Search

Taxi or Car Service LGA to Midtown

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:15 AM
DMG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi or Car Service LGA to Midtown

Is it less expensive to take a taxi or car service (which is about $28 using Carmel) from LaGuardia to West 54th Street? Is there usually a long wait for a taxi?
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM

It will be about the same. The rates by car services are set based on what the usual metered rates are.
The advantage of a car service is that if you get stuck in traffic, you're not paying extra like you would in a taxi.
Don't forget to add the cost of a bridge or tunnel toll (0, or $4.50)and a tip with either a cab or a car service. The wait for a taxi wil depend on day of the week, time of day, weather etc
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM

As nyer says, it depends on what time/day you make the trip since the cab is "on the meter" so will go up sitting in heavy traffic or down if it's an off time. If it's rush hour, use a car service. Otherwise a cab is usually fast and simple. To west 54th st. you could use the 59th st./Queensborough bridge which has no toll.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:05 AM

The car service prices are set so they're the same as the average cab ride. In either case you also have to pay for a toll (if triborough bridge is used) and gratuity.

Generally the cab lines are not more than a few minutes (as long as it takes for the people ahead of you to pile into cabs).

I always take a cab since I hate the bother of calling for the car service to come get me - and don't want to arrange them in advance - since if you book them to meet a flight time they will charge waiting time for every minute you're late.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
dmlove

Why do the rates on the Carmel website differ by type of car if you're going TO the airport, but not if you're coming FROM the airport?

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM
dmlove

Also, do the car services always meet you inside at baggage claim? I'd rather they not park (which just wastes time) and meet outside -- I realize they can't park-and-wait, but can't they just pull up when you're ready for them?

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Carmel and Dial 7 do not meet you in baggage claim. They ask you to phone them when you've got your luggage and they will tell you where the car will be. This saves you the cost of parking and waiting time.

To meet you inside is an extra charge and is called "meet and greet" service.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
dmlove

Thanks - I don't need anyone to "meet me or greet me" -- I'll find them outside. Appreciate it.