Taxi or rental car from airport at midnight?

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi or rental car from airport at midnight?

My plane gets in at 10:30 p.m. I used to live in Honolulu 20 years ago but can't remember how long the drive is from the airport to Waikiki, and I'm not sure I'll be up to it after my 10-hour flight and with the time difference.

So, how much is a cab from the airport, and how difficult is it to get a rental car in Waikiki the following day? Are there shuttles that late at night, and, if so, do they help with luggage (I'm on crutches).

Thanks again. I think I'll quit asking questions now and just bask in the anticipation
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:53 PM

I feel sorry for you because you are on crutches and also because nobody has answered your question.

I have not been to Honolulu for several years. I think Honolulu International Airport has a website that mentions the estimated taxi costs. There are probably shuttles at 10:30 but I would not dawdle at the airport and head straight for the shuttles. The shuttle driver will probably help with luggage but may expect a slightly larger tip.

How difficult is it to get a rental car. Just make a reservation. I have been to cities where no cars were available because of a convention and I have been to cities that were awash with cars.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Swan, I asked a similar question and was given some great replies. Look up Honolulu airport shuttles on google, there are several there that offer transport, 24 hours, for about $10 per person
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Ask your hotel if they have a car rental service near where you plan to stay. You might not need to go back to the airport to pick-up a rental car.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I didn't know the airport had a web site; I'll check it out. It's not that I don't think a rental car will be available; I just don't know if I want to hassle with it and finding my way to Waikiki at midnight.

P.S. Hiroshi, thanks for your kind thoughts about my crutches. They can be annoying but mostly they get the job done
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:09 AM

It's about a 20 minute drive into Waikiki from HNL airport. It's not a difficult drive, but you may not want to deal with picking up the car, etc. if you're really tired. A taxi will run about $25-30. The Waikiki Airport Express operates 24 hours a day for $8 one way or $13 roundtrip per person. You don't have to call in advance for this service. They're located outside the terminal from baggage claim but not right at curbside. You'll have to walk across about two lanes to the center median. Perhaps you could find a porter inside? You can rent a car easily in Waikiki. There are rental counters everywhere but they sometimes have to shuttle you back to HNL to pick up your car if one is not available in their Waikiki lot(s). Hope this helps.