is...an opinion. Yours differs from mine. Fair enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -