Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tech Gear for Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tech-gear-for-maui-966912/)

Solo_wolf Feb 14th, 2013 04:05 PM

Tech Gear for Maui

Okay, I have finally made my plans and booked my flight, reserved my VRBO and have transport. Any suggestions on cameras or videos for the hikes and sunsets? I know this may sound a little strange or may be a little out of place, but what did YOU take over to Maui?

tifa2276 Feb 14th, 2013 06:50 PM

Not a strange question at all. I love photography so am very happy to share and learn what others do when travelling. I've traveled to Maui with a smaller dslr ( a canon xti) with 2-3 lenses, especially a nice wide angle (10-22mm) with a polarizing filter. It's great for landscape photos, and it reduces glare and reflection so it's also great for shots of the ocean. This also helps if you're doing a helicopter ride as the glare from the glass can be quite distorting. I also brought along a zoom lens and a small fixed length lens so I could take detail shots, like of food. I also take along a waterproof point and shoot so I can take pictures while snorkeling. I carry all this in a small crumpler messenger bag which is great when doing a lot of walking. For long hikes though I think a backpack type case would work better.

Lately I've been travelling with a smaller micro four thirds camera, namely a panasonic GF1 (the sony nex and nikon j1 are the same type) which allows me to shoot dslr-quality pictures with the ease of a point a shoot. I have 2 lenses I bring, a zoom telephoto, and a fixed lens at 20mm. It's a great type of camera, and much lighter than carrying all my heavy gear along, although I do get a little less control then I would with a regular dslr.

Also, my iphone 5 - for uploading pictures and making my friends instantly jealous!

Enjoy your trip!

22tango Feb 14th, 2013 09:04 PM

"....but what did YOU take over to Maui?"

A big camera bag! Loaded with a Canon full-frame DSLR and 3 lenses, and a Panasonic Lumix waterproof for snorkeling. Ask how many of the photos I took I'll ever sell or have hanging on my wall. Yeah! When I go again in a few months, I'm seriously thinking of just taking my new Sony RX100. Seriously good images.

Solo_wolf Feb 15th, 2013 04:26 PM

Just wondering, did you bring your tripod or did you rent? OR did you just prop it up on something?

tifa2276 Feb 15th, 2013 08:04 PM

I did not bring a tripod - but i did have a little gorilla pod for my point and shoot which was helpful when taking pictures of my husband and I when there was no one to take them for us! On the road to Hana where there are many beautiful waterfalls, I just propped the dslr on a railing or tried to hold it super steady (took several tries to get it right!) while trying to get a long exposure of the water.

Solo_wolf Feb 17th, 2013 08:26 AM

Thanks to those who replied. I hope this little gorilla pod holds up.