Taxi's subways and strollers

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Kevin

Taxi's subways and strollers

Are taxi cab drivers going to let me fold up my "quick folding" stroller and hop into the cab with it? My wife, my 2 yr old daughter and I are going, and we are comfortable w/ the no carseat thing...it is low speed taxi cab driving (we're staying on manhattan)...but I just want to make sure that we'll be able to get back to our hotel at night from Times Square/Rock Ctr area.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:21 PM
xxx

You will be fine with both. Just fold up your stroller before you go down the subway steps if you can carry your child. The steps can be steep and narrow and very crowded. Hard enough to pedestrians to manuver without a stroller in tow. Good luck!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:52 PM
xxx

It's against the law to rid in a cab without a car seat under the age of 4. Any cab driver who wants to keep his/her hack license will not let you in. You are irresponsible to bring your child in a cab like that. This is not a troll post. I've seen several fairly high speed cab accidents in NYC happen right in front of my face. Being rear ended at even 15 MPH is VERY dangerous. Are you really that foolish???

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:21 PM
cindy

Although the decision is yours, many people will try to convince you to take a car seat ("low speed cab driving???? That's not a concept we're familiar with here...)

But, xxx need not have resorted to incorrect information. Taxis are specifically exempt from the restriction to have young passengers in car seats because they cannot be expected to provide them and many people simply cannot carry them around with them in their days in NY.
The cab driver (or you ) may prefer that the stroller go in the trunk. Just ask them to pop the trunk as you're getting in.
In subways, do make sure that one of you is holding on to (or carrying, if possible) your daughter while the other is carrying the folded stroller. People do get on and off trains with very young children in the strollers but it really is dangerous. The train cars do not always meet up exactly with the platform and would be too easy to have it slip or get caught.
Try to avoid the trains during rush hour. Busses are better if you get on early in the route or during off hours, but they too are very crowded at rush hour and you will need to have the stroller folded up.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:25 PM
J

I want to let this one go....I know people do take their young children in cabs without car seats, and that cabs will allow you to. But the law about carseats exists for a reason--because it saves lives. Those plastic partition will kill a child slamming into one quickly in an accident, and accidents happen every day in cabs. Unless you're sitting in traffic all day, you're not going 2 mph.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:55 PM
cindy

J, I don't disagree with your concern, but the fact is the law in NY does not require car seat use in cabs.

Kevin, etc, take a look at some great tips/suggestions on transportation by/for NY parents at
http://newyork.urbanbaby.com/health/...tion_cont.html

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Annie

Kevin, there has already been good advice here about carrying your daughter on/off the subway. You may also want to consider this in the time square area at night. If you are there pre-theater is VERY crowded and people are moving fairly quickly - might be too much for a little one in the stroller; carried she'll be fine. If does get to crowded you can get off of Broadway (I'm hoping someone will help me out here . .) There is about a 3 block stretch that you can travel from the Shubert theater all the way through the lobby of the Edison Hotel out being "on the street" We use this passage anytime we can after theater to avoid the Time Square crowd (it's not unruly - just BUSY) Oh, and if you were taking your family to F.A.O. do not try to attempt the 5th Ave. entrance - there will be a huge line. As you face the store, go around to right side of the building and use the back entrance on Madison - you'll walk right in. Have a great time!