Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tea at the Plaza, New York (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tea-at-the-plaza-new-york-184461/)

carol Sep 2nd, 2001 01:19 PM

Tea at the Plaza, New York

a fellow tourist told me not to miss tea at the Plaza hotel. Is this a really naf thing to do, can you just walk in off the street dressed as a tourist and sit down to a really posh afternoon tea?? I'm English so i can live without the tea, but is it worth doing? Any suggestions would be great if they avoid future humilliation. Thanks

Robin Sep 2nd, 2001 02:09 PM

Depends on how much of a "tea" person you are Carol. I live in NYC and would much prefer to wander through the many european style desserts shops. We have some on Madison avenue in the seventies that are almost identical to what you would expect to find in a French or Italian city. Just a lot of fan fair around a creme puff if you know what I mean. You can also have a Japanese tea in the seventies along with extraordinary desserts. I have only passed by this tea house I am not sure if you can get the actually tea ceremony. <BR> <BR> These dessert places are much greater part of the drawl to NYC for me. A tea at the plaza is probably not that much different that a tea at any big name hotel anywhere in the U.S.. Some can find this at home and it makes their trip. All depends what you are looking for. <BR> <BR> <BR>Other places I would recommend are Magnolia's on bleeker, famous for cup cakes and southern style pastries like humming bird cake, also known for German Chocolate cakes. City bakery a personal favorite of mine near 18th st. and bway, Viennero's at 11thst near 3rd for Italian. I could go on and on because I love these shops but would not go to a tea unless I was in England. That is just me.

JUne Sep 2nd, 2001 02:31 PM

I concur. The room the tea is held in is famous as is the hotel of course. Both are worth a stop since you will hear about them throughout your life, but the tea itself is not necessary if you've been there,done that. If you do go I'd dress though you may see some who do not. <BR> <BR>I'd like to add that a neat place for ice cream is Seredipity on 63rd (I think). As for a table in the back room downstairs).

Teresa Sep 2nd, 2001 05:59 PM

Carol, <BR> <BR>Funny you should ask...we just got back from New York a few hours ago. Finding a place to enjoy afternoon tea was a mission of mine prior to the trip and everyone I asked(it seemed) had differing opinions on where we should go. My 9 year old daughter and I love having tea at different places and I really wanted this to be special but just didn't know where to go. Finally narrowed it down to the Plaza (just because it's 'The Plaza') and The Rotunda at the Pierre Hotel. She and I peeked in at both of them the day before tea and decided on the Pierre...the Rotunda is just an amazingly beautiful room. Stop in and see it even if you have tea elsewhere. The Plaza was gorgeous but there were dozens of small tables in the Palm Court and it seemed more impersonal. We had a wonderful time at the Pierre--the Rotunda only has 8-10 small tables and you are definitely pampered. My daughter and I had the $30 per person (splurge splurge) tea--it included several kinds of small tea sandwiches, individual ramekins of creme brulee, raspberry tarts, etc. etc. etc. They do have less expensive teas, by the way. One waiter (it seemed like we had 3-4 waiters ready to fulfill our slightest wish throughout the entire tea) noticed that my daughter particularly liked the salmon-topped tea sandwiches so he later brought her several more. All in all, the tea was one of the highlights of our trip and we are now firm fans of the Pierre... <BR>By the way, you don't have to 'dress up' but I think you'd feel out of place in shorts at either place...I know I would have. Capris, casual skirts or pants are fine.

Philip Sep 3rd, 2001 05:29 AM

The tea at the Plaza is very nice and yes, you can just walk in off the street. They have a harpist who plays some beautiful music, they have about 10 different types of tea and they have two types of food (one is traditional finger sandwiches, scones, and sweets, the other is caviar, salmon, scones and sweets). I was there not long ago and saw many tourists dressed very plainly. I felt that the service was not up to the Plaza standards. To me, they basically served everything and then ignored us the rest of the time. It was very difficult to get someone over to fill our water glasses. But I do think it's a nice tea and I will go again. <BR>

Lois Sep 3rd, 2001 05:39 AM

I enjoyed this at the Plaza at a stay several years ago, but there is one thing you should be aware of. Jackets are required, or at least, they were when we stayed there about 5 years ago. Fortunately for us, we only had to go upstairs to get a jacket. WE did really enjoy it. We had the added benefit of having a local opera singer there who ended up singing along with the harpist. It was a very memorable afternoon.

Carol Sep 4th, 2001 01:42 PM

Thanks for your advice, shorts and possible humilliation will be avoided (I hope) and we'll stick our heads around the door and get the feeling first.

Jcameron Sep 4th, 2001 01:45 PM

Just too much ado ... dress in some finery, relax and go in the Plaza and have their tea ... if it's good enough for Martha, they'll take good care fo you as well. But do report back. Your tea will get cold ... what are you waiting for? Ciao

Philip Sep 5th, 2001 06:49 AM

Unfortunately, the Plaza no longer requires nice dress for their tea. I went their about two weeks ago and saw several tourists in casualwear.

marlena Sep 9th, 2001 01:17 AM

This may sound really silly, but the Plaza is great if you want to try and run into a celebrity as well...every time I'm in the lobby I see a sports figure or actor walk by... <BR>M

nancy Sep 10th, 2001 02:15 AM

My vote: definitely Pierre over Plaza. We're talking incredible elegance, service, and a wonderfully intimate atmosphere with impeccable yet friendly service. Check out Zagat's site to help make your decision. Many great teas out there.